Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving in First Class on Your Flight? (2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving in First Class on Your Flight? (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
According to ASFlyer, the warm sandwiches were going to start being paired with soup but I guess the soup has yet to arrive....
Maybe the mayo ramekin was mistaken for chowder.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jrl767
At least I'm in 2F, so I should still have a choice even if they cater 8/8 and everyone ahead of me orders the same thing :/
I don't believe they cater 8/8 - IIRC, it's more like 12/4. One of the AS FA FTers had posted some more detailed info about it on this forum.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 2:24 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
I'm on AS678 SEA-DEN in a couple of days. 9:20 p.m. departure, 1:06 a.m. arrival. Is anything served in F? Nuts? A cookie? Snack basket? I know it's a late flight but I might not have time to grab food beforehand.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 3:09 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by Kurt
I'm on AS678 SEA-DEN in a couple of days. 9:20 p.m. departure, 1:06 a.m. arrival. Is anything served in F? Nuts? A cookie? Snack basket? I know it's a late flight but I might not have time to grab food beforehand.
Last time if I remember correctly, I believe you just got nuts and drinks and I don't think it has changed with the new menus. I know the cutoff for food is 8pm so I wouldn't really expect anything, even the DEN-SEA 8:30pm flight you barely get anything food wise. You may want to ask the FA if they'll get you a meal from the back, whether they charge you though YMMV.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 3:17 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by jrl767
I'm booked on AS849 IAD-SEA next Fri (5 Oct) and the app does not offer advance meal selection
They may still show up. The meals for my HNL-OAK last week didn't come on line until about 48 hours out.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bkojote
Braised beef top blade (what I had) or Asiago Gnocchi

Really well done. Impressed they added a soup course (which was also very nice.)
I had that this morning on BOS-LAX, but plated differently. they brought the salad and soup first on the tray, then the main course after clearing the salad and soup dishes, and the ice cream a while later. I think we had larger salad plates.

I was in 3F on a 738 so had no choice by the time they got to me.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by Kurt
It'll be drinks and a snack basket, with the shelf-stable items in the main cabin (snack packs, pringles, jerky) available for purchase

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
According to ASFlyer, the warm sandwiches were going to start being paired with soup but I guess the soup has yet to arrive....
Soups are only on the coast to coast flights (Hawaii, NE/DC, Florida). The DEN-SEA flight in question does not get soup
Old Sep 26, 2018, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
I don't believe they cater 8/8 - IIRC, it's more like 12/4. One of the AS FA FTers had posted some more detailed info about it on this forum.
The IAD-SEA meal in question is catered 75/25. If it's a 737-900, it'll be 12/4. An -800 would be 9/3. An Airbus aircraft would be 6/2
Old Sep 26, 2018, 11:22 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite

BWI-SAN
AS731
6:20pm
9/25/18

They needed a couple of the Asiago Gnocchi for “up back,” so we were all pitched the beef. FA pitched the beef so well that the last person was stuck with the gnocchi.

Someone wanted to switch their meal for the fruit-n-cheese tray. FA indicated the cost, there was some polite back-and-forth and I don’t know if they ended up being charged or not. It seemed as though someone indicated that there was a policy exception, but I didn’t catch it all.

Service was attentive and the food was surprisingly good. Soup could have been a little warmer, and we got Haagen Dazs instead of Salt and Straw but no real complaints here.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 12:07 am

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
I recently flew TPA-SEA and had the Asiago Gnocchi. Pre-ordered and was recognized without prompting, Water and menu at seat when boarded. Great and attentive service from Wally.

The salad was fresh and included many more types of veggies than I'm used to. The new dressing is a good improvement.
The Butternut Squash soup was also a nice surprise, though the square bowl seem a little awkward. Other than to/from Hawaii, I've never flown AS on a "semi" trans-con so assumed the enhanced salad and soup were "upgrades", but reading thru this thread I'm now thinking these are new menu changes.

Overall, the Gnocchi dish was good. They definitely get an "A" for effort in doing something different.
I like the grilled taste on the outer of the Gnocchi, but didn't really notice the so called asiago cheese stuffing. This made the main entree a little bland.
The grilled pumpkin was good as were the mushrooms and sauce. However, the radicchio (my simple tastes don't even know what that is) was horrible as it was extremely bitter. I tried mixing it with the sauce and gnocchi which did help.
I would order this again, but with the reviews the "Braised Beef Top Blade" has been getting, I do want to try that next (I typically avoid beef on planes, which is odd because I prefer beef well done ).
I apologize for the poor pics, the lights were down as most folks were watching a movie.

Not pictured is the "Salt & Straw" ice cream which was good, even if served in the container.
Standard snack basket was passed around a few hours after dessert.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Yuck...I hope that tasted better than it looks....there is no way I would have chosen this over the beef.
flymonthly likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 11:57 am

Thanks. Hopefully I will have some time to grab something before the flight.

Originally Posted by safari ari
Last time if I remember correctly, I believe you just got nuts and drinks and I don't think it has changed with the new menus. I know the cutoff for food is 8pm so I wouldn't really expect anything, even the DEN-SEA 8:30pm flight you barely get anything food wise. You may want to ask the FA if they'll get you a meal from the back, whether they charge you though YMMV.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 11:57 am

Thanks!

Originally Posted by AS737
It'll be drinks and a snack basket, with the shelf-stable items in the main cabin (snack packs, pringles, jerky) available for purchase
Old Sep 28, 2018, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond

Date of Flight: September 27, 2018
Flight Number and Route flown: AS 137 PDX-ANC
Time of Departure: 12:20pm
Length of flight: 3:40
Class of service: First
Meal served: Lunch
Meal Description: Honey Rosemary Chicken or Asiago Gnocchi.
Additional Comments: No menu was offered. It would appear this most recent attempt at providing menus on all flights of 675 miles or more has now been relegated to the dustbin of Alaska's catering history. So far as I know, only transcon and Hawaii flights now provide menus. That said, we were verbally informed that our meal choices were between Honey Rosemary Chicken or Asiago Gnocchi. I usually go for the meat option but since I'd had the chicken on an earlier flight, I opted for the gnocchi. It was a surprisingly good choice. The cheese sauce in particular added a good amount of flavor to this dish, as did the mushrooms. I wouldn't mind having it again someday.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 4:43 pm

Programs: AS 75k

Had the Braised Beef again on my FLL-LAX flight today. Beef was nice, but a step or two down (chuck roast) from the steak I had a couple of weeks ago. Soup was lukewarm but tasty. Pearl onions were smaller, potatos thicker and all the vegetables well cooked. A little disappointed with the beef, but I'll give it another shot next week. My seatmate liked the gnocchi.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.