Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Confirmed: AF/KLM partnership ending April 30th 2018!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 6, 2017, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: missamo80
Ending April 30, 2018

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...e-partners/klm
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ers/air-france

Effective April 30, 2018 the partnership between KLM and Alaska Airlines will end. Our other global partners serve all of the top destinations members have earned miles to in the past with KLM, but we recognize that this change leaves a gap in coverage to some small European destinations. Europe continues to be a key focus area, served by partners including British Airways, Icelandair, Condor, and Finnair, and we’ll continue to evaluate additional partnerships to serve your needs both to and within Europe.
Effective April 30th, 2018, the partnership between Air France and Alaska Airlines will end. Our other global partners serve all of the top destinations members have earned miles to in the past with Air France, but we recognize that this change leaves a gap in coverage to some small European destinations. Europe continues to be a key focus area, served by partners including British Airways, Icelandair, Condor, and Finnair, and we'll continue to evaluate additional partnerships to serve your needs both to and within Europe.
Tickets booked through December 5th, 2017, will earn miles regardless of travel dates.
Tickets booked on or after December 6th, 2017 for travel through April 30, 2018 will earn miles.
Tickets booked on or after December 6th, 2017 for travel beginning May 1, 2018 will not earn miles.
Print Wikipost

Confirmed: AF/KLM partnership ending April 30th 2018!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2017, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by BayAreaTrvler
Note to the Alaska team: your “Switzerland” partnership model of being friends with everyone seems to be running our of steam.
It would - naturally - run out of steam. AS has just one hub of significant size with generous connectivity: SEA. Once every carrier that wants to fly to SEA is doing so, AS is pretty well done. That has to be qualified, too: Every carrier that wants to fly to SEA in competition with DL and its immunized JV partners that are already flying to LHR/AMS/CDG/TYO/ICN/HKG/PVG/PEK/MEX.

Aer Lingus to DUB is interesting. I'm not sure there's that much O&D SEA-DUB but they can build traffic as an LCC one-stop beyond DUB. However, that competes with IAG's own BA flight SEA-LHR and beyond.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by BayAreaTrvler
This is an interesting rumor. While still a rumor, it - honestly - seems inevitable at some point. Also, the Korean Airlines partnership is in the same boat with their Delta JV. It seems Delta is playing the long game here, and it would be good to know if Alaska has a long game in mind, because right now it’s not at all obvious. Note to the Alaska team: your “Switzerland” partnership model of being friends with everyone seems to be running our of steam. What’s next? Join an alliance? Something different? You have thousands of fliers wondering, and keeping everyone guessing is not a great strategy.
You seem to be under the impression that AS has options. Presumably AA/DL/UA have great incentives to block AS entry into an alliance given their operations in LAX/SEA/SFO in competitive hubs for each airline. Are you suggesting a merger with one of the Big Three? Because that is likely the only way AS joins an alliance.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
[ QUOTE=sfozrhfco;29135258]

To add to the comedy, I will add that Delta does not have a controlling interest in AF/KLM and AS is currently negotiating with AF/KLM to gain access to their F award inventory for Mileage Plan Members to entice DL loyalists in SEA to flee for AS. That is as bizarre as some other predictions based on a foundation that is not yet concrete. Or is it??? lol
Emphasis mine.

You would need to have deep inside info at AS or AF/KL to be able to make that statement - unless it's mere speculation to prop up your argument.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun

To add to the comedy, I will add that Delta does not have a controlling interest in AF/KLM and AS is currently negotiating with AF/KLM to gain access to their F award inventory for Mileage Plan Members to entice DL loyalists in SEA to flee for AS. That is as bizarre as some other predictions based on a foundation that is not yet concrete. Or is it??? lol
Emphasis mine.

You would need to have deep inside info at AS or AF/KL to be able to make that statement - unless it's mere speculation to prop up your argument.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 4:09 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
i dont wish AS to join any alliance.

i suppose if AS elite were to enter partner lounge on Y tickets, perhaps, there is a cost (or oneworld elite enter AS lounge).
these added cost would need to be paid via cutting benefits like 100% bonus miles on selected partner, or cutting the award chart.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 6:15 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by pbd456
these added cost would need to be paid via cutting benefits like 100% bonus miles on selected partner, or cutting the award chart.
That is likely to happen with or without an alliance. The extra bonus points now are to try to make up for the loss of DL/AA among others. Once the bean counters figure out the cost is no longer worth it, those will go away.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 1:13 am

It's gone now,
Old Dec 6, 2017, 1:15 am

Bye Bye AF/KL Partners

So Korean Air, don't go with them please?

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ers/air-france

Last edited by currentjer; Dec 6, 2017 at 1:15 am Reason: Added links
Old Dec 6, 2017, 4:42 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
As with any airline partnership, the partnership exists until it doesn’t.
Now we have our answer, the concrete has neen poured and set. No need for speculation!

As with any airline partnership, the partnership exists...still does... until it doesn't...Terminates April 30th with exceptions.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by currentjer
So Korean Air, don't go with them please?
I think the writing is on the wall for that. Whether or not you choose to read it is up to you.

I am so glad I moved most of my flying to Delta when I did. At least this time I am not left holding the bag like I was back in 2012-2014 when UA melted down and I had to leave them too.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 8:46 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Time for Tilden to make nice with Parker, restore reciprocal elite benefits, seriously explore joining OW.
rvolkcpa likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 9:16 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Wow. What a train wreck!
Old Dec 6, 2017, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by diver858
Time for Tilden to make nice with Parker, restore reciprocal elite benefits, seriously explore joining OW.
“Sure, turn your VX planes into beer cans, give up SFO, LAX and DAL, become meek and inoffensive, stay in your corner of the country, maybe we’ll give you some scraps before we buy you in a merger.”

Such an attractive offer compared to actual organic growtth that B6 and WN achieve without ANY alliance (one of them with next to nothing in partnerships). Time to grovel. The FT crowd demands it. 6 out of 5 FT airline armchair CEO endorse this strategy.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 9:47 am

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
So now the partner network is significantly diminished from what is was say three years ago, when from my POV, it was a excellent mix. AS need to backfill partners pronto to give them the reach and make them attractive to us folks that fly internationally with any frequency. Not sure who that will be but as a consolation I was hoping for WestJet to be added in some capacity. With their expansion in the next couple of years as they take delivery of the new 787s, they could be useful for some limited international routes. However with this.... http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...joint-venture/ I doubt that is going to be a possibility.

So I'll be watching out very closely for what comes next. I have a trip to SVO booked on KLM in Feb. so I'll be able to earn on that itin., but after that I suspect I will be limited to BA .....and the 7th circle of hell that is LHR T5 for similar trips.

FL
Old Dec 6, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
“Sure, turn your VX planes into beer cans, give up SFO, LAX and DAL, become meek and inoffensive, stay in your corner of the country, maybe we’ll give you some scraps before we buy you in a merger.”
And open AS up to a DOJ antitrust investigation if they pull back from competing with AA to try and make nice.

Glad I pulled the trigger on the KL trip over the weekend and did some fine tuning last night.

Thank you Jma12 for your sharp observation! Would have been even less warning without it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.