Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Enforcing "Conservative" FA Dress Codes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Enforcing "Conservative" FA Dress Codes

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2018, 11:20 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by jjmadison
...Personally, I think AS should focus on making the airline less frumpy, not more...
Give me frumpy any day of the week. These are safety professionals who might save my life someday. Sensible shoes and clothing done in a neat and tidy way lend to an air of professionalism and are more practical in an emergency. If some FAs want more freedom to wear short skirts and/or high heels there are other jobs that might suit them better.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 12:30 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Could this be a culture clash between AS and pmVX employees who used to have different uniform expectations?
Old Jul 18, 2018, 2:53 pm

The frump fest that was the unveiling of their new uniforms, maybe a few months ago (?), told me all I needed to know!
Old Jul 18, 2018, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Westcoaster
Give me frumpy any day of the week. These are safety professionals who might save my life someday. Sensible shoes and clothing done in a neat and tidy way lend to an air of professionalism and are more practical in an emergency. If some FAs want more freedom to wear short skirts and/or high heels there are other jobs that might suit them better.
You mean like someone who serves you on an airplane?

Old Jul 18, 2018, 3:21 pm

Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
Originally Posted by bkojote
A year ago I was on an Alaska flight where the FA's were wearing t-shirts.
Don’t male FAs - and pilots, too - usually wear t-shirts?
Old Jul 18, 2018, 3:23 pm
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Why didn't they just give all the Flight Attendants pants? That seems a lot more sensible, in terms of warmth, mobility, utility, etc. Or is that also an option for female Flight Attendants?
Old Jul 18, 2018, 4:44 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP
Originally Posted by IBJoel
Why didn't they just give all the Flight Attendants pants? That seems a lot more sensible, in terms of warmth, mobility, utility, etc. Or is that also an option for female Flight Attendants?
Pants are an option for female flight attendants.
IBJoel likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IBJoel
That's an option at most if not all of the airlines I think. Though honestly I can hardly tell what the uniform is anymore on DL and UA because there are so many FAs wearing different things and I see little commonality from flight to flight, though maybe with DL rolling out the new purple uniforms this will change. I don't fly AS frequently enough to know what they wear.

Originally Posted by Westcoaster
Give me frumpy any day of the week. These are safety professionals who might save my life someday. Sensible shoes and clothing done in a neat and tidy way lend to an air of professionalism and are more practical in an emergency.
Oh come on, if the tipping point between you or I surviving an emergency comes down a FA choosing between flats and a two inch heel, then I'm probably in some freaky Final Destination scenario anyway because I can't see that being what matters.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
...Oh come on, if the tipping point between you or I surviving an emergency comes down a FA choosing between flats and a two inch heel, then I'm probably in some freaky Final Destination scenario anyway because I can't see that being what matters.
I'm not talking about sensible 2 inch heels -- I've seen FAs in high stiletto type heels and wondered how they'd handle an evacuation in those things. I just don't think fashion should be the number one criterion. No apologies.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
You mean like someone who serves you on an airplane?

Looks like something from Coffee Tea or Me. I errored in my post by not saying "If some AS FA's want more freedom..." I assumed that we were talking about AS FAs here.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 8:42 pm

So many garbage takes in this thread.

> lel didn't they read they're employment contract ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) welcome 2 capitalism
> wouldn't want me to assault someone because I was panty-flashed!

I've been very happy with all the FA's on my AS flights.
IBJoel likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 9:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Lol what are the former VX flight attendants supposed to think of this? From chiq to conservative?
Old Jul 18, 2018, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by VX N281VA
Lol what are the former VX flight attendants supposed to think of this? From chiq to conservative?
I imagine they'll hate it. I do. But I also know it doesn't define me - it's just a uniform. They did have nice uniforms, though nothing ground breaking. DL had a red dress too. Still, their uniforms were much nicer than what they're being required to transition into. Hopefully the amazing new work rules they're transitioning into and the great pay increases they've gotten will ease the pain of not being able to wear the red dress or gray shirts. I know there are some at Virgin that were jazzed about working for a company that was known for being "hipster cool" - and to some maybe that was more important than money and work rules. For them, they'll have to decide if the new company is a place they want to stay. The majority, while lamenting about the loss of the "hipster cool" vibe they enjoyed, will be thankful for a career and not just a job in the long run. Alaska is providing a career opportunity with a stable company - they'll be able to work significantly less for the same $$ they made at VX, pay less for better medical, dental, etc. They'll accrue much more generous vacation time and have much better sick leave accrual and they'll have a much better retirement program to look forward to if they choose to invest in it. As someone that plans on retiring from their job, I'm happy to wear the current uniform in exchange for all that.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:39 pm

Come on ASFlyer, would you try in the red dress for one flight? Maybe to commerate the red dress party?
Old Jul 18, 2018, 11:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
I know there are some at Virgin that were jazzed about working for a company that was known for being "hipster cool" - and to some maybe that was more important than money and work rules.
Among the several dozen VS FAs I know, this "hipster cool" vibe by far trumped the fact they were paid less and had fewer opportunities than they would at a legacy or AS. VX teammates joined VX for a reason -- and the reason wasn't money.

i could go on and on, but this isn't the time.

I just don't understand why they make the VX pilots ditch their super awesome pilot uniforms in favor of a conservative suit and tie. I get cutting red dress from female FAs (since alaska is blue) but the grey uniforms look stellar and AS should have adopted them. Hell, i'd even pay a few hundred dollars for one!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.