Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Confirmed: AF/KLM partnership ending April 30th 2018!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 6, 2017, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: missamo80
Ending April 30, 2018

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...e-partners/klm
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ers/air-france

Effective April 30, 2018 the partnership between KLM and Alaska Airlines will end. Our other global partners serve all of the top destinations members have earned miles to in the past with KLM, but we recognize that this change leaves a gap in coverage to some small European destinations. Europe continues to be a key focus area, served by partners including British Airways, Icelandair, Condor, and Finnair, and we’ll continue to evaluate additional partnerships to serve your needs both to and within Europe.
Effective April 30th, 2018, the partnership between Air France and Alaska Airlines will end. Our other global partners serve all of the top destinations members have earned miles to in the past with Air France, but we recognize that this change leaves a gap in coverage to some small European destinations. Europe continues to be a key focus area, served by partners including British Airways, Icelandair, Condor, and Finnair, and we'll continue to evaluate additional partnerships to serve your needs both to and within Europe.
Tickets booked through December 5th, 2017, will earn miles regardless of travel dates.
Tickets booked on or after December 6th, 2017 for travel through April 30, 2018 will earn miles.
Tickets booked on or after December 6th, 2017 for travel beginning May 1, 2018 will not earn miles.
Print Wikipost

Confirmed: AF/KLM partnership ending April 30th 2018!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2017, 12:19 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
Frequent flier partner relationships with reach to less frequently visited European cities hardly represents an existential risk to Alaska. Most Americans are visiting the same handful of western European cities, and Alaska's current partners reach all of these cities.

Additionally, without adding any partners at all, Alaska could do away with its "one partner plus Alaska" rule to extend its European reach. It's possible that Alaska is contractually prohibited by its partners from doing this, but it probably isn't.

Originally Posted by mczlaw
With the loss of AA and now AF/KL, anticipating a substitute partner aside from BA with an expansive, full-service European network is neither extravagant nor unrealistic. As others have articulated, it is in AS's best competitive interest to find such a partner. If it fails to do so or chooses to "go it alone," it will be interesting to see whether AS still exists as an independent, going concern in the next 12-36 months.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
[Usual know-it-all prattle]
You seem like a pleasant person. Welcome to Flyertalk.

With the loss of AA and now AF/KL, anticipating a substitute partner aside from BA with an expansive, full-service European network is neither extravagant nor unrealistic.
Just for an example of why this isn't as easy as you think it is, the Lufthansa Group is indeed in a transatlantic joint venture with UA and AC. Why would an LH group airline enter into a partnership with a direct competitor for what is in effect their own business?

If you exclude KL, AF and LH Group airlines it doesn't leave you with as many options for airlines. Some of the remainder like SK probably don't mix well with existing partners like AY. Some of the remainder like AZ are bad jokes. Some of the remainder after that aren't full service airlines but are ULCCs (like the LEVEL incarnation of IB).

If it fails to do so or chooses to "go it alone," it will be interesting to see whether AS still exists as an independent, going concern in the next 12-36 months.
B6 lost an AA partnership over 36 months ago, to an even more severe extent than AS did (AS is still codesharing and interlining with AA after 12/31).

Tell me, are they still a going concern? I'm keen to find out.

Originally Posted by TProphet
Frequent flier partner relationships with reach to less frequently visited European cities hardly represents an existential risk to Alaska. Most Americans are visiting the same handful of western European cities, and Alaska's current partners reach all of these cities.
Seems about right to me. And DE has some decent reach, though it's a lot of leisure markets, but AS is kind of giving up the game on corporate/premium markets by deciding "well, let's bag the VX product on TCON and pitch ourselves in below the premium California-NYC products". That was seemingly what those investor presentations were about, leisure enthusiasts (we'll find out if that was marketing delusion or an actual real strategy). Between BA/DE/FI/AY it's not horrible, anyways. Add in someone like EI and it's, well... OK if not as nice as having AF/KL (I think they're actually weaker in Africa minus AF/KL because there's not as much AY/DE/FI backfilling on that, though good luck on THAT... I dunno, maybe ET). I'm sure in a perfect world they'd like their cake (VX) and to eat it too (a deep DL and AA partnership, AF, KL, and buying the world a Coke while being Airline Alliance Switzerland). They don't get to though. Oh well.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Dec 7, 2017 at 1:18 am
Old Dec 7, 2017, 1:28 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by TProphet
Thirding this. When my friends and coworkers go to Europe, it's almost always to places like London or Amsterdam or Barcelona--very rarely east of Budapest.

