Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Confirmed: AF/KLM partnership ending April 30th 2018!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 6, 2017, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: missamo80
Ending April 30, 2018

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...e-partners/klm
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ers/air-france

Effective April 30, 2018 the partnership between KLM and Alaska Airlines will end. Our other global partners serve all of the top destinations members have earned miles to in the past with KLM, but we recognize that this change leaves a gap in coverage to some small European destinations. Europe continues to be a key focus area, served by partners including British Airways, Icelandair, Condor, and Finnair, and we’ll continue to evaluate additional partnerships to serve your needs both to and within Europe.
Effective April 30th, 2018, the partnership between Air France and Alaska Airlines will end. Our other global partners serve all of the top destinations members have earned miles to in the past with Air France, but we recognize that this change leaves a gap in coverage to some small European destinations. Europe continues to be a key focus area, served by partners including British Airways, Icelandair, Condor, and Finnair, and we'll continue to evaluate additional partnerships to serve your needs both to and within Europe.
Tickets booked through December 5th, 2017, will earn miles regardless of travel dates.
Tickets booked on or after December 6th, 2017 for travel through April 30, 2018 will earn miles.
Tickets booked on or after December 6th, 2017 for travel beginning May 1, 2018 will not earn miles.
Print Wikipost

Confirmed: AF/KLM partnership ending April 30th 2018!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2017, 2:57 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
This would be... unfortunate, especially as Air France is about to kick off direct flights to Paris in March from Seattle.

Neil
Old Nov 29, 2017, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by gdam22
Would hope they could add a Lufthansa or even a Norwegian Air to compensate for the loss(if true).
Probably neither because LH has a TATL JV with UA and AC, that would be a highly unfriendly thing to do to partners who have West Coast hubs in LAX/SFO/YVR (which sort of means there's really no reason to do it, it's not like you can't get anywhere on the West Coast with UA as opposed to AS). DY isn't likely to happen because BA would be... not happy.

Originally Posted by lawchild
Seems like IB would be the most likely candidate from Europe given OW membership. Or maybe Brussels, since they codeshare with both Hainan & Singapore?
Both of those airlines are pretty useless as far as an AS relationship goes given that SN doesn't even touch the US West Coast and IB only does it seasonally.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 4:29 pm

Programs: MVPGold 75K
I think they need someone strong in South Eastern Europe

British does not even fly to Serbia and many other countries. I'm thinking someone strong in central Europe should be picked. I wish aua
Old Nov 29, 2017, 4:42 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Sounds like paid (not award) travel, so that sounds like a no refund situation.
Along with the AS Partner Award desk, couldn't find award inventory on a single AF or KL flight for entire month of March or first two weeks of April on pretty much any transatlantic flight checked. Is anyone even able to redeem AS miles on KL/AF at this point? BA conversely had tons of space (if you're willing to pay $500+ in fees each way), as did Icelandair (albeit wth higher redemption rates for their domestic F cabin style Saga Class than AA Intl Business in a flat bed, not exactly the most exciting option).
Old Nov 29, 2017, 4:50 pm

Programs: alaska
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Probably neither because LH has a TATL JV with UA and AC, that would be a highly unfriendly thing to do to partners who have West Coast hubs in LAX/SFO/YVR (which sort of means there's really no reason to do it, it's not like you can't get anywhere on the West Coast with UA as opposed to AS). DY isn't likely to happen because BA would be... not happy.

Both of those airlines are pretty useless as far as an AS relationship goes given that SN doesn't even touch the US West Coast and IB only does it seasonally.
I'd almost take Norwegian over BA currently...maybe that's just me. (I like BA, but Norwegian has newer metal and cheaper prices).

Anyhow, we can keep our fingers crossed that AF and AS will stay together for awhile to come.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by felicidad76
British does not even fly to Serbia and many other countries. I'm thinking someone strong in central Europe should be picked. I wish aua
I don't think AS is worried about losing traffic to/from Serbia. Serbia doesn't even make the top 20 list of countries of origin for U.S. arrivals in 2016. Numbers 16-20:

Netherlands
Venezuela
Sweden
Switzerland
Taiwan

Passenger numbers fall off pretty quickly. #20 Taiwan had about 1/10th the number of #3 U.K.

https://travel.trade.gov/research/mo...vals/index.asp
Old Nov 29, 2017, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gdam22
I'd almost take Norwegian over BA currently...maybe that's just me. (I like BA, but Norwegian has newer metal and cheaper prices).
If you lose AF, KL and BA, you've got basically one carrier to get you to Africa (EK).
Old Nov 29, 2017, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS MVPG, WN CP
Originally Posted by jinglish
IB's only west coast destination is LAX, which they only serve seasonally, and where they have plenty of connecting feed from AA if they want it. SN can't even say that much; their only US destinations are JFK (year-round) and IAD (seasonal). Maybe if one of them pulls an AY and launches service to SFO or SEA, sure, but otherwise no way.
Just want to add to this that IB has already announced expansion to SFO starting in a few months. Seasonal for now, but add the IB flights to LAX plus flights on Level (BCN-OAK and BCN-LAX), and the existing partnership with BA, and it seems more plausible than some others.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 6:26 pm

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Aer Lingus would be a good fit to replace KLM / Air France.

Aer Lingus pulled out of OneWorld alliance 10 years ago and largely do their own thing. They offer some great destinations in Europe as well as flights into Seattle starting May 2018. Guinness on tap at the Alaska Lounge! - Why not?
BearX220 and notquiteaff like this.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 10:19 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by davistev
Guinness on tap at the Alaska Lounge! - Why not?
But would they give a proper pour?
Old Nov 30, 2017, 12:24 am

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
If you lose AF, KL and BA, you've got basically one carrier to get you to Africa (EK).
It's not easy to book AF/KL TATL anyway with AS miles
Old Nov 30, 2017, 12:40 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
CX will get you to South Africa (JNB) via HKG for 62.5K in J, SQ also flies CPT-JNB-SIN so that may be an option when we can book SQ awards. If you are looking for other African countries, then I do agree your options are limited. BA wouldn't be a loss for me as I would never book an award on their metal anyway.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 9:57 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, IHG Spire Elite, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle, HH Silver

I don't entirely agree that a west coast overlap is necessary, particularly with combined AS/VX increased presence in NYC. As far as European airlines flying to the west coast, there aren't a lot of candidates.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
CX will get you to South Africa (JNB) via HKG for 62.5K in J, SQ also flies CPT-JNB-SIN so that may be an option when we can book SQ awards. If you are looking for other African countries, then I do agree your options are limited. BA wouldn't be a loss for me as I would never book an award on their metal anyway.
Airline partnerships are more than just "I am an FTer who wants to redeem miles".

I don't entirely agree that a west coast overlap is necessary, particularly with combined AS/VX increased presence in NYC.
NYC isn't their target market, the West Coast definitely is. And presumably partnerships are mostly based on passenger flow into AS's network, not "I need a way to redeem for J to Europe". JFK is not the ideal point for that.

IAs far as European airlines flying to the west coast, there aren't a lot of candidates.
Which is why I'm fairly skeptical that SN or IB would care enough about an AS hookup (or v.v.). EI is somewhat a more logical possibility given a new SEA flight.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://www.dansdeals.com/points-tra...next-thursday/

Dec 6th, huh? I guess we will see soon enough. Given past breakups I think it might get announced then but won’t be immediate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.