Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SEA is a mess

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2018, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, AA, BA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
yes, SEA is a disaster, I am really curtailing my travel through there the past 2 years and trying to limit it to "by necessity only", though I do often choose to connect outbound internationally as it's the best of the bad options on DL. returning, I try to connect in SLC, because the SEA customs situation has become a real nightmare.
We have never connected internationally through SEA, save for once in 2006 on the return only. Prefer either LAX or SFO for that (AS international partner carriers). And, that was when it wasn't so bad to connect in SEA.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 4:13 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
Ha...just actually trying to drive into Arrivals and Departures is a nightmare. I flew in on a Sunday evening 2 weeks ago and traffic was backed up down the main highway into 518, and then into I5. It must have been a two hour wait to just get to the Airport. SeaTac better figure it out quick or that board of commissioners needs to be voted out quick!
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 4:32 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by rune87
Ha...just actually trying to drive into Arrivals and Departures is a nightmare. I flew in on a Sunday evening 2 weeks ago and traffic was backed up down the main highway into 518, and then into I5. It must have been a two hour wait to just get to the Airport. SeaTac better figure it out quick or that board of commissioners needs to be voted out quick!
It’s like this almost every night. It’s why I walk to the Hilton and (attempt) to get an Uber from there. Drivers are terrible about actually showing up...unless you absolutely
HAVE to get picked up downstairs, it’s easier to get dropped on International and walk over. Especially now that the weather is so nice.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
for those of us who live here, Link Light Rail is a tremendous asset ... my wife and I use the Kiss-and-Ride at the airport light rail station as our dropoff/pickup point when I'm arriving or departing late in the evening, and if I drive myself to or from I'll generally park at the Crowne Plaza ($9/day) and walk the short block to the station
Old Jul 25, 2018, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by pdxasflyer
We have never connected internationally through SEA, save for once in 2006 on the return only. Prefer either LAX or SFO for that (AS international partner carriers). And, that was when it wasn't so bad to connect in SEA.
Once the new international arrivals facility is complete, the international connections will be much better.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 5:19 pm

Programs: HH Silver
I just got back from a trip where I left SEA on a Sunday. I forgot how bad it can be on Sundays, but it was even worse than in the past. I think I will go back to my SAT-TUES trips instead of SUN-WED, it was that bad. Not sure there is a whole lot they can do to improve flow. I flew into Vegas, and it sure makes me happy that they went against the naysayers and went ahead with the new terminal when the economy tanked. It is easy and uncrowded.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
I actually have my relatives pick me up on the departures level. It's much easier in the evenings and POS encourages it.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Originally Posted by tatterdema
I forgot how bad it can be on Sundays, but it was even worse than in the past.
between May and September I try REALLY hard to avoid any Sunday flights between ~0730 and ~1800 due to cruise ship traffic
Old Jul 25, 2018, 5:43 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by jrl767
between May and September I try REALLY hard to avoid any Sunday flights between ~0730 and ~1800 due to cruise ship traffic
The funny thing, I breezed through TSA, but the hallways were just a sea of people. It was Sunday from about 1-3pm. I do not think I have ever seen it that busy. I have a flight Aug 19 (another Sunday) and that should be my last flight during cruise season.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 6:57 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Originally Posted by TravelBrighter
I have missed my last two connections in Seattle. In both cases, the originating flight departed on time, but it is now impossible to make many connections at SEA with less than 60 minutes due to crowding. In both cases, the connecting gate agent closed the door at T-15, even knowing we were sprinting to reach them. In both cases, the connecting gate agent was extremely rude and downgraded us from paid F to Y when reaccomodating. In both cases, we were refused any compensation above the suspiciously low refund of fare difference to which we were entitled (the latest one came in at $49 on what was, as I recall, about a $400 ticket).

I usually qualify any grievances against Alaska with “but I still love them!” That is getting harder to do.

But I still love them!

For me, accuracy is recognizing that a single (or small) number of occurrences won't necessarily generalize to a company as a whole.

For example, we had a 43 minute connection yesterday at SEA with Alaska and I managed to run outside and have a smoke and make it back for a quick beer with my wife and a shot (patron blanco). Granted she started drinking her beer while I was outside.

Personally I typically fly Delta, but i did a status match with Alaska earlier this year to 75k and on every flight we just took with them, they acknowledged my loyalty and did something to confirm that loyalty...I thought it was nice as Delta doesn't do that as frequently.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 7:04 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
My TH flies in every other week to DC, she knows better than to ask to be picked up on Friday night from anywhere but the Tukwila P&R or from the UW stadium stop. Drop offs are okay, we use arrivals, but holy hell, I wouldn't expect anyone to pick me up or drop me off in the summer.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by JPat
Waiting for PAI to open.
PAI is the Pai airport in Thailand!
JPat likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 7:33 pm

Yeah, I dropped someone off at the airport 6 AM on a Sunday morning and could not believe how heavy the road traffic was at that time on a SUNDAY!

SEA was actually pretty nice to fly through during the 2009-2013 period (post-third runway opening, pre-massive Delta buildup of flights). The ATC delays on short flights are frustrating, as well as the longer taxi times. PDX is my favorite for connections, although I would still pick SEA over SFO.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lalala
... knows better than to ask to be picked up on Friday night from anywhere but the Tukwila P&R or from the UW stadium stop...
as I said, try the Link Kiss-and-Ride by the Hilton/Crowne Plaza; saves taking the train to/from Tukwila
Old Jul 25, 2018, 11:46 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond

as I said, try the Link Kiss-and-Ride by the Hilton/Crowne Plaza; saves taking the train to/from Tukwila
Thats been getting more and more crowded by the Uber drivers as well. :/ Thankfully I live south and can just enter/exit the airport via Angle Lake. Fall cannot come soon enough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.