Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Lounges (2020 and Earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2019, 8:44 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
get pancakes and top them with snack mix and salad dressing
Wasn't this just featured on a PBS cooking show?
Old Jul 22, 2019, 1:50 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
I have a trip to Tokyo coming up. I have a PDX>SFO on AS, and then SFO>NRT on Japan Airlines.

We have a couple of hours at SFO, and I have heard that the JAL lounge is not that great.

Will I be able to use the Cathay lounge on an SF arrival? It would be great to revisit the lounge, as I havent been since AS abandoned the international terminal.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by brentyb
I have a trip to Tokyo coming up. I have a PDX>SFO on AS, and then SFO>NRT on Japan Airlines.

We have a couple of hours at SFO, and I have heard that the JAL lounge is not that great.

Will I be able to use the Cathay lounge on an SF arrival? It would be great to revisit the lounge, as I havent been since AS abandoned the international terminal.
JL doesn't fly SFO-NRT. JL flies SFO-HND (JL 1). What class of service are you in on JL (you don't get class of service lounge access in coach)? Do you have OW status (Sapphire or Emerald)?

The answer to your question kind of depends on those things- because otherwise it's a solid "maybe, depending on those factors".

FWIW, Alaska Lounge membership access to the Cathay Pacific Lounge depends on having a departing flight on Alaska.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/ai...tion-and-hours
Old Jul 22, 2019, 2:01 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE

What cabin will you be in for the SFO>HND (I am certain you are going on JL 1 which is to HND and not NRT) leg? From the AS Site: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/ai...tion-and-hours

1. Alaska Lounge members must have a ticket for same-day travel departing that city on Alaska Airlines.
The CX lounge is very strict, even for OW members who they let in due to crowding (don't know how its effected now that BA has opened their lounge), and I believe the JAL flight is an hour after the BA flight. So from an AS lounge perspective you will not have access.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by safari ari
The CX lounge is very strict, even for OW members who they let in due to crowding (don't know how its effected now that BA has opened their lounge), and I believe the JAL flight is an hour after the BA flight. So from an AS lounge perspective you will not have access.
I have OW class of service access to the JL lounge on a future flight on JL 1, I plan on hitting the BA lounge (like I did on my daytime CX flight departing SFO) since it's not up on another level and way down a hallway from the international gates like the CX/JL lounges are, and it looks pretty nice (way nicer than the JL lounge). Hopefully they aren't too full up.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jul 22, 2019 at 2:13 pm
Old Jul 22, 2019, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I have OW class of service access to the JL lounge on a future flight on JL 1, I plan on hitting the BA lounge (like I did on my daytime CX flight departing SFO) since it's not up on another level and way down a hallway from the international gates like the CX/JL lounges are, and it looks pretty nice (way nicer than the JL lounge. Hopefully they aren't too full up.
The CX lounge manager and I always chat when I visit, before BA opened their lounge, she told me that they get a sense of elite numbers on the OW flights to see if they limit it to some combination of F passengers only, or Emeralds within J+ etc. So each time it can be different for OW members if they get access based on status alone. The issue was always KE, CX, BA, AS, JL all have access to the lounge and leave around the same time.

I haven't visited the new BA lounge yet, the CX lounge has always been the best OW lounge there, especially if you make it within the 3 hours of a CX departure where its a full spread versus the held back version for everyone else.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Sorry, meant HND. We are flying first class on JAL.

We have access to the centurion lounge with our amex, and whatever priority pass is offering, which I assume is a KLM lounge.

We have options, but was hoping to pop into Cathay Lounge if possible.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 2:30 pm

Sorry, meant HND. We are flying first class on JAL.

We have access to the centurion lounge with our amex, and whatever priority pass is offering, which I assume is a KLM lounge.

We have options, but was hoping to pop into Cathay Lounge if possible.
If you're in F on JAL you should be able to access any OW lounge, they will not(*shouldn't*) turn down any F passenger per OW rules.

