Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Awards Fails Frequent Flyers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Awards Fails Frequent Flyers

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2018, 5:13 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by channa
If you're going to secondary domestic markets, there are a number of holes. If you're going to primary domestic markets, the biggest ones I can think of are ATL and MIA. ATL can be worked around with an AA codeshare via LAX, and MIA, well you can either use the AA codeshares with a connection or go to FLL.
IAH is an even bigger hole. PHX too (unless you’re going to spring training).

The codeshares are rarely competitive.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 10:06 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K Aeroplan 25K HHonors Gold Marriott lifetime Plat IHG Plat Hertz Pres Club
Originally Posted by ashill
So for someone SFO-based, how is this different/worse than the pre-merger situation? VX/Elevate didn't have any domestic partners, so your options were to fly where VX flew when VX flew or fly a different airline. Now, you at least have AA codeshares beyond ORD/DFW/PHX (which may not work very often, for sure) as well as the option to connect through SEA. So the loss of a full partnership with AA certainly hurts a lot compared to what ASVX would have been (which is presumably why AA wanted to cut off the full partnership), and the loss of a full partnership very much hurts any pmAS loyalists who weren't based on the west coast as well as west coasters who also make trips within the eastern 75% of the US. But all these problems for SFO-based people don't seem new at all to me.

And though ASVX has a long way to go out of SFO for business traveler frequency and nonstop options, isn't that too improving significantly since the merger?

I agree with others that the AA/AS partnership became unsustainable for two main reasons:
  1. ASVX the airline is now big enough and competing head-to-head with AA in enough markets that neither airline loved giving their customers to the other.
  2. Mileage Plan, with mileage-based earning and its wide partner network (this was before the dissolution of the remaining Skyteam partnerships was announced), was so clearly superior to AAdvantage that there were enough people in markets that are only outstations for AS the airline (eg me in PHL, ryandc99 in the Midwest) crediting primarily-AA flying to AS, creating an imbalance that I can't imagine AA was happy with. That part of the equation was, I'm sure, good for AS: they were happy to get a bit of revenue from MKE-CLT trips where they don't compete at all and drive outstation-based customers to prefer AS for trips to the west coast (and use the AS credit card, giving AS more bonus revenue). But if that position made the full partnership unsustainable from AA's point of view, I'm sure AS is OK with trading off the loss of frequent flyer program revenue from customers outside their core market with increased business from the main business (people paying for airfare, not frequent flyer revenue) in their core market. It doesn't make sense for AS to limit their aspirations on the west coast to keep AA happy; in fact, doing so would potentially be an antitrust violation anyway.

Upshot: I don't like the loss of the full AA partnership, but I understand it and don't think AS had a better option.
I too am Bay Area based and have been MVPG for a number of years. Pre-merger, I had AS to the Pacific Northwest, Mexico and Hawaii, with AA and DL to take me virtually anywhere in the continental U.S. and Caribbean with some decent reciprocal benefits. Now, not so much. I now have VX (soon to be AS) to LAX, DAL, JFK, IAD and PHL. But when business travel takes me to many destinations in the middle of the country, I now likely have to fly AA and DL (or God forbid, UA) and not credit to AS. How do I get to ATL from SFO? How about PHX other than during Spring Training? Even SFO-DEN frequencies are being reduced. CUN from LAX and SFO is gone. International partners are sharply reduced. How is this not worse? What exactly is the "core market" you assert?
Old Jan 15, 2018, 10:15 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by BearX220
Hate to sound like a broken record, but that's exactly my point, and the problem. AS doesn't attract customers living outside the Pacific corridor or Alaska. It doesn't attract business travelers who need options, because low frequencies. It doesn't attract price-conscious customers, because it's rarely the price leader. It doesn't attract customers who want a premium inflight experience, because it doesn't offer one.

So who the heck is this airline for, anyway? IMO, appeal narrowing, scale expanding, equals trouble.
Merging Virgin America certainly helped expand their fleet size and pick up some new routes. As a smaller airline compared to the big three, there has to be a balance between maintaining current operations versus expansion.

Same with Southwest. They only just recently started international routes after focusing on domestic for so long.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 10:16 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by getoffthe grid
I too am Bay Area based and have been MVPG for a number of years. Pre-merger, I had AS to the Pacific Northwest, Mexico and Hawaii, with AA and DL to take me virtually anywhere in the continental U.S. and Caribbean with some decent reciprocal benefits. Now, not so much. I now have VX (soon to be AS) to LAX, DAL, JFK, IAD and PHL. But when business travel takes me to many destinations in the middle of the country, I now likely have to fly AA and DL (or God forbid, UA) and not credit to AS. How do I get to ATL from SFO? How about PHX other than during Spring Training? Even SFO-DEN frequencies are being reduced. CUN from LAX and SFO is gone. International partners are sharply reduced. How is this not worse? What exactly is the "core market" you assert?
I think it depends on the question you’re asking. Is it worse than pre-merger? For some, such as yourself, certainly. Is it worse than it would have been without the merger? Probably not. DL as a partner was over as soon as they started moving into SEA, and by extension all of the DL-linked ST partners were gone too. The only partnership that might have survived (with fewer devaluations) sans merger is AA, and even that’s not a given.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 4:58 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by ryandc99
A pretty well written blog post that sums up how I currently feel about Alaska, and why I am now a Delta Diamond Medallion.

