Wiki Posts
Search

No Upgrades But All Seats Available?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2018, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold
No Upgrades But All Seats Available?

I have been gold for the past couple of years and never had trouble reserving upgraded seats if I booked far enough in advance. I am planning a trip to Hawaii sometime this fall, which I have done before, but this year I am finding that even though there are flights that show all seats available, no FC upgrades are available. The reservations agent says I just need to keep checking to see if anything opens up. So in order to possibly be able to upgrade, I can purchase an upgradeable fare, but it's very likely I'll just be wasting my money. If there were already seats booked in FC, that would make sense to me, but seeing that all seats are available yet not being able to upgrade this far in advance is frustrating.

Did the advance upgrade policy change?
Old Jan 15, 2018, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
policy: no

Revenue Management practice: yes ... they're not releasing nearly as much U inventory as they used to, and what they ARE releasing is showing up later
Old Jan 15, 2018, 10:38 am

Programs: AS (MVP), UA (silver), AA, DL, Hilton (Gold)
I think they are also really playing around with this. Maybe its a new load formula or they are testing all sorts of stuff. But a flight I was looking at last week had F:7+ until T-3 hours and then the U opened and 3 people cleared in.

Which really doesn't make any sense at all. Why not open the U sooner 1. So elites can be happy/excited 2. Allow for the OLCI up-sell opportunity.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Less seats now that 16 became 12 which means they are holding back .for purchase.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by CDKing
Less seats now that 16 became 12 which means they are holding back .for purchase.
Agreed. Best strategy is to set Expert Flyer alerts for U inventory, my success rate is quite good within T - 30 days.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Well kinda. The 900 and 900ER still remain at 16 FC seats and right now the majority of their Boeing fleet is 900ER's (75 vs.61).
Old Jan 15, 2018, 11:15 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by geekgirl
So in order to possibly be able to upgrade, I can purchase an upgradeable fare, but it's very likely I'll just be wasting my money.
As a Gold, the change fee for upfaring to an upgradable fare (instant or GGU) is waived. You don't have to purchase the upgradeable fare originally.

Keep in mind that the upgrade list is ordered by status, then fare class (this is a change of the upgrade policy as of a little over a year ago), then time of purchase/time added to the waitlist, so the compensation for buying an upgradable fare class is you'd be higher on the waitlist if it goes to the gate with seats available.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 12:35 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by rustykettel
As a Gold, the change fee for upfaring to an upgradable fare (instant or GGU) is waived. You don't have to purchase the upgradeable fare originally.
There's no change fee to upfare regardless of status. I've done it as a lowly MVP before.

Neil
Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
crummy experience yesterday: U was open, wanted to purchase with expiring My Wallet funds and use miles to upgrade (SEA-JFK redeye tonight) ... booked the basic res with no problem, called MVPG desk to apply the miles, agent said all was good and got me the last remaining window seat

half an hour later I noticed two missed calls and a voicemail from AS; "sorry, your mileage UG didn't actually go through; the system came back with a "simultaneous transactions" error and whoever else was trying to get that U seat was faster ... but you're still on the F waitlist"

haven't yet seen the mileage redeposited :/
Old Jan 15, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by missamo80
There's no change fee to upfare regardless of status. I've done it as a lowly MVP before.

Neil
I've done it too, but missydarlin has stated elsewhere that upfares are still subject to change fees inside 60 days/no status. I've also had agents since then apply a change fee to upfare (from coach to first, not just from one economy fare to a higher fare) but HUACA still worked.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
With some of the discounted F (P) fares available for HNL, I can't see why anyone wouldn't just outright buy F if they could redeposit their cash into your Alaska wallet (golds and 75k). If you are going to another island - it is more of an issue.

We always look for instant upgrade fares when P is not available, they are not always easy to find, but I would rather not have to gamble on not getting the upgrade.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
Well kinda. The 900 and 900ER still remain at 16 FC seats and right now the majority of their Boeing fleet is 900ER's (75 vs.61).
As far as I can tell its primarily 800's on Hawaii so its expected on those routes. I was actually surprised to find 2x U space when only 4 F seats were left on a Feb/March trip I booked back in December to LIH. I'm looking at some 2 weeks out and F is sold out.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
As far as I can tell its primarily 800's on Hawaii so its expected on those routes. I was actually surprised to find 2x U space when only 4 F seats were left on a Feb/March trip I booked back in December to LIH. I'm looking at some 2 weeks out and F is sold out.
Also note that the VX fleet is F8, and if I recall, they're likely to put some of that fleet on shorter west coast routes in the future (making planes currently set for F16 or F12 to possibly drop to F8).
Old Jan 15, 2018, 5:24 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
I still can't fathom why you can't waitlist GGUs like you can with SWUs on UA
Old Jan 15, 2018, 11:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
I still can't fathom why you can't waitlist GGUs like you can with SWUs on UA
Wouldn't be surprised if this was a sabre limitiation... (AS might be able to add this capability, but I'd say there are numerous other priorities)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.