Wiki Posts
Search

AS at Dallas Love Field (DAL)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by dayone
Southwest to Dallas: Make Alaska Airlines share Love Field gates with Delta

A bit of history: The original deal for the 20 gates was WN got 16, UA got 2 and AA got 2. UA later allowed DL to use one its gates, then eventually subleased both gates to WN (which agreed to accommodate DL for six months), creating the current DL-WN conflict. The AA gates were subleased to VX as part of an antitrust settlement. AS inherited those gates in the VX merger.
No one has pointed out the fact that WN is trying to force AS to give up some of their gate space to DL. With the full on lovefest between AS and DL, it is less surprising to me that AS would rather add more flights than give up space to DL.

Bottom line, WN has the vast majority of gates and does not want to share.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 8:55 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Applaud for the additional services to SFO/SJC/SAN. . One can only hope that AS will add new routes to east coast.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Peterson4025
Applaud for the additional services to SFO/SJC/SAN. . One can only hope that AS will add new routes to east coast.
huh?
AS just axed the east coast (DAL<—>DCA/LGA) routes they inherited from VX; WN has service to pretty much every east coast city from DAL ... where exactly are you hoping AS adds service?
jinglish likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
DFW would be more helpful as it connects with AA.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Well, this may buy AS some time. But we'll see if these new flights actually fly... 8 months is a long time. AS could be out of DAL by then, just like LGA and DCA.

The question is, which is losing more money: DAL or the SFO/LAX transcons???
Old Dec 24, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by beckoa
Good for AS and DAL... although wish there was some kind of lounge there- had a multi hour delay connecting this year.
There is a lounge at Love Field... the Li'l Love Lounge

Last edited by dmodemd; Dec 25, 2018 at 1:19 pm Reason: Remove triple post of image.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 1:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
As tempted as I was... I avoided that lounge
Old Dec 24, 2018, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
If you had only seen a panqueque machine ....
Old Dec 24, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Last time I was there the Priority Pass sign was out....
jjmadison and MJMLBBtoCPH like this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 4:14 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Delta PM, AA EXP, Wannabe SkyWest 1K
Originally Posted by Puppis
19 daily departures doesn't seem like gate squatting to me. They only have two gates, so that's 9 or 10 flights per day, per gate.
For comparison, WN has 10 daily departures/gate at DAL, one of the highest it its entire system. 20 flights a day in/out of a 16 hour period is full capacity if not a little over.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by PotomacApproach
For comparison, WN has 10 daily departures/gate at DAL, one of the highest it its entire system. 20 flights a day in/out of a 16 hour period is full capacity if not a little over.
If AS plans on flying an Embraer or Airbus (pre reconfig), this would be a smaller plane and thus less turn around time needed in theory. So it could be done, but doesn't leave much room for delay etc.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 2:59 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Props to them for actually expanding at DAL. I for sure thought they were going in the opposite direction so this is a pleasant surprise.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 6:47 am

Southwest to Dallas: Make Alaska Airlines share Love Field gates with Delta

A bit of history: The original deal for the 20 gates was WN got 16, UA got 2 and AA got 2. UA later allowed DL to use one its gates, then eventually subleased both gates to WN (which agreed to accommodate DL for six months), creating the current DL-WN conflict. The AA gates were subleased to VX as part of an antitrust settlement. AS inherited those gates in the VX merger.

About nine months ago, I emailed both Priority Pass and the Aviation Department asking them to talk to each other about lounge options.
Did United ever have any gates in the new terminal? The one time I flew UA in & out of DAL, they had one or two gates in the crappy old terminal. It was a pain to get to and from. I believe that DL was also flying out of there at that time. This was probably 4 or 5 years ago. Before UA left DAL did they ever get to fly out of the new terminal where WN is?
Old Dec 26, 2018, 8:03 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by BobOscar
Did United ever have any gates in the new terminal? The one time I flew UA in & out of DAL, they had one or two gates in the crappy old terminal. It was a pain to get to and from. I believe that DL was also flying out of there at that time. This was probably 4 or 5 years ago. Before UA left DAL did they ever get to fly out of the new terminal where WN is?
No. UA signed a lease for two gates while it was still operating in the old terminal. It subleased them to WN prior to the opening of the new terminal.

I've always wondered if 15 and 17 are the "UA gates"
Old Dec 26, 2018, 4:32 pm

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
No. UA signed a lease for two gates while it was still operating in the old terminal. It subleased them to WN prior to the opening of the new terminal.

I've always wondered if 15 and 17 are the "UA gates"
Actually, no.
11 and 13 are the Continental gates, while 15 and 17 are the American gates.
That’s how it was laid out in the initial artist’s renderings.

That said, I don’t know what bobOscar’s complaint with the old UA gates is at all. Yeah, it was definitely kinda ghetto, but as far as getting in and out, it was practically like flying to your own personal airport!
It had its own TSA checkpoint. And the largest plane there was a 50-seater, so the lines at TSA were reliably short and occupied by, predominantly, savvy business flyers.
To me, that deal was a dream that I miss severely, compared to joining the eight zillion Kettles at the new improved Southwest Airlines terminal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.