I have no relationship with this writer or blog, I just honestly feel like it is a perfect summary of why I am moving on past Alaska after years of status at 75K.

Alaska really has failed to serve those of us in the midwest, which the Delta and American partnership gave me those flights I needed to move about the country.
I moved from PDX area to FL and broke up with AS last year after the AS-DL partership was ended.
I am a Diamond on DL and the Skypesos program is about as ho hum as can be. I am pretty hub captive (DL is about the only option for my travels) but would much prefer more options.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by milypan
Is it worse than it would have been without the merger? Probably not... The only partnership that might have survived (with fewer devaluations) sans merger is AA, and even that’s not a given.
I disagree. I think the breakup with AA was a direct result of the merger. Losing DL was always a given -- the long goodbye was going on for years. The AS/AA partnership was mutually beneficial (AA weak in the west, AS weak everywhere else). But acquiring VS made AS more of a threat to AA's transcon business to / from California. So, yes, I think the total AS proposition now has lower utility for more customers, and we're all worse off. Airline and customers alike.

Of course, if AS had not acquired VX, B6 would have, and AS would have been marginalized in a different way; B6+VX would have added up to another network carrier. So for AS it was really a case of drown or be shot. Pass up VX and be slowly snuffed out by five much larger airlines' (DL/UA/AA/B6/WN) economies of scale and network superiority... or do the VX deal and lose the AA partnership while being forced, underequipped, into new competitive arenas AS doesn't really understand.

At this point it would be a net positive if AS could find a way to join OneWorld, as the current weird dog's breakfast of international partners yields less value in practice than is apparent on paper. But I suspect AA would veto it.
ashill and jsguyrus like this.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
At this point it would be a net positive if AS could find a way to join OneWorld, as the current weird dog's breakfast of international partners yields less value in practice than is apparent on paper. But I suspect AA would veto it.
^^^
Old Jan 17, 2018, 11:01 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Yeah, it clearly would be great now. I suspect joining either Skyteam or oneworld could have happened when AS was smaller and partnered with both AA and DL in exchange for dropping the other. But now that AS is big enough for AA to see them as a real competitor in LAX/California and the threat of them leaving for Skyteam is gone, getting into oneworld would be a long shot if AS wanted it.

But at the same time, didn't AS say a few years ago (ie back when the AA and DL partnerships were still healthy, and AS was quite a bit smaller than they are now) that something like 85% of Mileage Plan redemptions and a similar majority of AS revenue were on AS-only itineraries? So I think FlyerTalkers may overblow the need AS to be all things to frequent business travellers and people who want to spend 100,000 frequent flyer miles on an F round-the-world redemption (I may exaggerate just a tad there. )

Originally Posted by getoffthe grid
As others have said, ASVX is clearly worse for travellers like you. But AS's core market is moderately-frequent, price-sensitive but still willing to pay a small premium for a better experience customers based on the west coast. That's a very big market. It's also one that may be underserved, with the big three increasingly focusing on Diamond/Executive Platinum/Unobtanium elite consultants paying for flat bed long hauls/transcons on one end and basic economy fares on the other end; AS (smartly, I think) focuses on neither of those markets.
rustykettel likes this.

Last edited by ashill; Jan 17, 2018 at 11:10 am
Old Jan 17, 2018, 5:25 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Yellowjj
It's still viable if you have no problem connecting in SEA/PDX and plan to hit the 'major' cities. Heck you even have a few options from SFO.

