Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bag Guarantee—Miles or Dollars

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2018, 12:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Bag Guarantee—Miles or Dollars

I’m curious how people on FT use their bag guarantee vouchers. Always miles? Always dollars? Dependant on some variables (what variables)?

Also, are the vouchers tied to the individual somehow, or can they be combined in a single account? (for instance, two vouchers for two pax) Pros/cons here?

Thanks!
Old Aug 29, 2018, 12:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I used to use the $25 ones once in a while... but they started stacking up. And my mileage balance started to decrease.

I do miles most of the time these days. 2500 miles is a nice shot of miles. Haven't been able to collect as much in 2018. Which means bags have been more punctual ^
twitch76 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 3:49 am

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
Always miles for me.
twitch76 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:36 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Always miles.
Mauibaby2008 and twitch76 like this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Thanks!

The one time this happened for me before, I was a solo traveler with two bags. While I now understand it doesn’t work this way, the rep gave me two vouchers (maybe he assumed someone else was traveling with me). Regardless, I was able to put both vouchers in one account.

This time there were two of us, each with our own bag. Are the vouchers tied to the pax somehow, or can I deposit them both in either account? Any data points on that?

Last edited by twitch76; Aug 29, 2018 at 3:37 pm
Old Aug 29, 2018, 8:41 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
If you follow the common valuation of ~ $.02 per mile, the 2500 miles are double the face value of the discount code, but it depends where you find value and will use them more.
Originally Posted by twitch76
Are the vouchers tied to the pax somehow, or can I deposit them both in either account? Any data points on that?
In my experience, these are pretty much just codes that are entered on a separate site that are then credited. There may be some other controls that I'm not aware of, but when I got one two weeks ago, the agent pretty much just handed one to me without getting any information from me, so I bet you'd be able to deposit both to a single account with no issue.
twitch76 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by twitch76
Are the vouchers tied to the pax somehow, or can I deposit them both in either account? Any data points on that?
They are not and yes, you can. I've done exactly that many times.
twitch76 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
If you follow the common valuation of ~ $.02 per mile, the 2500 miles are double the face value of the discount code, but it depends where you find value and will use them more.
I think 2 cpm is very optimistic these days given partner award availability, but they’re definitely worth more than 1 cpm, so I take the miles.
be_rettSEA and twitch76 like this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 10:19 am

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
I flew last week from MSP to SEA with two checked bags, (if I check my tools I figure I might as well check my carryon as well) My 22x14x9 pelican when arriving at SEA always comes out in oversize bags. At other airports it comes as normal bags most of the time. On this flight, my checked carryon arrived quickly, so I went over to oversize near 14 where the pelican normally drops but it did not drop. So I went to the baggage claim agent next to 14 and she started looking for it. We walked back down to 12 and sure enough, it had dropped on 12 that day. She handed me a voucher "for having to wait". I tried to turn it down a, but she said it was because I mistakenly waited where it should have been. I forgot about it, but will now select miles
be_rettSEA and twitch76 like this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 10:57 am

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
Always miles. Alaska has been kind enough to add about 40k miles to my account this year from late bags.
channa and twitch76 like this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: Alaska 100k
I check bags nearly every time I fly for work (can’t carry on due to contents) and I have only once had my bag come out late several years ago. Although miles are nice, I’ll gladly take a quickly arriving bag.

DI, on the other hand, took 85 minutes to unload my bag...
twitch76 and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by milypan

I think 2 cpm is very optimistic these days given partner award availability, but they’re definitely worth more than 1 cpm, so I take the miles.
Because the discount codes also reduce tax, the real tradeoff is 1.075 cpm.

Agree that the miles are still the better deal.
twitch76 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Usually the miles -- they're the better value and have fewer strings. If I have a high balance and a ticket to book imminently, sometimes the money. Remember the money is off of one ticket, cannot put 2 pax on the same PNR if the other pax is also using a voucher, cannot combine vouchers if you have more than one, etc. If you need to cancel, you lose the voucher, so you have to change it to preserve it. It expires in a year, and all sorts of strings.

Miles are just simpler. They add to the balance and you use them when you use them.
twitch76 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:14 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
I prefer the $25 discount more often than not. Nothing makes me happier than saving over 25% (Tax reduction) on a $100 one way. Not to mention stacking the discount with wallet credits from Fare drop's (oh how I'll miss thee, bye bye). I earn plenty of miles flying and don't redeem them nearly as often as I should. That's just me and clearly I'm in the minority opinion here. YMMV
be_rettSEA, twitch76 and flatdawgs like this.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold75k, WN A-List, AA, FI, DY, UA, Marriott Lifetime Silver, Hilton Diamond, Amtrak
To the OP... it really comes down to your flying habits and who's paying for the tickets. If your company is usually buying your tickets, then certainly the miles are the best deal. But the miles are RARELY worth 2 cents as someone above stated. Usually they are worth a little north of 1 cent, unless you are booking a last-minute award ticket or an overseas ticket, particularly in business class. Of course, Gold and 75k don't pay a close-in booking fee. I don't know what the rules are for the regular folk for last minute award tickets on AS, because I status-matched from AA a few years ago. But, I also find - not infrequently - that when I need a last-minute booking, there is NO availability on AS or its partners to where I need to go - i.e. the miles are worthless in those instances - and I end up using AA or UA miles on a saver award ticket and paying the close-in booking fee since I don't have status with them.

Take AUS to PDX as an example. You can find prices in advance for this route that are only 10,000 miles, but then again, you can also find fares in advance for this route that are $119 (occasionally this past year I've seen the route priced at $99, though I think those times are gone). That $119 translates into about 1.2 cents (rounding up) per mile IF you get the 10k award ticket. If you are not gold or 75k, you have limited options to change an award ticket once booked.

But, if you are like me and you have to purchase all of your tickets for every week you travel AND you have a ton of miles, well gosh, I'd rather pay less than $100 bucks for the AUS to PDX route than put miles away to add to the 100k plus I already have. I think the question you ask kinda depends on what your current and future needs are in travel. Incidentally, I've never had trouble having a phone agent issue a new $25 voucher when I've had to change my itinerary.

My point is regarding miles vs. money voucher is that it really depends on how you use the miles, how many miles you have, who buys your tickets, and how often you fly.

Of course, it's been awhile since I checked a bag, so I've stopped getting the vouchers, but I used to get them all the time due to late baggage.
twitch76 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.