Wiki Posts
Search

Skipped Upgrades Theory

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2018, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Skipped Upgrades Theory

So its been 2 years that Alaska has been aware of the ability to "jump" the upgrade list by simply recheck-ing in when "U" space appears within 24 hours, as its now knowledge that if U opens up, and you are on the airport waitlist, you are not guaranteed that seat. Instead, people can *purchase* upgrades into F or other MVPs (including lower status) can "hop" the list and take the upgrade when checking in at a kiosk, airport agent, or website (doesn't work on app).

This is actually an easy fix - Alaska's Revenue Management system can be programmed to zero out all "U" space, or not add to flights, within 24 hours. But it hasn't. Virgin America used AirRM and I used to train people on that system - they're all the same in concept. Since Alaska has *NOT* adjusted its inventory reduction/addition methods, I believe we can assume that Alaska is trying to pull a Delta whereby they'll sell buy-ups into F before giving it away for free, passively, instead of forcing it.

This happened to me today on a flight - there were 6 of us on the waitlist for 5 open seats, and while I was inflight somehow U space was released to fill F to capacity. Once I landed, I happened to check the upgrade list and I'm now the only one on the list. If an agent were to manually clear, then we'd still appear on the list (website, mobile app, mobile website). But when you "confirm" into "U", you vanish from the waitlist. I've seen it offer me a price point for buying into "F", but when I select it, the system recognizes my status and doesn't charge it.

So, I guess its game on for all of us MVPs... 75Ks versus Golds vs MVPs.

I'll admit that I've jumped the list twice in the past few years, but it seems we now need to be proactive and keep an eye out for "U" space within 24 hours and go recheck-in so we can get our upgrade.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MVPG, DL Silver, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Ambassador
I've noticed this as well, and always thought it was ridiculous. Before I had status (and my wife did) I would check in right at -24 and pay for an upgrade, and clear my wife's for free. I would think to myself, why doesn't Alaska automatically clear status for elite flyers? I don't see this on every flight, and I have know idea when Alaska chooses this method.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I’ll freely admit I used to do this regularly before I was a 75K.

Frankly, I don’t think many people outside of FlyerTalk even know there is a loophole. If it was a big enough issue they would have fixed it already.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 6:46 pm

If I’m looking at this correctly Alaska would want as many people to buy up as possible.

Are you upset that you don’t get the option to buy up because you don’t re-check in (and somebody else does) or are you mad that buying up is thing at all? Because it seems like, from a business perspective that they should allow people to buy up because they make more money.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Dawgshouse
If I’m looking at this correctly Alaska would want as many people to buy up as possible.

Are you upset that you don’t get the option to buy up because you don’t re-check in (and somebody else does) or are you mad that buying up is thing at all? Because it seems like, from a business perspective that they should allow people to buy up because they make more money.
truth hurts :/

the fact of the matter is that there are MANY long-time elite-level pax — across MANY airlines; it’s in no way unique to AS — who are REALLY irritated that THEIR complimentary upgrades that they took for granted for MANY years have now become MUCH less frequent
Old Jul 21, 2018, 7:20 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold

He is upset, because a lower tier Elite jumped over him on the waitlist and got the upgrade space WITHOUT paying for it. Yes, the buy-up option processes just like for non-elites but when AS sees that they are an Elite, the fee is waived. Effectively, the lower tier Elite secures the upgrade space with no revenue increase to the company and the higher Tier Elite who should have been upgraded gets Y. Reason to be upset? I think so.

James
jjmadison likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
He is upset, because a lower tier Elite jumped over him on the waitlist and got the upgrade space WITHOUT paying for it. Yes, the buy-up option processes just like for non-elites but when AS sees that they are an Elite, the fee is waived. Effectively, the lower tier Elite secures the upgrade space with no revenue increase to the company and the higher Tier Elite who should have been upgraded gets Y. Reason to be upset? I think so.

James
Great. Looking forward to taking advantage of this tomorrow.

If the OP is so interested in the upgrade why doesn’t he or she purchase an EF subscription and pay attention to the time at U space opens? Shouldn’t they have the same luck at re-check in?

It still doesn’t help me understand why everyone on this forum is so bitter. If this has been going on for two years why the loyalty to Alaska? Don’t people have better things to do with their time?

Last edited by Dawgshouse; Jul 21, 2018 at 8:00 pm
Old Jul 21, 2018, 8:18 pm

So I understand the process ... basically I should avoid checking into my flight and instead keep checking if U space appears (if it does, that's when I should immidiately check in)? As an mvp/mvp-gold?
Old Jul 21, 2018, 8:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E

Great. Looking forward to taking advantage of this tomorrow.

If the OP is so interested in the upgrade why doesn’t he or she purchase an EF subscription and pay attention to the time at U space opens? Shouldn’t they have the same luck at re-check in?

It still doesn’t help me understand why everyone on this forum is so bitter. If this has been going on for two years why the loyalty to Alaska? Don’t people have better things to do with their time?
I think the OP has direct SABRE access- no need for EF as an interface.

This is something I monitor, and has been an issue for *years*. Sometimes it works in my favor (or other family members) but a lot of the time, someone beats me to the punch. As a top tier elite, I'd rather AS not release U the day of, until the flight goes under airport control. This allows two things to happen. 1) No skipping of elites for upgrades. GA's can still sell upgrades if there is F available at the gate. 2) When I SDC I still have a shot at F. AS had been holding back F on more flights recently, and I appreciate this. It allows me to still obtain an upgrade after I SDC to a different flight.

Why I am bitter about this? AS advertises a benefit for its elites, and fails to consistently deliver on said benefit. Sure, I could move on to another carrier, but there isn't much other options ex-ANC.
UAPremierExec and thegingninj like this.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 8:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
So I understand the process ... basically I should avoid checking into my flight and instead keep checking if U space appears (if it does, that's when I should immidiately check in)? As an mvp/mvp-gold?
Well, you can check in for your flight. And then check back periodically to see if the link Upgrade to First Class appears...
UAPremierExec likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 4:40 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I have given up barking up this tree.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: HH Silver
Question, do I have to accept a premium class upgrade for the first class upgrade link to appear. Right now I am in seat 4f and do not want to "upgrade" to an exit row seat. There are still 2 F seats for sale, and I am first on the upgrade list. Lowly MVP.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by tatterdema
Question, do I have to accept a premium class upgrade for the first class upgrade link to appear. Right now I am in seat 4f and do not want to "upgrade" to an exit row seat. There are still 2 F seats for sale, and I am first on the upgrade list. Lowly MVP.
No those are separate upgrade lists. opting out of the premium upgrade has no effect on first class upgrade.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 7:55 am

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by CDKing
No those are separate upgrade lists. opting out of the premium upgrade has no effect on first class upgrade.
Thanks!
Old Jul 22, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tatterdema
Thanks!
Seat 4F is in First! Premium starts at Row 6.

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.