Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade processor goofed, now what?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2018, 5:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75k, B6 Mosaic
Upgrade processor goofed, now what?

75k, pmVX metal transcon. T-2 got the email confirming upgrade to F, no seat assignment.

Up until boarding, seat map isn’t available and cannot pick a seat. Talked to gate agent and no space available. 3 pax show as upgraded to F in the waitlist, agent claims F is full and calls super who shows me a full seat map. Claims one or two other pax suffered this. Sulked back to row 3, my original row but a different seat.

Does this happen often? Any suggested recourse?
Old Aug 23, 2018, 5:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
All you are entitled to is a refund of the fare difference and that is $0. However, AS should issue some form of customer service gesture for your troubles. Unlikely to be much because you really did not suffer anything here.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 5:35 am
Original Poster

Yeah, completely agree re not entitled to anything. Flown enough that I’ve shrugged off much worse before. Just kinda curious to hear if others have litigated something funky like this at the gate & whether I’d be motivated enough to change my “eh whatever” approach next time..
Old Aug 23, 2018, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The first half of it (upgrade with no seat assignment) seems to happen frequently enough that it's a known effect to many AS flyers. I've been flying AS frequently for less than a year, so I just had my first experience with it a few weeks ago. It's mentioned in a few threads, including one that I started when it happened to me. The second part is, I think, less common - you're supposed to get stuck on the "waiting for seats" list and then the GA is supposed to assign you a seat in F. I was sort of expecting that when it happened to me, but the desk at the gate wasn't open yet, so I walked out to ticketing and had them do it (it was about T-70 min).
jjmadison likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Ah, that's interesting.. My theory is, in those rarer cases like mine, something happens -- like someone booking a last minute revenue ticket, or a higher status individual changing to an earlier flight -- that consumes the F inventory that hasn't been properly locked/held. On this theory, I guess my approach next time will be to try to get a seat assignment right away from ticketing or an agent, minimize the window of opportunity to lose the seat..

Poked Alaska Cares with a gracious note and will see if anything comes of it.. *shrug*

thanks!
Old Aug 23, 2018, 11:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by mikeysf
Ah, that's interesting.. My theory is, in those rarer cases like mine, something happens -- like someone booking a last minute revenue ticket, or a higher status individual changing to an earlier flight -- that consumes the F inventory that hasn't been properly locked/held. On this theory, I guess my approach next time will be to try to get a seat assignment right away from ticketing or an agent, minimize the window of opportunity to lose the seat..

Poked Alaska Cares with a gracious note and will see if anything comes of it.. *shrug*

thanks!
Thanks for sharing and please keep us updated.

I think the theory holds about sdc/F rev pax.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 12:06 pm
T2A

Programs: Alaska MVPG
Originally Posted by mikeysf

thanks!
Sounds like a good plan. I'd highly recommend calling in to get a seat assignment if at any point you're upgraded and it won't let you select a seat. I've found the phone agents very helpful in those situations and it beats waiting for a gate agent.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/3MM, DL MM, former fan of TWA
Originally Posted by chrisl137
you're supposed to get stuck on the "waiting for seats" list and then the GA is supposed to assign you a seat in F.
This has happened to me twice, and both times in LAX on pmVX metal. Email and app notification of the upgrade, typically 2 hours before flight. Both times, I checked in with the counter staff and they told me that I had to get my seat at the gate. Both times, my name disappeared from the upgrade waitlist and appeared on the "awaiting seats" list. First time, I checked in with the gate and they handed me a boarding pass for 19C. Fortunately, they still had an empty seat in First, so when I showed them the emails and the apps, they gave it to me. Second time, the agent seemed like she wanted to help (again with one remaining empty F seat) and tried all kinds of things to give me the seat. After quite a while, an F boarding pass came out. So I never got the downgrade but it was not very pleasant and didn't build confidence.
mikeysf likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/3MM, DL MM, former fan of TWA
Originally Posted by Often1
All you are entitled to is a refund of the fare difference and that is $0. However, AS should issue some form of customer service gesture for your troubles. Unlikely to be much because you really did not suffer anything here.
If a pax has received email notification of an upgrade, wouldn't this scenario be viewed as a downgrade, and be subject to downgrade compensation?

I've been downgraded after using upgrade instruments (so no fare difference) and have received comp. One example that comes to mind is from UA on a flight EWR-HKG when I had previously upgraded with a Systemwide... downgrade comp was a $1500 cert.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gary_nj
Both times, my name disappeared from the upgrade waitlist and appeared on the "awaiting seats" list. First time, I checked in with the gate and they handed me a boarding pass for 19C. Fortunately, they still had an empty seat in First, so when I showed them the emails and the apps, they gave it to me.
The getting moved to the standby list is the disconcerting part - I had a nice exit row window seat (premium class, since it was an Airbus) when it happened to me. It makes me inclined to print my boarding pass at home or take a screenshot if I'm on the road. With the app on the iphone it updates the boarding pass in your wallet when it puts you on standby, so it doesn't leave a trail indicating that you had a seat before.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 11:26 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by gary_nj
If a pax has received email notification of an upgrade, wouldn't this scenario be viewed as a downgrade, and be subject to downgrade compensation?
Unlike UA, AS does not have a generous downgrade policy. Fare difference, reissuance of a GGU (if used), and maybe a token goodwill gesture seems to be what's given.
gary_nj likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 3:48 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Bonvoy Titanium, NEXUS
Similar experience to me any colleague this morning on AS393 SEA-PDX. If this had been any longer then a 25 minute flight I would have been more stressed. Curious for others who have experienced this: Did you book via a travel agent? We use Egencia at our business. I wonder if that is somehow gumming up the works. I also wonder if a gate agent started processing upgrades then got pulled away to do something else.

Here's the note I sent to Alaska Listens:

Flight was scheduled to board at 9:10, gate agent didn't arrive at gate until 9:09. Several of us had issues with our boarding pass. The agent was composed and professional, but there really should have been someone there much, much earlier.

I don't need compensation but I really want to hear that someone investigates this issue with my trip: The night before the flight was number 2 on the upgrade list. When I left for the airport, I was still there. When I got to the airport, I had lost my coach seat, but saw many people below me had been upgraded to First. My name appeared on the "waiting for seats" list as if I was on standby. I couldn't select a seat in either coach or first in the app or at a kiosk at the airport. As mentioned above, there was no gate agent unitl just before boarding. When I finally got to talk to her, she tried to give me back my original coach seat but couldn't... eventually she found me a seat in first class.

For a SEA-PDX flight, I really didn't care where I was sitting... if this had been a transcon I would have been very stressed out. This exact same thing happened to a colleague who was also traveling with me... XXX is his name. This has happened to him once before in the past few weeks, which makes me worried this is not a one time glitch. Please investigate and let me know what you find! Thanks. -Brownnet
Old Aug 29, 2018, 8:11 pm

Programs: AS 75K, DL PM
Had something similar happen a few weeks ago. Myself and my companion were upgraded T-5. Checked in at T-23:59. With boarding passes in hand we were downgraded to premium. I did fight this as I did have the boarding passes. Ended up with two $125 certs at this was BOI>SEA. Most frustrated by the fact that reservations could see that at T-2hrs a local agent had done the downgrade and resold the seat.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brownnet
Did you book via a travel agent? We use Egencia at our business. I wonder if that is somehow gumming up the works.
The one time it happened to me it was a ticket booked through the in-house TA at work.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 7:26 am
Original Poster

In my case (OP) I booked direct through alaskaair.com.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.