Community
Wiki Posts
Search

737-700 Reconfiguration

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2018, 12:03 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Flew SEA-JNU recently on a 700 and was excited that it might’ve been upgraded. Alas, it had the old seat that showed signs of extreme wear (seat pocket seams ripping with springs visible). Maybe next time.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
First off, I'd like to give a shout out to UAPremierExec for his fine descriptions and photos of the new interiors. Well done! ^^

That said, I have to disagree with his assessment of seating comfort with these new seats. I just flew from Nome to Anchorage in First aboard recently refurbished N622AS and I found the new seats to be really hard and stiff. They're upholstered in some kind of heavy duty leather that has an almost rubbery feel to it. Unlike the comfortable softly padded First Class seats aboard the 737-800/900 aircraft, these new First Class seats feel as if industrial grade foam rubber has been used for the padding. Alaska's promotional material claims the new seats conform to your body, but I felt quite the opposite was true. Interestingly, I mentioned this to the flight attendant who responded that he'd heard similar sentiments from other a few passengers. Additionally, on the -700s (or at least the plane I was on) the seat pitch in First has not been increased to the standard found on the 800/900 fleet.

On a separate note, I flew aboard an -800 up to Fairbanks. Not only were the F seats much more comfortable and spacious but in my opinion the cabin ambiance was much warmer with the classic colorful patterned bulkhead that's been the standard for many years. While the new carpeted bulkhead design I saw on the -700 has a clean, modern look to it, I thought it felt comparatively cold relative to the warm colors of the old bulkhead.

On a positive note, I - like any red blooded flyer in today's world - appreciated the in-seat power and the addition of a Premium Economy cabin. Row 16 does indeed have some extra legroom, though I don't know if the seats recline there. The leg rests in First are an interesting inclusion. While I've never had much use for them, I know they are quite popular with many fliers.

So, I apologize for raining on the parade as it were, but alas, I have to give the new First Class seats a thumbs down. Hopefully, the refurbishment program will proceed at a snail's pace.
thanks for the review! I’ve often heard that airline seats need to be broken in. They’re always initially a bit hard, which makes sense considering they’re expected to last for years. Better to optimize the performance over the seats entire lifespan, rather than peak comfort from day 1. Hopefully that’s the case. I suppose we’ll find out in the future. Cheers!
UAPremierExec likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by ASA_1
Thanks for the review! I’ve often heard that airline seats need to be broken in. They’re always initially a bit hard, which makes sense considering they’re expected to last for years. Better to optimize the performance over the seats entire lifespan, rather than peak comfort from day 1. Hopefully that’s the case. I suppose we’ll find out in the future. Cheers!
Let's hope so. You make a good point with regard to projected longevity of the seat. These seem like they'll be good until about 2040.

My favorite new seats - on Alaska at least - were on board the new 727-200s when they were introduced (along with Gold Coast Service) back in 1979. Wide, deep, well cushioned and upholstered in a colorful red/orange/yellow patterned fabric, they were supremely comfortable right from the get-go.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 1:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Akck
Flew SEA-JNU recently on a 700 and was excited that it might’ve been upgraded. Alas, it had the old seat that showed signs of extreme wear (seat pocket seams ripping with springs visible). Maybe next time.
My 73G ride last month to FAI was special- was in a window and the side armrest was partially detached from the main seat

Yes, they have seen some wear, and are due for a replacement.
UAPremierExec likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Well, Im not sure how many of the posters here have met me, I know a lot of you were on VX1948/Farewell... Im 6'1 and clocking in on 300 so my butt handles things a bit differently.

I was on the milkrun JNU-ANC which is about 4 hours in the seat... I didnt get any cramps or feel discomfort, but my next leg was on an 800 to KOA, 6.5 ish hours, and I absolutely had to get up a few times to walk around.

I cant attest that to any single item, but 611AS (my plane) has been flying in the new config for a month and, at least to me, was more comfy than the KOA trip. So maybe they were broken in a bit more.

I didnt bother to sit in Y, although I should have. The seats appeared to be the same Recaros with the exceptions of the seatback.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 6:43 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Got the new 73G config yesterday on a quick ANC-FAI hop. Only 45 minute flight but really liked it. Was in first and it was a very nice improvement over the old seats. And I loved the clever tablet stand built into the tray table.
ASMan likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 11:36 am

Programs: Mileage Plan
I did a transcon PIT-SEA in F and ANC-JNU in Y. I was very pleased with both experiences. I think my favorite thing is the tray table phone/tablet holder. I do miss the carpeted bulkhead.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold

Thought it was important to call out the adjustable tablet holder in F... found this very helpful
Old May 6, 2021, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
oh sorry, thought I posted it here too (and not just the Facebook group.

Just got to Cordova. These seats are a lot more comfy than the 737-800/900 seats.

And the part of the "new" Alaska we hopefully won't see too much of, and a few notes:

- Microlavs installed in back
- No new overhead bins
- Same sidewalls
- Mood lighting is nice
- Inseat power
- Premium Economy first 3 rows
- Row 16 appears to be the winner now. 17BCDE have NO extra legroom now.
Might end up in row 17 on this plane--is there no additional legroom like the 800s/900s? Row 16 doesn't lean back I take it so I'm not sure how that is the "winner".
Old Aug 3, 2022, 6:32 pm

Bumping this to ask a similar question--does row 17 (besides the window seats) not have extra leg room?
Old Aug 4, 2022, 12:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
No. 16 has an extra 2 inches, but 17BCDE are "standard" legroom seats.
KE81 likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 11:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
No. 16 has an extra 2 inches, but 17BCDE are "standard" legroom seats.
AFAIK 16 still = no recline.

Stick with prem if available (well, F if available lol) my 2c
Old Nov 19, 2023, 6:32 am

Programs: UA 1K
Are there any pictures for row 9? Is it still lacking a window as written on Seatguru?
Old Nov 19, 2023, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by delpiero223
Are there any pictures for row 9? Is it still lacking a window as written on Seatguru?
Seatguru has not been updated in ages.

I recommend: https://www.aerolopa.com/as-73g
Old Nov 20, 2023, 12:47 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by aznichiro115
Seatguru has not been updated in ages.

I recommend: https://www.aerolopa.com/as-73g
Thank you. Looks like the window-less row has been moved from 9 to 8 then. AS website says otherwise, but that's from 2019.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.