But I disagree with the claim that AS is terrible for much of eastern Europe too. Want to visit Moscow or Kyiv? The AF/DL/KL losses don't help, but BA will still get you there and back. One of options I pondered for getting back from the latter last year (before the AS partnership began) was DE, with the initial KBP-FRA segment on LH. DE/LH and AY can fly you to VNO. You're out of luck for MSQ, but none of the recently/soon-lost SkyTeam carriers flew there anyway. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old Dec 7, 2017, 1:41 am

Programs: AA ExP, DL Diamond, AF Plat, AS 75K, Hertz #1 Gold, National Executive, SPG Gold
I fly a LOT on AF/KL in paid J, I credit some of the flying to AS and others to DL and FB

At this point, should I move half of my AS credited flights to *A and pick up their status or double down on FB or DL?
Old Dec 7, 2017, 5:02 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Le Club Accorhotels Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by jinglish
But I disagree with the claim that AS is terrible for much of eastern Europe too. Want to visit Moscow or Kyiv? The AF/DL/KL losses don't help, but BA will still get you there and back. One of options I pondered for getting back from the latter last year (before the AS partnership began) was DE, with the initial KBP-FRA segment on LH. DE/LH and AY can fly you to VNO. You're out of luck for MSQ, but none of the recently/soon-lost SkyTeam carriers flew there anyway. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I travel regularly to Eastern Europe (SOF mostly) and AF has been the only global airline that effectively served my destination (a few times I was able to use AZ but that was in the past when DL was a partner). BA schedule does not work for me (17-18 hours layover) while AF CDG connection schedule and fares have been pretty good. The loss of AF/KL coupled with those two switching to revenue-based FF program is a serious blow for me. ATH is pretty much in the same boat despite being much more popular with US travelers
Old Dec 7, 2017, 9:16 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
FTers want lots of things; hot and cold running caviar, unlimited upgrades, limitless award inventory. Doesn't mean that it's in an airline's long term interest to grant them.
DL offers highly coveted frequent flyers credible options to the "combined" AA/AS network (reciprocal elite benefits, earning miles), the latter are simply less competitive separately.
AA ceding West Coast service to DL is one of many threads detailing some considerations.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by pineapplejet
I fly a LOT on AF/KL in paid J, I credit some of the flying to AS and others to DL and FB

At this point, should I move half of my AS credited flights to *A and pick up their status or double down on FB or DL?
While I'm not in the "will be missing" AF/KL crowd, I'm in the "already and will be missing" DL/AA/AM crowd. I've pretty much decided that going forward, I'll probably be mid-tier in AS and DL. Check with me in a year to see how that plays out I'm 75K and DL GM for 2018.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
You seem like a pleasant person. Welcome to Flyertalk.
I see what you're doing there. Give yourself a gold star.

Just for an example of why this isn't as easy as you think it is, the Lufthansa Group is indeed in a transatlantic joint venture with UA and AC. Why would an LH group airline enter into a partnership with a direct competitor for what is in effect their own business? If you exclude KL, AF and LH Group airlines it doesn't leave you with as many options for airlines. Some of the remainder like SK probably don't mix well with existing partners like AY. Some of the remainder like AZ are bad jokes. Some of the remainder after that aren't full service airlines but are ULCCs (like the LEVEL incarnation of IB).
"Easy?" Nope. That's a convenient strawman, so well played. But certainly not your "hot and cold running caviar" (though who wouldn't want that ?)

