Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

We’re upgrading your Lounge experience Email

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

We’re upgrading your Lounge experience Email

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2018, 4:57 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Hey, improvements are improvements... can't expect major changes overnight and at least they're showing a trend of investing in the lounges. Do I want more? Of course! But I'll take what I can get. When I'm up for renewal this winter I'll see if the trend is going in the right direction.

I was going to come on here and suggest that they spend some effort addressing their Partner network where there are problem areas; where the partner lounge is in the wrong terminal/behind security compared to the AS gate. Like in PHX... but I didn't even realize they already added the United Club in PHX wish I had known that two weeks ago.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 3:30 pm

Programs: Gold 75K
Announcing Ocean Citron as a major enhancement to my lounge experience insults my intelligence. Getting a lounge at SFO should be top priority. I'd be really interested to know what progress has been made since the December, 2017 "We're working on lounge space" email.

I know Cathay Pacific is available but since virtually all AS flights are out of Terminal 2, I don't consider that a meaningful option.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 6:31 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by sjbsf
Getting a lounge at SFO should be top priority. I'd be really interested to know what progress has been made since the December, 2017 "We're working on lounge space" email.
I took a quick look through the airport commission agendas since January and don't see any items about an Alaska Airlines lounge being proposed/constructed in T2. Lots of other interesting tidbits including $450,000 for police K9 medical care for the next 5 years and tens of millions of dollars in bonds for the 350 room airport hotel, as well as contracts ranging from concessions to parking management. At this point they might as well wait for AA to move to T1 in the 2019-2020 window and take over their space.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 7:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by tom911
At this point they might as well wait for AA to move to T1 in the 2019-2020 window and take over their space.
I think that is the plan now.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 7:51 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Judging by the pace of things, AS is using the same contractor to build lounges as Sound Transit uses to expand light rail.
RaginPlainsman and PABE like this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 9:52 am

Programs: UA GS; Former Alaska MVPG75/DL Diamond/NW Platinum/BA Gold
Originally Posted by nearlysober
Hey, improvements are improvements... can't expect major changes overnight and at least they're showing a trend of investing in the lounges.
It's hardly an overnight problem to go eight months (and counting) without a lounge in their second-largest hub's primary terminal. This neglect is undercuts the viability of Alaska's lounge business, driving customers like me to buy an AA membership instead.
jjmadison likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by Manoa Chris
It's hardly an overnight problem to go eight months (and counting) without a lounge in their second-largest hub's primary terminal. This neglect is undercuts the viability of Alaska's lounge business, driving customers like me to buy an AA membership instead.
Alaska's second largest hub is PDX.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:46 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by tmiw
PP's website has recently started claiming that SAN is on the network (no lounges listed yet), so perhaps there'll be a restaurant in T1? Assuming it isn't a mistake on their end.
The former United Club in T1 has been empty for years, don't see WN or F6 adding a club, anyone else now that AS is moving to T2, T1 will soon be replaced. Disappointed AS did not cut a deal with the Port of San Diego when Hawaii service was expanded, highly doubt it will happen now that AS has found a presumably cheaper, shared space solution.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by diver858
The former United Club in T1 has been empty for years, don't see WN or F6 adding a club, anyone else now that AS is moving to T2, T1 will soon be replaced. Disappointed AS did not cut a deal with the Port of San Diego when Hawaii service was expanded, highly doubt it will happen now that AS has found a presumably cheaper, shared space solution.
At the same time, I doubt there'll be any significant development in that space until the new T1 comes online. That's why I'm thinking it'd be a restaurant that gets added to PP for now if something does come to T1.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Robert
Received the following email message from Alaska:
"Reduced access" = virtually no access....just be done with this already....not sure why SEA was singled out when it has three lounges...PDX and LAX seem like much more viable contenders for the elimination of Priority Pass.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 10:38 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I usually hit the lounge in the morning before my outbound flight. I bounce between the three lounges based on which gate my flight is departing from. As a rule it is busy in all three lounges by 6am, by 7am it is difficult to find a couple seats together. My guess that is the reason they are targeting the SEA lounges.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA GS; Former Alaska MVPG75/DL Diamond/NW Platinum/BA Gold
Originally Posted by gobeavs8
Alaska's second largest hub is PDX.
Is there a particular metric that makes PDX bigger? Or based on pre-merger AS flights?

Maybe I am misreading the DOT stats, some of which are specifically origin-based, but SFO appears consistently bigger:

April 2018 Alaska Airlines statistics by origin airport
(latest data available and first month under combined certificate)
https://www.transtats.bts.gov/Data_Elements.aspx?Data=2

Passengers
279,800 SFO +27.7%
219,173 PDX

Flights
2,277 SFO +37.7%
1,653 PDX

Available Seat Miles
412,335k SFO +29.6%
318,189k PDX

Revenue Passenger Miles
341,988k SFO +32.7%
257,647k PDX

Last edited by Manoa Chris; Aug 5, 2018 at 7:24 pm Reason: attempted to fix crazy formatting
Old Aug 5, 2018, 8:03 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Do those stats include QX and OO operated flights?
Old Aug 5, 2018, 9:26 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
I understated why there’s a bit of animosity about the lack of a lounge at SFO, but at least that terminal isn’t cramped as some of the others. So, for me, it’s not nearly as bad as it could be.

Wonder how much memberships are going up to pay for the new scents?
Old Aug 5, 2018, 9:34 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by tusphotog
I understated why there’s a bit of animosity about the lack of a lounge at SFO, but at least that terminal isn’t cramped as some of the others. So, for me, it’s not nearly as bad as it could be.

Wonder how much memberships are going up to pay for the new scents?
Oh, don't go giving AS any ideas. It seems they pick up on our speculation and it becomes reality. Just sayin'.
tusphotog likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.