Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2019, 5:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by kapooncha
They are deserving of parent of the year awards, each of them.
Im not so sure about one of them...
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by rustykettel

This wasn't my experience with JL last month. First and last only on the confirmation, and same on boarding pass issued by JL. No mention from the counter agent when I checked in with my passport which has my middle name in it, as does my AS profile.
Exactly my experience. JAL does not care about a missing middle name on the ticket.
tobikosan likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Not sure where to post this: Looking to book USA-HKG(stopover)-RGN. AS allows stopover but can't book the KA leg on HKG-RGN. AA doesn't allow stopover but can book KA HKG-RGN. CX allows both but at much higher mileage. Any potential ways to book this itinerary I'm missing?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by ralphs
Not sure where to post this: Looking to book USA-HKG(stopover)-RGN. AS allows stopover but can't book the KA leg on HKG-RGN. AA doesn't allow stopover but can book KA HKG-RGN. CX allows both but at much higher mileage. Any potential ways to book this itinerary I'm missing?
Yes, you cannot use KA on AS awards. Must be CX metal. Sorry to be bearer of bad news. Fly to BKK and buy an LCC ticket
Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by ralphs
Use Avios for the HKG-RGN leg. 7.5k for Y, 15k for J. BA. supports multiple transfer partners. You can take a stop in HKG that way. That or just buy a ticket for cash as suggested.
rufflesinc, ralphs and rt23456p like this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

Use Avios for the HKG-RGN leg. 7.5k for Y, 15k for J. BA. supports multiple transfer partners.
Booking KA using avios gives you misconnection protection that buying a LCC ticket with cash does not. Granted , if you're stopping over >24 hrs, probably not a big deal, but just for anyone else who's connecting.
jinglish likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
Booking KA using avios gives you misconnection protection that buying a LCC ticket with cash does not. Granted , if you're stopping over >24 hrs, probably not a big deal, but just for anyone else who's connecting.
It also means you can do XXX-YYY(stop in AS hub/CX gateway)-HKG(stop because of Avios)-RGN if you please. It's possible to use the stopover NOT in HKG, but it would have to be in an AS hub/CX gateway, like SEA/SFO/LAX. I've done LAS-SEA(stop)-LAX-HKG-BKK and HKG-LAX-SEA(stop)-DCA on AS partner awards.
jinglish likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:17 pm

has cx space basically gone in the trash since the vietnam fares?
ryandc99 likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 3:42 pm

Generally yes between HKG and the US. Space is and will be particularly hard to come by between Hkg and JFK
Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
It also means you can do XXX-YYY(stop in AS hub/CX gateway)-HKG(stop because of Avios)-RGN if you please. It's possible to use the stopover NOT in HKG, but it would have to be in an AS hub/CX gateway, like SEA/SFO/LAX. I've done LAS-SEA(stop)-LAX-HKG-BKK and HKG-LAX-SEA(stop)-DCA on AS partner awards.
Yeah, I want to take advantage of that to visit west coast but just not practical to burn more vacation days on top of the long stay in asia
Old Jan 9, 2019, 7:17 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
Yeah, I want to take advantage of that to visit west coast but just not practical to burn more vacation days on top of the long stay in asia
Doesn't have to be as part of the same trip! If you pay the $125 change fee, you can add that final domestic segment even up to day of departure for your first flight, all the way out to the end of AS's schedule. Look at it as a free transcon one-way if you can nail down a date for one, say, six months in the future.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:30 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K (RIP VX), Hyatt Globalist, BonVoy Plat, National Exec
I was just able to book a J award CX flight last minute, on Mon 1/7. HKG-SFO

Had been checking all weekend, and the morning of I saw the award appear on QF's site. Called in and had it booked for that night on CX872 in J. First AS phone agent didn't see it, but I asked to check with partner redemption desk and sure enough they saw it right away.

Otherwise, was going to book JAL F via HKG-HND-SFO
VegasGambler and SightseeMC like this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:50 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP Gold
As another data point, there seems to be some F availability for this weekend, but only when booked in conjunction with a HKG-Asia flight.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:00 pm

Is this a valid one way award SFO - HKG -BNE for 60k in business with CX? or it need to be two award SFO - HKG and HKG - BNE? please advice? thank you!
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:52 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by newdaybegin
Is this a valid one way award SFO - HKG -BNE for 60k in business with CX? or it need to be two award SFO - HKG and HKG - BNE? please advice? thank you!
It is one award for 60K in business. I am flying LAX-HKG-stop-HKG-BNE next month. All awards terminate in HKG unless you are inbound from or outbound to North America. BNE-HKG-CPT for instance is two awards while BNE-HKG-SFO or vv.

James
tobikosan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.