B6 lost an AA partnership over 36 months ago, to an even more severe extent than AS did (AS is still codesharing and interlining with AA after 12/31).

Tell me, are they still a going concern? I'm keen to find out.
Gosh, I don't know, Mr. Coward, sir. I'm just a newbie here. And AS and B6 are nearly identical, aren't they?

Between BA/DE/FI/AY it's not horrible, anyways.
Believe you've stumbled on the new Alaska Airlines marketing slogan: "North of Not Horrible." Another gold star for the maven.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

”Easy?" Nope. That's a convenient strawman, so well played.
It’s a straw man to suggest that Lufthansa (and their subsidiaries) is probably not interested in sabotaging their own JV with United by steering passengers away from it by a partnership with Alaska.

OK.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat

And AS and B6 are nearly identical, aren't they?
AS and B6 aren't identical, but B6 is arguably the most comparable of the major U.S. carriers to AS. It's about the same size in Revenue Passenger Miles. It has a low degree of fleet complexity (just two mainline types). It's not a national carrier but a super-regional, up and down the East Coast the way AS is up and down the West Coast and to major destinations from select West Coast origins.

I don't think J and F partner carrier award redemptions to 3rd tier European cities is top among Alaska's concerns with Mileage Plan. Passengers will need to accept paying BA's $ component, the way other programs may demand more miles.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I don't think J and F partner carrier award redemptions to 3rd tier European cities is top among Alaska's concerns with Mileage Plan. Passengers will need to accept paying BA's $ component, the way other programs may demand more miles.
Or flying some of DE/FI/AY.

"Well, what about the 75Ks who clock most of their miles on partners like AA/KL/AF, do we want them to walk?" seems a more legitimate concern, but it's still all fallout from buying VX and betting that expanding their domestic service dramatically in CA is worth the tradeoff of making themselves more of a competitor to AA, and losing some partnerships as DL nudges their partners and goes "wow, they really annoy us, can you NOT be their buddy?" I suspect AAG figures that being able to grow the airline in VX hubs and in CA overall is worth throwing that overboard and losing some elites to AA/DL or Flying Blue (you can't get 6% annual growth by pumping more nonstops out of SEA/PDX forever). Might be the wrong choice or a poorly executed strategy, but it does seem to be what they have chosen.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 11:57 am

Honestly, award availability on AF/KLM is so bad that its not a huge loss. If this encourages alaska to add AerLingus or someone with better availablity, then that's great.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 12:23 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Le Club Accorhotels Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
It’s not simply about redemption options (although, it is possible with flexibility to redeem AS miles for AF J at lower number of miles than FB offers the same flights to their members), but mostly about earning MP status miles on revenue flights operated by AF/KL. That is a bigger loss than redemptions IMHO.

Originally Posted by nomiiiii
Honestly, award availability on AF/KLM is so bad that its not a huge loss. If this encourages alaska to add AerLingus or someone with better availablity, then that's great.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by VladQ
It’s not simply about redemption options (although, it is possible with flexibility to redeem AS miles for AF J at lower number of miles than FB offers the same flights to their members), but mostly about earning MP status miles on revenue flights operated by AF/KL. That is a bigger loss than redemptions IMHO.
Sure is, For those of us on the east coast this can be a big one. TATL from BOS is around trascon length so i would never redeem an award and am more likely to pay cash for the ticket
Old Dec 7, 2017, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by VladQ
Yes. That's an important element, too.

Honestly, I want to see AS succeed. Hell, they're easily the biggest and best from PDX and all things equal, I fly AS. But the series of stumbles in recent years have literally driven me (and presumably many others) toward the competition. I'm flying a lot more with AA and Oneworld, usually paid J with the occasional redemption. The belief that AS does not have the most talented or farsighted management in the biz seems to be well-supported in the aviation and frequent flyer media. There are only so many marketing gimmicks you can pull out of your ... (ugly sweater day promotion?). It's a brutally competitive industry. Not a lot of room for miscalculation. He may be gone, but Richard Anderson may yet get his wish.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.