Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS Devalues LAN

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, Alaska MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, National Executive
Ah this sucks. I have a Latam flight June 28 so will earn 100% on that, but will earn only 25% on the flight back on July 8.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 2:44 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
Ok that's not good. I have a bunch of LAN flights in July that I was counting on. I suppose I have no recourse?
Usually this kinda thing comes with a "tickets bought before X" clause, though this one seems not to. Might be worth phoning them and asking at least.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
This sucks
Old Jun 6, 2018, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Particularly because they made the change mid-year, without much notice, elite MP members can and should request AS honor ticketed reservations at the previously published rates, at least for elite status qualification. ...
I would continue to push back if they do not honor this approach. While yes, they are permitted to change program terms/conditions at any time, it's pretty unfair to members to change the goalposts mid-year for elite qualification.
I'm not at all surprised, but moderately PO'd for the same reason: just booked LAX-LIM-UIO/GYE-LIM-LAX last week and was looking at the bonuses to get me to 75K ... on the flip side, my work travel now appears to be shifting from 2x/month SEA<>LAX to 1xLAX and 1xWAS, so not altogether terrible
Old Jun 6, 2018, 4:47 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Wow, I just booked a One World RTW yesterday. After the AA devaluation, 100% is still earned in L class. Looks like I'll only earn 50% on LA. LA flights are a smaller portion of the trip, but I'm really hoping there are no changes to L class on QF because I have 20k BIS miles on Qantas.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Welcome to reality- if LA says "we're not going to pay you $$$ for our customers crediting to your program, but $$ instead because we want our reimbursement rates to be in line with what we do in our own program, you can either like it, lump it, or lose us as a partner", AS doesn't have a lot of choice. They're not in this to hand out miles to you flying LA and lose money on the deal.
It stinks if one has booked paid travel on LAN, but I have to wonder what fraction of AS' 220 Billion outstanding miles (12/31/17) was earned by flying LAN. It's got to be utterly trivial.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:02 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by rill2503456
And AFAICT, there are no positive changes in the earning chart. D/I/Z got demoted from 125% EQM to 100% EQM while C/J remained the same.
W now gets a 10% COS bonus. And P earns. Yay?
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The marketing airline buys (for cash) ff miles from your ffp to award(bribe) you for flying with them. Selling ff miles is a far better business than running an airline. FFP's sell ff miles for cash money $$$$:- that is what the main business is.

Originally Posted by lax.sea.jnu
Wow, I just booked a One World RTW yesterday. After the AA devaluation, 100% is still earned in L class. Looks like I'll only earn 50% on LA. LA flights are a smaller portion of the trip, but I'm really hoping there are no changes to L class on QF because I have 20k BIS miles on Qantas.
On OW RTW *ONE* and the like fares you can change to codeshares to maximise ff earning if the A, D or L class is available. Should be a nil cost, but some airlines may charge a service fee.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 11:01 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
My LA flight SYD-SCLin September is now excluded from the range of eligible flights so I get 0%. Oh well, it is ONLY 7060 EQM and 15,885 RDM as MVPG75K. 😁 lol.

I think I have to do that flight a few extra times to make up the difference!!!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

James
Old Jun 7, 2018, 12:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, JL JGC
That's actually a great subtlety that I didn't notice. Here's the old eligible flight number list:
  • 1–1343
  • 1400–1943
  • 2000–2943
  • 4000–4943
Here's the new one:
  • 1 - 805
  • 808 - 4799
  • 7500 - 8299
LA806-807 (operated by QF as QF27-28) technically were never eligible under a strict interpretation of the rules, but supposedly the Alaska is flexible about crediting flights where the marketing and operating carriers are both Alaska partners.

I'm guessing that the latter range is all pmTAM flights. LA8000, from GRU-BOG, is, for instance. So perhaps the main motivation for this change is what they've been claiming on the page for a while:
Mileage Plan is working with LATAM to add TAM flights to our award-winning program.
In that case, it seems possible that this was a concession Alaska had to make in order to add (some? all?) TAM flights.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 12:45 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
LA806-807 (operated by QF as QF27-28) technically were never eligible under a strict interpretation of the rules, but supposedly the Alaska is flexible about crediting flights where the marketing and operating carriers are both Alaska partners.
Eligible flight numbers was the first thing I noticed. I am on LA806 but hoping a manual credit request on QF27 will get approved. Flying LA SCL-MAD I class so will lose some there too.

James
Old Jun 7, 2018, 1:12 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by rill2503456
That's actually a great subtlety that I didn't notice. Here's the old eligible flight number list:Here's the new one:
  • 1 - 805
  • 808 - 4799
  • 7500 - 8299

I'm guessing that the latter range is all pmTAM flights. LA8000, from GRU-BOG, is, for instance. So perhaps the main motivation for this change is what they've been claiming on the page for a while:

In that case, it seems possible that this was a concession Alaska had to make in order to add (some? all?) TAM flights.
Ive been waiting for them to finally add the LATAM Brazil part of the equation .. however didn’t expect them to gut the earning rate good catch
Old Jun 7, 2018, 1:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, AS MVP Gold 75K, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
The hilarious part is that MEL-SCL IS valid. I have no idea whatsoever why SYD-SCL alone was chosen to be excluded.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 2:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, JL JGC
Originally Posted by flyingislove
The hilarious part is that MEL-SCL IS valid. I have no idea whatsoever why SYD-SCL alone was chosen to be excluded.
SYD-SCL is operated by QF. MEL-SCL is not.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA PPRO (OW Emerarld), BA Silver, DL PM
W T F? I'm in the middle of a OW RTW (D class) and I'm flying SCL-IPC-SCL in August. I had also planned to fly LA in business (I) to South Africa later in the year. I see how they are realigning their economy class fare structure to many other airlines but to award only 100% EQM for virtually all business class fares is just obscene (really, how many full fare J/C seats are sold? And even they only get an extra 25%!). What's more is that I just accidentally stumbled over the announcement here on flyertalk. As stated earlier AS has sprung this on everyone with less than one month notice while most people make their travel plans (for leisure) several months in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.