Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Captain accused of drugging and raping female co-pilot

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Captain accused of drugging and raping female co-pilot

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2018, 10:03 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by pt flyer
I would expect that any airline or law enforcement agency would need to do a thorough investigation prior to taking action. It is a difficult line to walk.
It's still not clear to me if any police agency has been contacted. I can't read the Seattle Times article linked above as I've hit the maximum amount of free views (does it state definitively that a police investigation is underway or has been concluded?), but did see one blogger commenting on the article in detail today. What surprised me was this, some six months after the assault:

In December she was finally told she’d soon be able to return to work, and her crew chief asked her why she didn’t press charges; she was shocked by this, because until that moment she assumed that telling the company and supervisor was enough
More Details Emerge About The Alaska Pilot Who Was Allegedly Drugged & Raped - One Mile at a Time
Old Mar 14, 2018, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by dickerso
Allow the investigation take its course? Alaska's finished, they decided to do nothing, hence the need for the lawsuit.
The first article contained a quote saying that they were still investigating.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 11:10 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Telling someone not to talk about the investigation is pretty standard practice. You don't want the investigation to be judged and explored by reporters that have their own interests; typically to sell media.

At the same time, I won't want my employer talking about the allegation or circumstances publicly either. There's employee privacy to be had, on both the part of the accuser and the subject of the complaint.

One would hope that the internal investigation would have taken a serious look at this incident as there is some partial responsibility for the conduct of these parties while their on the company travel tab.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by tom911
It's still not clear to me if any police agency has been contacted. I can't read the Seattle Times article linked above as I've hit the maximum amount of free views
the way I read it, she didn’t. The article contains these blurbs:

“After recounting how she found her underwear inside her zipped-up purse in Engelien’s room that night, Pina said she regretted not immediately calling 911.”

and

​​​​​​​”Pina said she’s open to pursuing a criminal case against Engelien.”
Old Mar 15, 2018, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by tom911
It's still not clear to me if any police agency has been contacted. I can't read the Seattle Times article linked above as I've hit the maximum amount of free views (does it state definitively that a police investigation is underway or has been concluded?), but did see one blogger commenting on the article in detail today. What surprised me was this, some six months after the assault:

More Details Emerge About The Alaska Pilot Who Was Allegedly Drugged & Raped - One Mile at a Time
Whoa....

So there was a crewmember bystander who apparently saw her being dragged to his room and realized it was a dangerous situation and still did nothing?

I have many questions about this story. Horrible if true, horrible if not.
Either way, I would imagine there would be ways to determine the truth. The bartender and/or waitstaff should be able to corroborated the drinking part. There is CCTV footage. No use in speculating really.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by CBear
Whoa....

So there was a crewmember bystander who apparently saw her being dragged to his room and realized it was a dangerous situation and still did nothing?
Appalling but not surprising. It's very common for rape and other sexual assault victims and witnesses/bystanders not to report for a variety of reasons which mostly come down to male power and social stigma (especially victim-blaming comments like suggesting that the victim made up the story) leading to shame.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 10:41 pm

I know why all these people sue a big corporation (cause they have money), but how is this related to Alaska Airlines? Was it "at work"?
Old Mar 15, 2018, 10:56 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by s0ssos
I know why all these people sue a big corporation (cause they have money), but how is this related to Alaska Airlines? Was it "at work"?

The company-paid-for hotel while two Alaska Airlines are on an overnight layover on a work trip at a time when work duty rules (and probably, though I don’t know this, a work code of conduct) apply may not technically be “at work” but it is sure related to Alaska Airlines.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by ashill

The company-paid-for hotel while two Alaska Airlines are on an overnight layover on a work trip at a time when work duty rules (and probably, though I don’t know this, a work code of conduct) apply may not technically be “at work” but it is sure related to Alaska Airlines.
You mean like how can off-duty police officer does something, and you sue the city, because he is employed and a police officer and always behave in an upstanding and upright way?
Old Mar 16, 2018, 8:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Does anyone know the hotel where this occurred or alternatively know which hotel(s) Alaska uses for crew at MSP?
Old Mar 16, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Generally frowned upon to discuss crew hotel issues - crew security/safety.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by s0ssos
You mean like how can off-duty police officer does something, and you sue the city, because he is employed and a police officer and always behave in an upstanding and upright way?
no, like two police officers get sent to a convention and staying at a police dept paid hotel and something happens.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by ashill
Yes -- the US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, in a widely-discussed case, imposed liability on Delta Airlines for the rape of a flight attendant by a coworker while both were staying at a hotel in Rome during a layover. Ferris v. Delta Airlines, Inc. (Dec. 21, 2001)

FERRIS v. Michael Young, Defendant. | FindLaw (decision)
Court Expands Definition of a Workplace - The New York Times (article)

The suit arises from a male flight attendant's rape of Ferris during the crew's brief layover between flights in Rome. We vacate the grant of summary judgment as to the federal sexual harassment claims because a reasonable factfinder could find that Delta was responsible for a sexually hostile work environment that caused injury to Ferris.   We affirm the grant of summary judgment as to the claims under New York State and New York City law. . . . .
ashill likes this.
Old May 15, 2018, 12:02 am
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/14/us/ai...its/index.html

Through counsel, Engelien continues to deny drugging or raping Pina. His lawyer said that he took a polygraph -- not admissible in American courts of law -- to clear his name and passed.
--
Maybe not admissible but are polygraphs completely worthless or accurate?
Old May 15, 2018, 6:16 am

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
They're irrelevant in the courtroom, but can play in the mind of the public.

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/14/us/ai...its/index.html

Through counsel, Engelien continues to deny drugging or raping Pina. His lawyer said that he took a polygraph -- not admissible in American courts of law -- to clear his name and passed.
--
Maybe not admissible but are polygraphs completely worthless or accurate?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.