Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

F class empty with T-20 hours left - no upgrades?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

F class empty with T-20 hours left - no upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I would hope that all the eligible fare purchases already on the waitlist, regardless of status, would have cleared before any 75K waiting for a complimentary upgrade. I am not following your observation that not all passengers in the cabin were 75K. Can you please expound?

James
Lots of leisure travelers, unless they were going to work dressed in track suits and wearing orthopedic shoes. They could have been MVPs or golds, but they didn't appear to be the tech warrior crowd that is on that flight on Mondays. It was the Monday of Thanksgiving week - so far fewer weekly travelers and more leisure travelers.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On my last flight a guy got on the plane and asked the flight attendant where 1A was. Guessing he was not a frequent flyer...
lalala and williwaw like this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, WN A-list, AS MVP 75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Was just now upgraded for SFO-ORD Monday afternoon, at T-98 hours. Could even have been sooner. That's the first early upgrade in a long while...
Old Nov 29, 2018, 5:16 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by bbison
Was just now upgraded for SFO-ORD Monday afternoon, at T-98 hours. Could even have been sooner. That's the first early upgrade in a long while...
I think you deserve that one after the seating fiasco. We are, however, entering one of the lightest travel weeks of the year (one of the good MR zones).
bbison likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 10:52 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee
I have to say AS's inventory and revenue management of its F cabin is total amateur hour.
Totally agree... while AA, DL, and UA are getting better at it (AA has gotten surprisingly good at it recently IMO), the VX merger has somehow made AS even worse at it than before.

Originally Posted by Kacee
They really just don't seem to have any idea how to manage those seats, either for sale or upgrade.
The transcon F flights on the 8F Airbus are a great example of this... because, to AS, somehow $200 for Y and $1500 for domestic F makes perfect sense. There is little semblance of an effort to sell discount first ('P' fares) on most routes. Often, this leaves something like 7 of the 8 seats are available at T-2 when the inevitable upgrade dump happens, which may or may not actually dump in the proper order based on the original upgrade list due to AS' ever-present IT difficulties. Sure, they make me sweat when I'm something like #6 on the upgrade list even as a 75k because I booked a cheapo G/T/R fare, but not to worry, I'll still be upgraded and enjoy my lack of PDB, non-lieflat seat, and lack of proper route network when things go IROPS. AS is delusional with their premium cabin pricing, and anyone who routinely pays for it may be a bit off themselves.

Last edited by metallo; Nov 29, 2018 at 11:16 pm
Old Nov 30, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: Gold 75K
I was on that flight and was one of the lucky ones that got upgraded. I'm Gold, not 75K. It's the first Monday morning flight SEA to Bay Area where I have received an upgrade in awhile. The upgrade list is usually really, really, long.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: Gold 75K
I was on flight 2273 today from SEA to SFO (diverted to Oakland due to weather). There was a long upgrade list. I was #9 . Seat 1A went out empty
Old Jan 26, 2019, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA GS; Former Alaska MVPG75/DL Diamond/NW Platinum/BA Gold
Have they done something recently to fix Airbii transcon upgrades? I'm starting to get them at T-120, versus always T-2 over the last few months.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:14 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Originally Posted by Manoa Chris
Have they done something recently to fix Airbii transcon upgrades? I'm starting to get them at T-120, versus always T-2 over the last few months.
Regularly receive my emailed notice 2-5 days in advance over the past 6 months as 75K
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by Xrayman
Regularly receive my emailed notice 2-5 days in advance over the past 6 months as 75K
Out of curiosity, which route?

Pretty well documented on this thread and others that U inventory is (was?) held back on transcon Airbus routes only to be released en masse a couple hours out.

For me, upgrades became a consistent T-2 hours starting in late September, back to normal when the route was flown by 737s in December, back to T-2 for the first half of January, and now seem to be working like last summer again (mostly on SFO-RDU, a route with few elites and light loads).
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:53 am

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Out of curiosity, which route?

Pretty well documented on this thread and others that U inventory is (was?) held back on transcon Airbus routes only to be released en masse a couple hours out.

For me, upgrades became a consistent T-2 hours starting in late September, back to normal when the route was flown by 737s in December, back to T-2 for the first half of January, and now seem to be working like last summer again (mostly on SFO-RDU, a route with few elites and light loads).
SEA to MKE route.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 9:49 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I've cleared an even dozen Airbus upgrades this month on SFO-RDU-SFO. 75% have cleared in advance, some as far as five days out. The remaining flights were gate upgrades where I was #1 on the list.
Xrayman likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by Xrayman
SEA to MKE route.
isnt that flown on 737s?

the theory for why Airbus upgrades are (were?) broken is the fewer first class seats.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
I've cleared an even dozen Airbus upgrades this month on SFO-RDU-SFO. 75% have cleared in advance, some as far as five days out. The remaining flights were gate upgrades where I was #1 on the list.
yeah, the last two weeks I’ve been getting them five days out, but that’s a change from the T-2 routine of the past (outside of the ~5 weeks of 737 service at the end of the year.... those upgrades came 5 days out).

Overall I’m 100% on upgrades on weekly round trips on this route since October, just the time has changed. Given the low F loads, short of a holiday, I would expect 75Ks to be consistently upgraded five days out.... like I’ve seen on the much more competitive SEA-RDU route. Last night’s RDU-SFO flight only had 3 passengers in F!

Anyway, impressed at all the flights you are logging on this route - I thought my weekly commute was crazy
Old Jan 29, 2019, 1:33 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Anyway, impressed at all the flights you are logging on this route - I thought my weekly commute was crazy
Those RDU flights were all on off-peak days: T/W/Sat. In February I have a more diverse schedule with multiple EWR, BWI and PHL trips, about half on Fri-Mon with weekend hotel stays. They could be the more challenging upgrade for an Airbus. .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.