Now as for lounges, you will have access to the JAL, CX and BA lounges. The CX lounge will be fully functional (noodle bar, sandwiches, self serve entrees, champagne etc) up to about departure of the afternoon CX flight, it also has a better atmosphere than the JAL lounge. Without knowledge of the BA lounge, I would use the CX lounge during this time as you will have the most substantial offerings. JAL lounge is pretty sad and is just a room really, with hot foods and a much smaller offering of drinks than the CX lounge. If I know BA lounges, they will probably have very limited food but a very substantial bar and tea/coffee offering, and it is brand new. I believe you have 2 hours between the CX departure and your JL departure, so you could venture to the BA lounge (or all 3) once the CX lounge is pared down and still have decent amount of time to relax

The Cent lounge is in T3, which would require 2 security screenings, a walk across the international concourse, and who knows how crowded it will be. I personally wouldn't schlep over there with the offerings available to you in Intl A.
eponymous_coward likes this.

Last edited by safari ari; Jul 22, 2019 at 9:41 pm
Old Jul 22, 2019, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The BA lounge is actually pretty spiff and since one of the BA flights leaves about a half hour after JL 1, it should offer at least a buffet.

https://onemileatatime.com/new-briti...san-francisco/
safari ari likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 12:51 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Just moved to Seattle and would like to use the Alaska Lounges at SEA. Debating between two options, and I'd just like to confirm my understanding:

1. I could get an Alaska Lounge membership. I'm Alaska MVP, so a lounge membership would run me $400.
2. I could get the Citi AA Executive card, which would be $450.

I will be primarily traveling with my wife, so she would be my 1 guest. We'd be traveling mostly on AS. Aside from the $50 difference, are my access rules going to be exactly the same regardless of which option I choose? One membership / AA card will give myself and my wife access? And we'd be able to access every Alaska Lounge and AA Admirals club? I noticed Alaska Lounge membership includes a few random United Clubs at some airports, which I'm assuming the Admirals Club membership would not.

If these assumptions are correct, seems like the only advantage of getting the Citi Exec card would be the 50K AA miles that would come along with it, but for the higher $50 price.

Which would you choose?
Old Dec 10, 2019, 1:05 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM
My understanding is that the Citi AA Executive card gets you access to AA clubs but I do not think they are reciprocal with the Alaska Lounge; a membership to AA would be however. There is no card that AS has that allows membership to the Lounge.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JacksonFlyer
My understanding is that the Citi AA Executive card gets you access to AA clubs but I do not think they are reciprocal with the Alaska Lounge; a membership to AA would be however. There is no card that AS has that allows membership to the Lounge.
Interesting....I think I always thought the Citi AA Executive card gave you the same full membership as a regular AA lounge membership...thanks for sharing. One thing I thought of is that the AA card would get you free baggage if you're not already an AA elite along of course with the lounge membership.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 1:57 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Interesting....I think I always thought the Citi AA Executive card gave you the same full membership as a regular AA lounge membership...thanks for sharing. One thing I thought of is that the AA card would get you free baggage if you're not already an AA elite along of course with the lounge membership.
The Citi Executive card does grant full Admirals Club access...same as a regular membership. I am aware I would get free baggage with AA but that doesn't do much for me because a) I rarely fly AA and b) I already have a Citi AA Plat card which also gives me free baggage.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 1:59 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by JacksonFlyer
I believe the primary account holder receives a full AA Admirals Club membership, which includes access to partner lounges. The (up to 10) authorized users only receive Admirals Club access, not the full membership/including AS Lounge access. At least that's what I read from the terms/conditions.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 2:32 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
I believe the primary account holder receives a full AA Admirals Club membership, which includes access to partner lounges. The (up to 10) authorized users only receive Admirals Club access, not the full membership/including AS Lounge access. At least that's what I read from the terms/conditions.
I was interested in this as it appeared it might be a good deal; but the fine print does spell it out Full Admirals Club® membership privileges do not apply to an Authorized User. It goes on to say that the card holder does not have reciprocal access to other lounges, only Admiral Lounges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.