Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Denied mile credit from AA codeshare BA operated flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Denied mile credit from AA codeshare BA operated flight

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2018, 3:46 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by rj123456
So AA6177 (BA 279 LHR-SJC) should earn according to the AA partner credit chart.
Absolutely nothing about the flight being operated by AA.
Scroll up on the page..:

Earning on American Airlines

Base miles earned and class of service bonuses on eligible American-operated flights count toward Alaska Airlines elite status.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 3:51 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 2MM+ Lifetime PLT; BA, CO, UA, US; SPG; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by rustykettel

Scroll up on the page..:

Good catch. They repeat this for domestic flights but leave it out for international.
Complicates things because BA does not allow elites any baggage on basic economy fares, but if it's an AA codeshare AA rules apply. But then I can't credit N for 50% to AS I guess 25% credit to BA is the consolation prize.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:08 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
So my friend was just denied on a AA-marketed BA-operated "P" fare for Premium Economy.

Since "P" is an AA code which does not exist on BA, the credit was denied by Alaska. What can my friend do? This was a paid cash fare for PE, seems unfair that it would get 0 when both carriers are AS partners.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Bonaventure
So my friend was just denied on a AA-marketed BA-operated "P" fare for Premium Economy.

Since "P" is an AA code which does not exist on BA, the credit was denied by Alaska. What can my friend do? This was a paid cash fare for PE, seems unfair that it would get 0 when both carriers are AS partners.
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...er-overview:AA
Qualify for mileage accrual on international flights

Flight must either depart from, and/or arrive in a country other than the United States or a U.S. territory, and be both marketed and operated by American Airlines.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ritish-airways

Flights must fall within the eligible flight number range below, and your flight must be marketed and operated by British Airways.
To repeat:

The rules have never changed. What everyone reports on FT is that AS has ignored the published rules when people submit boarding passes.

I'd have your friend submit the BPs for credit on BA or AA (whichever makes more sense; BA Avios can be redeemed in the USA for as little as 7.5k miles for a one-way AA/AS flight).
Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
See Post #14 above. Try HUACA first, then other crediting strategies.
jinglish likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:11 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro

It’s been clear in the past that in these scenarios mileage is credited using the operating carrier’s chart. Since P earns 0 on BA, it sounds like the outcome is consistent with both formal and informal policies. No harm in trying HUACA, but I wouldn’t be sanguine about the chances.
pbelmore likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:55 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by milypan

It’s been clear in the past that in these scenarios mileage is credited using the operating carrier’s chart. Since P earns 0 on BA, it sounds like the outcome is consistent with both formal and informal policies. No harm in trying HUACA, but I wouldn’t be sanguine about the chances.
How P credits on BA is irrelevant. When AS has given credit, it's based on the operating partner's earning charts in their with their underlying fare bucket.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:04 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
What I would do is email your boarding passes & confirmation email as an attachment and ask them what Fare Class the AA P fare would match to on BA (there are more than one) showing the PE purchase. Email directly to [email protected] rather than using the online missing credit function.

James in Empire Bay.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by jinglish
How P credits on BA is irrelevant. When AS has given credit, it's based on the operating partner's earning charts in their with their underlying fare bucket.
According to the post, BA was the operating carrier, the fare code was P, and P does not earn on the BA chart. How is that irrelevant? Maybe I'm not parsing "based on the operating partner's earning charts in their with their underlying fare bucket" correctly. Is your point that there's a hidden fare bucket that BA is using that the traveler can't see but that AS has access to?

Last edited by milypan; Feb 16, 2019 at 5:39 pm
Old Feb 16, 2019, 7:54 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
According to the post, BA was the operating carrier, the fare code was P, and P does not earn on the BA chart. How is that irrelevant? Maybe I'm not parsing "based on the operating partner's earning charts in their with their underlying fare bucket" correctly. Is your point that there's a hidden fare bucket that BA is using that the traveler can't see but that AS has access to?
Oops, scratch the "with their". P is the bucket it booked into on AA, but BA's records will show the passenger in another fare bucket that actually exists on their end. It should be accessible to both AS and the customer, although I don't remember if it's made plain in any of BA's materials or if it'd have to be deciphered from the fare code.

My one experience with this was on a BA-operated AA codeshare, booked into O on AA's end. At the time, AA O earned 100% on AS and BA O earned 25%; whichever bucket BA had me in got me 50% mileage credit after I submitted my request.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
My friend has tried e-mailing Alaska, and been denied twice.

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
What I would do is email your boarding passes & confirmation email as an attachment and ask them what Fare Class the AA P fare would match to on BA (there are more than one) showing the PE purchase. Email directly to [email protected] rather than using the online missing credit function.

James in Empire Bay.
This is something that I've been wondering - can't Alaska see the 'real' fare class code when they plug it into their system? I've sent in boarding passes before without a receipt, so clearly there is no fare class that can be deduced from the boardingpass, so it must be in the system. If so I can imagine that what Alaska is seeing is AA "P" = BA "P". I've told my friend to contact BA but BA customer service is notoriously inept about anything.

Originally Posted by jinglish
Oops, scratch the "with their". P is the bucket it booked into on AA, but BA's records will show the passenger in another fare bucket that actually exists on their end. It should be accessible to both AS and the customer, although I don't remember if it's made plain in any of BA's materials or if it'd have to be deciphered from the fare code.

My one experience with this was on a BA-operated AA codeshare, booked into O on AA's end. At the time, AA O earned 100% on AS and BA O earned 25%; whichever bucket BA had me in got me 50% mileage credit after I submitted my request.
This is interesting. However since Oneworld operates on marketing code, I'm not sure if BA actually has different internal codes when their partners operate with different fare naming systems for codeshares on their metal. My search on the BA / AA forums hasn't yielded anything on this front but I'll keep the forum (and future unlucky persons reading this!) updated.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 11:33 am

This is something that I've been wondering - can't Alaska see the 'real' fare class code when they plug it into their system? I've sent in boarding passes before without a receipt, so clearly there is no fare class that can be deduced from the boardingpass, so it must be in the system. If so I can imagine that what Alaska is seeing is AA "P" = BA "P". I've told my friend to contact BA but BA customer service is notoriously inept about anything.
I've got several AY-marketed, BA-operated flights coming up. All the AY fare codes are D (eastbound) and I (westbound), regardless of whether it's AY-operated or BA-operated.

I did find the BA fare codes on britishairways.com, but it's not very easy. On the "Manage My Booking" page, if you scroll down to the individual flights, there is a "More flight information" link. Clicking on that link brings up details that include "Selling class." On my 3 BA-operated flights, one is D for AY and BA, one is I for AY and BA, and one is I for AY but R for BA.

For the record, BA does appear to have a P fare class. It looks like a mileage or upgrade class, so it seems a bit odd that a paid AA ticket would book into that, but it would certainly explain why it doesn't qualify for mileage.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 12:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you upgrade, most FF programs give miles based on the underlying fare class that was purchased.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 3:56 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you upgrade, most FF programs give miles based on the underlying fare class that was purchased.
Yes, this is true with AS as well. In fact, you will see reference to upgraded class on AS Partner earning charts with the notation that accrued Mileage Plan miles will be based on the original booking class.

Last year I flew DPS-SIN on KLM and upgraded to J at check-in. When I manually submitted the boarding pass, AS gave me credit for J. I advised them of the error and in appreciation, AS allowed me to keep the J earnings.

James
Old Mar 1, 2019, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Sure, but I don't think that's the issue here. It sounds like it was a purchased PE fare, and the passenger sat in PE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.