It's when you need to go to the smaller towns that it becomes a problem.
You're kidding right? I've tried very hard over the last 6 months to do that and there have never been any reasonable options that met my business travel requirements. A one way trip through Seattle with a travel time of 16 hours may be an option but it's not reasonable. It seems AS has the flight times in Seattle selected to maximize utility for PNW flyers (a very reasonable business decision for them to have made) but when you tack on the flight from SFO/LAX + connection times required it just doesn't work. I would guess that, at some point, they'll address this and/or continue to beef up the flights out of SFO/LAX so that the connection isn't required. Unfortunately since I have to fly to major cities in the middle and eastern parts of the country I've been forced to spend way to much time on United. ;-)

The loss of AA is a killer for smaller towns. I say this as I just landed in Lansing, Michigan on another United flight. Sadly I fear my best path is to status match back to United because the new AS just doesn't (yet) work well for SF travelers. 😭
Old Jan 17, 2018, 5:32 pm
Used to be 'rockferd'

Programs: AS MVP 75K, UA Gold, HH: Diamond, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
One of the author’s complaints is you can’t get two stopovers on an AS one-way award.
Oooookay.
Losing partners, OK, phantom space, sure, but seriously, ANY stopovers on a one way is pretty good.
Correct, I am not looking for 2 stop overs. I updated the section to make more sense. I want to fly USA- Australia as award 1. Then fly Australia - New Zealand or Fiji or where ever as Award 2, But i cannot. I can fly LAX-SYD-MEL or LAX-SYD-MEL-AKL, But if I decide I want to spend a week in sydney, then a week in Melbourne, I cannot add a leg onto new zeland and pay for travel between the two countries as an Award. Just like I cannot fly between DXB and Europe, but I can fly USA-DXB-MXP. But as a standalone award I cannot book DXB-MXP.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 5:44 pm
Used to be 'rockferd'

Originally Posted by Skyjumper
The loss of AA is a killer for smaller towns. I say this as I just landed in Lansing, Michigan on another United flight. Sadly I fear my best path is to status match back to United because the new AS just doesn't (yet) work well for SF travelers. 😭
I feel your pain, even from SEA. I needed to fly to Grand Rapids. AA, UA, DL were all less than $350 r/t a month advance. Alaska SEA-ORD or SEA-DTW was about $350. SEA-GRR was $1100!!! SEA-ORD AS, ORD-GRR AA codeshare. Yet ORD-GRR was only $200 r/t. It's clear that AS is not receiving decent/low prices on AA codeshare flights.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 6:07 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by DoubleWidesFly
Correct, I am not looking for 2 stop overs. I updated the section to make more sense. I want to fly USA- Australia as award 1. Then fly Australia - New Zealand or Fiji or where ever as Award 2, But i cannot. I can fly LAX-SYD-MEL or LAX-SYD-MEL-AKL, But if I decide I want to spend a week in sydney, then a week in Melbourne, I cannot add a leg onto new zeland and pay for travel between the two countries as an Award. Just like I cannot fly between DXB and Europe, but I can fly USA-DXB-MXP. But as a standalone award I cannot book DXB-MXP.
Now, to be fair, Australia-New Zealand redemptions are normally a bad value (just like domestic US redemptions) on AAirlines that allow them. Trans-Tasman flights can often be had for AU$250 or so round trip. But I still very much agree that the lack of award options that don't touch the US is a major weakness of Mileage Plan, made more frustrating because it seems like something that would be very easy for AS to fix.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
I'm in YWG.

After every AS flight I take (I have to get to MSP or YEG first), I check to see if the route map in the in-flight magazine still lists YWG.

Once I get home, I call Alaska and ask them to give me the details of any route served by AS to my market.
Each time I get put on hold for a long time, and they come back having no idea why it's listed.

It would be nice if they acknowledged the shortcomings of dissolving their Delta partnership, but they won't. The hubris isn't really a good fit for such a "nice" airline.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:22 pm
Used to be 'rockferd'

Originally Posted by ashill
Now, to be fair, Australia-New Zealand redemptions are normally a bad value (just like domestic US redemptions) on AAirlines that allow them. Trans-Tasman flights can often be had for AU$250 or so round trip. But I still very much agree that the lack of award options that don't touch the US is a major weakness of Mileage Plan, made more frustrating because it seems like something that would be very easy for AS to fix.
Absolutely agree! But the issue is much wide spread beyond OZ-NZ (this was just an example). Try flying within Europe, between the middle east and Africa, Europe, Asia, etc. The ONLY partner that Alaska Airlines has that allows all routes for redemption is Cathay Pacific (Minus Cathay Dragon a subsidiary of CX) and AA (US centric)
Old Jan 19, 2018, 10:02 am
Used to be 'rockferd'

Originally Posted by jerry305
I'm in YWG.

After every AS flight I take (I have to get to MSP or YEG first), I check to see if the route map in the in-flight magazine still lists YWG.

Once I get home, I call Alaska and ask them to give me the details of any route served by AS to my market.
Each time I get put on hold for a long time, and they come back having no idea why it's listed.

It would be nice if they acknowledged the shortcomings of dissolving their Delta partnership, but they won't. The hubris isn't really a good fit for such a "nice" airline.
YWG Is grey on the route map in the magazine. This means there's partner service here (Such as Condor). I believe they use to a line to if from MSP, meaning codeshare service, but that was lost with the termination of the DL/AS partnership.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.