Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Flying/Upgrades on Legacy VX Aircraft After 4/25 Cutover

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2018, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors

I'm flying an AS A320 flight in a little over an hour. And have another booked in several days.

Up until an hour ago, the upgrade list shown on the website and app have been screwed up. They showed pax as upgraded into F in rows 3-5, and didn't show anyone on a real F upgrade list. That changed in the last hour, now it shows F list but no Premium class.

As far as I can tell either AS has made no U space available on A320 aircraft for the foreseeable future, or they aren't processing upgrades. At least no signs of anything clearing.

I expect I will be flying in a former MCS seat (row 3). I will report if anything report-worthy during flight.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Currently F7 U1 for my flight on Monday. I guess Ill be finding out sometime today who is going to get the U. My flight Friday is F4 so don't think ill find out until at the gate.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:38 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Based on AS statements, I don’t expect U availability on ex VX aircraft in current F configuration.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
Based on AS statements, I don’t expect U availability on ex VX aircraft in current F configuration.
Looking at flights in/out of SFO, they are definitely clearing complimentary upgrades for Airbus fleet for flights within 24 hours. first two flights of SFO/JFK
had three and four seats upgraded.
Jiburi
Old Apr 25, 2018, 12:02 pm

Programs: AS 75k, B6 Mosaic
I'm a MVP75G newbie from VX, taking my first Z class award fare for a VX metal transcon on Friday, with a companion. I've heard award fares do get upgraded, but I still have a lot to learn about how Alaska works. Flight shows 5 free seats in F (at least through the AS web booking interface). Could anyone give me a guess on what and when to expect an upgrade (or not)? Thanks!
Old Apr 25, 2018, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by seacarl
As far as I can tell either AS has made no U space available on A320 aircraft for the foreseeable future, or they aren't processing upgrades. At least no signs of anything clearing.
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K

AS 1xxx = pmVX, Airbus.

PS: have already cleared pmVX flights into F using a GGU.

Originally Posted by mikeysf
I'm a MVP75G newbie from VX, taking my first Z class award fare for a VX metal transcon on Friday, with a companion. I've heard award fares do get upgraded, but I still have a lot to learn about how Alaska works. Flight shows 5 free seats in F (at least through the AS web booking interface). Could anyone give me a guess on what and when to expect an upgrade (or not)? Thanks!
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...rship-benefits
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...upgrades#class

Your Z fare will either clear when U space is made available for two passengers and there is no higher 75K on the list ahead of you, assuming that you don't split your companion.
mikeysf likes this.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Apr 25, 2018 at 12:34 pm
Old Apr 25, 2018, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

On my flight today SFO-SEA:

Website definitely funky on showing upgrades. 1 person did get cleared to F complimentary within about 2 hours of flight

Safety video was the VX safety video with Virgin branding. As soon as it was over, they turned the volume way down for the AS bit about messaging and then the Twitter ad.
FA's were dressed in AS navy blue but it seemed more hip styling. Pilots wore the same Virgin grey short sleeved shirts
Plane livery was standard Virgin
IFE was active with Virgin Red
I was in an MCS row - we could order complimentary food and drinks, same as before. Crew served exactly the same way Virgin did, and expected use of IFE.
The on board experience did not feel any different from the pre 4/25
Gate agents were dressed in AS blue. T
hey told me, they are using matched pairs, one legacy VX one AS.

So... not much has changed onboard. Not clear where it MCS fits with Premium Class. For now it remains better.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, WN A-List
For now, in San Diego, Airbus flights will continue to depart from Terminal 2. The Alaska site says that this will continue “until we fully relocate to Terminal 2E early in 2019.” Can anyone confirm that this is true? If Alaska is leaving its circle-of-sadness gate area for 2E, that is a seizemic shift for the better. (Connections to AA! Food options! Room to breathe! A VIABLE PARTNER CLUB IN SAN DIEGO!!!)

Or is this just another one of those Alaska site typos, and the consolidation is actually to Terminal 1?
DrAlex likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Regarding upgrades, I have seen U space further out, just none close in. They may have blocked it for a while through a transition
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 2:30 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by TravelBrighter
For now, in San Diego, Airbus flights will continue to depart from Terminal 2. The Alaska site says that this will continue “until we fully relocate to Terminal 2E early in 2019.” Can anyone confirm that this is true? If Alaska is leaving its circle-of-sadness gate area for 2E, that is a seizemic shift for the better. (Connections to AA! Food options! Room to breathe! A VIABLE PARTNER CLUB IN SAN DIEGO!!!)
Or is this just another one of those Alaska site typos, and the consolidation is actually to Terminal 1?
Huh, that IS great news (if true). I wonder who gets the circle of doom and gloom then!? [Mods can move this since it is off-topic]
Old Apr 25, 2018, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TravelBrighter

AS has exclusive use of the pod with gates 10-18, with around 75 departures. It's implausible that there is space in Terminal 2 to relocate them.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 2:42 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

I was in an MCS row - we could order complimentary food and drinks, same as before. Crew served exactly the same way Virgin did, and expected use of IFE. .
If not a one-off, this is a big deal.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Regarding upgrades, I have seen U space further out, just none close in. They may have blocked it for a while through a transition

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old Apr 25, 2018, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Brutal times. But proves there is some U as of Sat. Not finding it as of Fri
Old Apr 25, 2018, 4:52 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, WN A-List
AS has exclusive use of the pod with gates 10-18, with around 75 departures. It's implausible that there is space in Terminal 2 to relocate them.
Alaska’s use of gates 11-18 is not exclusive; Southwest and Frontier both operate flights from gates 11 and 12. Southwest is now spread behind three separate TSA checkpoints. It is an extremely inefficient use of space and makes gate changes a nightmare. The legacies are all entrenched at T2.

I don’t know what sorts of contracts SAN has regarding gate assignments, if any, but it seems the logical solution to overcrowding in T1 is to give Southwest gates 3-18, move all niche carriers to gates 1-2 and/or 11-18, and relocate Alaska to 2E where most of its partners operate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.