Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Earning Alaska Miles While Flying on Emirates (EK)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2018, 4:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: ,BW Rewards, Skymiles, Aeroplan, SPG, IHG, Marriott, Club Carlson, Alaska Airlines

I know I can use Alaska Airlines Miles to fly on Emirates. Can I earn Alaska Airlines miles while flying on Emirates ?
Old Aug 6, 2018, 4:46 am

Programs: NZ
Yes, you can earn on Emirates. Check the following link for the earning rates on EK:

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...er-overview:EK
Old Aug 6, 2018, 4:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: ,BW Rewards, Skymiles, Aeroplan, SPG, IHG, Marriott, Club Carlson, Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by minz56
Yes, you can earn on Emirates. Check the following link for the earning rates on EK:

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...er-overview:EK
Thanks.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mgn2000
Thanks.
Also be sure to check out the Details. The T&C for accrual to AS stipulates that the the ticket must be on EK ticket stock. Only EK has this additional requirement.

James
Old Aug 6, 2018, 4:15 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Also make sure to check the earning rates for fare codes. Based on my last experience (earlier this year) - Emirates website doesn't provide clear specifications on what fare class you are buying... even after purchasing my ticket it was unclear. If you're trying to earn at the 100% rate, it might be best to talk to someone on the phone.

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
The T&C for accrual to AS stipulates that the the ticket must be on EK ticket stock.
Does this mean you have to keep a physical copy of the EK ticket stub? I guess its not really a problem as I always get a physical stub when traveling internationally (since it requires in person passport validation anyway) but in this era of keeping digital tickets/records, good to know.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by nearlysober
Does this mean you have to keep a physical copy of the EK ticket stub?
It means if the 13 digit ticket number for the EK flight you took doesn't start with 176 (EK's prefix) AS won't give credit according to rule. No codeshares or non-EK tickets (though I suppose you can try a Hail Mary with a boarding pass if you have a QF ticket number on an EK boarding pass).
Old Aug 8, 2018, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by nearlysober
Also make sure to check the earning rates for fare codes. Based on my last experience (earlier this year) - Emirates website doesn't provide clear specifications on what fare class you are buying... even after purchasing my ticket it was unclear. If you're trying to earn at the 100% rate, it might be best to talk to someone on the phone.
I certainly agree that finding the fare class on Emirates website is difficult, but not impossible. Most saver fares you see are usually Fare Class L which only accrues 50% of mileage flown as EQM/RDM on AS. Higher more flexible fares with lower change/cancel fees like fare class K also only accrue 50%. Fare classes (most to least expensive) M, B, U, K, Q, L, T, V, x & H earn 50%. To earn 100% EQM/RDM you would need to purchase Y, E, R or W fare classes which would be a significant jump in fare.

LAX-DXB Return September 29 - October 6th:

L Class $1258
W Class $2610
R Class $2775
E Class $2995
Y Class $9847

Finding the fare class on Emirates website.

At step three of the booking process "REVIEW," about half way down the page you will see the Terms and Conditions section. The first item listed is Fare Conditions. Click the "Show Details" to the right to expand that section. For each flight segment you will see a link "view the detailed fare conditions." A box will open with all the fare rules. What we are looking for is quite a ways down the list. We can use our browser search feature to search the text for us. Ctrl-F will open up the browser search box. In that box type in "fare by rule." (omit quotation marks in search) The first entry will take you to the top of this section. Immediately below, you will see the Base and Fare Class. For this example we see BASE - 001/UST1/LKWJPUS1. The last section LKWJPUS1 is the fare rules and the first letter "L" is the fare class.

Indeed it is there but well hidden. Using the ITA Matrix would be much quicker.

Here are a few graphics to help:

Does this mean you have to keep a physical copy of the EK ticket stub? I guess its not really a problem as I always get a physical stub when traveling internationally (since it requires in person passport validation anyway) but in this era of keeping digital tickets/records, good to know.
It is always a good idea to keep a physical copy should your miles not post automatically and you need to submit to AS for manual credit. Additionally you can take a picture of the boarding pass should it decide to take flight on its own.

James
notquiteaff and Jma12 like this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Finding the fare class on Emirates website.

At step three of the booking process "REVIEW," about half way down the page you will see the Terms and Conditions section. The first item listed is Fare Conditions. Click the "Show Details" to the right to expand that section. For each flight segment you will see a link "view the detailed fare conditions." A box will open with all the fare rules. What we are looking for is quite a ways down the list. We can use our browser search feature to search the text for us. Ctrl-F will open up the browser search box. In that box type in "fare by rule." (omit quotation marks in search) The first entry will take you to the top of this section. Immediately below, you will see the Base and Fare Class. For this example we see BASE - 001/UST1/LKWJPUS1. The last section LKWJPUS1 is the fare rules and the first letter "L" is the fare class.
That is very helpful, thanks for the guide!
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:29 pm

I'm going to be flying Emirates Business class later this year

Since you need 20K miles on Alaska metal and 25K on partner metal for MVP status, how do they combine earnings on the two to determine status?

Is it as simple as comparing Alaska*1.25 + Partner to the 25K threshold?

Thanks.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by unmesh
I'm going to be flying Emirates Business class later this year

Since you need 20K miles on Alaska metal and 25K on partner metal for MVP status, how do they combine earnings on the two to determine status?

Is it as simple as comparing Alaska*1.25 + Partner to the 25K threshold?

Thanks.
It is whatever threshold you pass first. AS does not require flights on their own metal for Status. AS just requires 5K more if any of your EQM is from Partners and you haven't already passed 20K on AS alone.

EDIT: example: LAX-DXB IS 8,339 miles one-way, 16,678 return. You also get a 25% Class of service bonus, when flying business, which is also EQM. Total to Mileage Plan would be 20,848 EQM. You would require an additional 4,152 EQM from either AS or partners to reach MVP. The RDM would also be 20,848 for a Mileage Plan member without Status.

If you have no miles with AS your account would Show Alaska Miles 0 and Alaska & Partner Miles would show 20,842 after the flights.

James

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Aug 29, 2018 at 6:52 pm
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:19 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
In other words, that 25k threshold is combined AS + partners.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:03 pm

I'm flying SFO-DXB-BOM RT which the webflyer calculator shows is 18580 miles. Adding 25% COS bonus makes this 23225.

So I need 1775 AS miles to make status?
Old Aug 29, 2018, 11:44 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
I'm flying SFO-DXB-BOM RT which the webflyer calculator shows is 18580 miles. Adding 25% COS bonus makes this 23225.

^ Yep, or 1775 miles from any partner.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 5:44 am

you are correct Alaska miles do not count any higher than partner and can be mixed to meet the 25k threshold.

Also when flying emirates make sure you keep your boarding pass stub . I have had several times where my points did not show up and I had to request the miles be added ... one time I did not have my stub and it required working with emirates to get a letter that verified I was on the flight. this was a two week ordeal just to acquire the proof alaska needed.

I now take photos on my phone of every boarding pass...
rustykettel likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by eagle17
I now take photos on my phone of every boarding pass...
Welcome to Flyertalk eagle17! That's good practice, not just for Emirates, and saved a lot of frustration in trying to find that paper BP that I know I had...
be_rettSEA likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.