Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Southwest Airlines Enters Hawaii - Alaska Airlines May Be the Biggest Loser

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest Airlines Enters Hawaii - Alaska Airlines May Be the Biggest Loser

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2018, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
A "well, I hope AS opened the W bucket" redemptions.
You don't need the W bucket to redeem an AS award.

If anything, AS's awards fluctuating with inventory to some extent much mirrors WN's award system which fluctuations with the cash price of the ticket.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Yeah, I know, the FT cognoscenti go all at WN. But fact of the matter is there's a reason why traditional FF programs and credit cards with a free checked bag didn't stop WN in the 1990's and 2000's from building up a 700+ plane fleet. For infrequent to moderately frequent flyers, WN offers real value.
For sure.

Although I think AS is kind of a hybrid in its appeal (between WN and the big three). A lot of FT also at AS's network and how terrible it is now that AA and DL are gone as partners. But the reality is that there is a much larger market for whom a decent economy product, a fair fee structure, and a customer-friendly attitude and reputation matter, and AS like WN beats the majors on those points, though not to the same extent.

So what about the WN Companion Pass? Seems like that'll be pretty killer once Hawaii opens up.
That is certainly true (and a feature I honestly forgot about; WN isn't much used to me being based in interior BC!). Although it's a good bit harder to get than an AS credit card, AFAIK. AS's credit card penetration in WA and OR is absolutely enormous, as I understand it. The same is not true of the WN Companion Pass. Weighted by amount of air travel, that's somewhat different
Old Feb 26, 2018, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by channa
You don't need the W bucket to redeem an AS award.

If anything, AS's awards fluctuating with inventory to some extent much mirrors WN's award system which fluctuations with the cash price of the ticket.
Since when do AS Hawaii awards fluctuate rationally with price/inventory? The nonstop is a less expensive cash ticket but costs almost 2x more in miles. The W bucket is open on the one-stop, but it's not open on the less expensive nonstop flight. This took me something like two seconds to find. Since when does WN price nonstops nearly twice as much as one-stops on WGA awards if the cash price is LESS?

jinglish likes this.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Feb 26, 2018 at 1:01 pm
Old Feb 26, 2018, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by ashill
That is certainly true (and a feature I honestly forgot about; WN isn't much used to me being based in interior BC!). Although it's a good bit harder to get than an AS credit card, AFAIK. AS's credit card penetration in WA and OR is absolutely enormous, as I understand it. The same is not true of the WN Companion Pass. Weighted by amount of air travel, that's somewhat different
They were giving them out like candy to California residents last year https://thepointsguy.com/2017/11/cal...passes-issued/

They're not messing around
Old Feb 26, 2018, 3:02 pm

AS already canceled my OAK-HNL summer flight.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Troopers
I am sure that was due to the upcoming WN competition...
Old Feb 26, 2018, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
But fact of the matter is there's a reason why traditional FF programs and credit cards with a free checked bag didn't stop WN in the 1990's and 2000's from building up a 700+ plane fleet.
Much of that WN growth has been on relatively short flights, or connections between secondary, under-served airports. I find it hard to believe that open seating complications, lack of catering, seat power outlets will work well for families on 5+ hour flights.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 5:06 pm

Something to be said for a reliable, tested, all Boeing fleet: https://news.get.com/hawaiian-airlin...ndreds-flights
Old Feb 26, 2018, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by azepine00
they maybe of value to alaska ff but to most people having a free checked bag on wn will trump all of the above
That's going to hurt CASM if the hoarders disproportionately chose WN. Bags really don't fly free - they have a handling cost, and the cost of transporting weight over a long distance.

So what about the WN Companion Pass? Seems like that'll be pretty killer once Hawaii opens up.
I'd love to see the assumptions about use of Companion Pass. High use would kill RASM.

Southwest may be a successful competitor to Hawaii. I don't believe it's fair to say Alaska has no competitive advantages in the West Coast-Hawaii market.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 5:15 pm

Fun fact I saw on VFTW: Nearly 14% of WN's miles are flown using awards. That's really good: it's better than AA (~6%), DL or UA (~8%). (Don't know what the AS figure is.) Unless WN doesn't ever open WGA buckets on Hawaii (doubt that). they're going to be a popular FF redemption that's quite achievable.
Interesting data. Keep in mind that WN pulled a DL back in 2015, made WGA redemption rates variable So, How Bad Was Southwest's Recent Devaluation? - One Mile at a Time. So while Kelly will likely allow WGA redemption if/when they FINALLY start Hawaii service, I believe it is reasonable to expect poor valuations.
Will be fun to watch all of the whining and moaning in the WN forum when they see WGA Hawaii redemption rates - particularly during peak holiday travel periods.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 9:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by Troopers
what was the reason for that?
Old Feb 26, 2018, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
First of all thats is IF they dont restrict Companion Pass from being used on Hawaii routes. Second most of those will expire before Hawaii opens up.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
First of all thats is IF they dont restrict Companion Pass from being used on Hawaii routes. Second most of those will expire before Hawaii opens up. I dont know how WN would survive being the cheapest carrier and give away all those 2 for 1's
Old Feb 26, 2018, 9:42 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by CDKing
First of all thats is IF they dont restrict Companion Pass from being used on Hawaii routes. Second most of those will expire before Hawaii opens up. I dont know how WN would survive being the cheapest carrier and give away all those 2 for 1's

If they do have lots of Companion Passes floating around, I suspect they won’t set their fares to be the cheapest. In my (non-scientific) experience, AS is rarely if ever the cheapest to Hawaii, but they work out the best for us through the combination of liking the airline better and the credit card companion certificate (which isn’t as nice as the WN Companion Pass but is much nicer than what’s available on the big three, AFAIK). I would imagine (without any actual knowledge) that tons of people use their AS companion certificates for Hawaii trips.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by SF1K

what was the reason for that?
AS discontinued the Tues and Thurs OAK-HNL flights, previously daily.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.