Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Combining Alaska Airlines companion fare with UR points/book & cancel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Combining Alaska Airlines companion fare with UR points/book & cancel

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2018, 6:20 pm

Does money in my wallet ever expire?

I have a companion fare that expires in one year. And I know I plan to fly to Hawaii at some point before that. Can I do this Ultimate Rewards booking any time now to get the money into the Alaska my wallet and where the money in my wallet be good for anytime when I do decide to book that flight to Hawaii? That way I'm just prepared to do it vs waiting until I figure out my dates
Old Jul 18, 2018, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Parker Rieckelman
Does money in my wallet ever expire?
Yes, it does. Cancelling and keeping the ticket numbers instead of depositing it to My Wallet is a way to make it last longer...
Old Jul 18, 2018, 6:52 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Yes, it does. Cancelling and keeping the ticket numbers instead of depositing it to My Wallet is a way to make it last longer...
Just keep in mind that a change/cancel after 24 hours will result in a $125 fee. No way around that post June 5th unless you are MVPG+.

James
Old Jul 18, 2018, 7:20 pm

Is there any way to cancel and get alaska credit using this strategy any longer?

I was unaware of the June 5th changes mentioned. What is the strategy I should use currently to get my companion fare and use points for the booking. The cost of a buy one get one from PSC to HNL right now is around $850. Would still be $700 or more from SEA or PDX.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 7:47 pm

Programs: AS
I have a companion fare that expires in one year. And I know I plan to fly to Hawaii at some point before that. Can I do this Ultimate Rewards booking any time now to get the money into the Alaska my wallet and where the money in my wallet be good for anytime when I do decide to book that flight to Hawaii? That way I'm just prepared to do it vs waiting until I figure out my dates
Welcome to Flyertalk.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Just keep in mind that a change/cancel after 24 hours will result in a $125 fee. No way around that post June 5th unless you are MVPG+.

James
Buy a refundable fare. Cancel but do not refund the ticket. Deposit ticket into My Wallet later. Should work without a fee. Since OP doesn’t intend to fly the original ticket anyway...
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I was unaware of the June 5th changes mentioned. What is the strategy I should use currently to get my companion fare and use points for the booking. The cost of a buy one get one from PSC to HNL right now is around $850. Would still be $700 or more from SEA or PDX.
Book a refundable one way flight- somewhere like SEA-PDX. You're looking for a full Y ticket. This will still allow one change, as full Y tickets have change fees waived.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 1:28 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

Buy a refundable fare. Cancel but do not refund the ticket. Deposit ticket into My Wallet later. Should work without a fee. Since OP doesn’t intend to fly the original ticket anyway...
Good Point, forgot about that. It isn't something that I need to worry about. That will certainly work going forward. Nice catch!

James
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa
Book a refundable one way flight- somewhere like SEA-PDX. You're looking for a full Y ticket. This will still allow one change, as full Y tickets have change fees waived.
Does anyone know if it's possible to book refundable tickets with Alaska through Chase UR?
Old Oct 25, 2018, 6:48 pm

Programs: AS 100K
so the chase travel portal is now being run through expedia. I wonder if that will affect how UR issues tickets and if they'll affect the UR -> AS -> My Wallet flow.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by atcanobbio
so the chase travel portal is now being run through expedia. I wonder if that will affect how UR issues tickets and if they'll affect the UR -> AS -> My Wallet flow.
well, i just answered my last question. Bookings made through new UR travel portal can no longer be canceled via AS.com and have the value of the fare added to My Wallet.

that's a bummer, it was great while it lasted. Good thing I have no intention of canceling flight!
Old Nov 23, 2018, 9:49 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
well, i just answered my last question. Bookings made through new UR travel portal can no longer be canceled via AS.com and have the value of the fare added to My Wallet.

that's a bummer, it was great while it lasted. Good thing I have no intention of canceling flight!
So what happens? Does the value go back to your UR account? How is the change/cancellation fee collected?
Old Nov 24, 2018, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by czpdx
So what happens? Does the value go back to your UR account? How is the change/cancellation fee collected?

well, i went to my UR account and see what cancellation options UR would give me. It said they'd give me an AS voucher worth the fare of the ticket. And the re-issue fee would be $125. So I'm guessing that AS voucher can be added to my AS account and I wouldn't be charged a fee because of my status, right? I didn't try since I didn't cancel my ticket.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
well, i went to my UR account and see what cancellation options UR would give me. It said they'd give me an AS voucher worth the fare of the ticket. And the re-issue fee would be $125. So I'm guessing that AS voucher can be added to my AS account and I wouldn't be charged a fee because of my status, right? I didn't try since I didn't cancel my ticket.
That sounds right. If you try it, let us know.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 7:27 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
What happens if you call the MVP line? Will they cancel the ticket for you that way?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.