Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Air MAJOR ISSUE? No saver award space!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Air MAJOR ISSUE? No saver award space!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Unless there is serious customer blow back, expect restricted access to continue. They are basically planning for zero growth next year and below inflation level cost increases which means cost cutting and nickel and diming people to try to make up for management's short comings. They seemed very happy with themselves in that they figured out that offering too much saver award space was costing them money and that closing this loophole helps them achieve their revenue/cost cutting goals.
I can understand wanting to reduce saver award availability, but it doesn't help them if those seats just go out empty. Presumably they'll also be more aggressive in offering very low fares when necessary, with BE restrictions in place to help price discriminate and prevent higher WTP customers from taking advantage of said fares?
Old Jul 26, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by milypan
$30,000? That is insane, for any cabin!
I think the $ in front was a typo, and meant to be 30K miles.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Here is what I don't get. So too many people are buying low level awards that they are losing money, yet they added even lower awards levels to the mix?
Old Jul 26, 2018, 11:48 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by CDKing
Here is what I don't get. So too many people are buying low level awards that they are losing money, yet they added even lower awards levels to the mix?
Hey, now they can advertise "with awards starting at only 5K miles!" (or whatever the new lower number is), even if they're rarely available and only on some of their shortest routes. I'm sure the 5k for a SEA-BLI redemption impacts the bottom line less than a 25K SEA - DCA redemption does.
worldtraveller73 likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
I would think that F class is really the place where they thought they lost their shirts. Offering a bunch of seats at 25,000 miles for transcons in F when they presumably could have sold the seats for cash or gotten a high Y upgradeable fare for the same seat may have been a mistake. The big question now is will those same people choose AS if they have to pay 70,000 miles or full fare? If not, then they are deluding themselves into thinking that that 70,000 mile price would just result in a large cash payment from their customers. With a weaker product in many of those markets, passengers may simply choose another carrier--that is offering a better product for a lower price--or perhaps a better value award redemption.

Just looking at several transcon markets from California, I have found that the F cabins are often nearly empty more than 24 hours in advance in the middle of the peak summer travel season. I have to wonder if this new policy will come back to bite them as they lose market share and customers.

Last edited by sfozrhfco; Jul 26, 2018 at 12:24 pm
Old Jul 26, 2018, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by jjmadison
It's absolutely insane right now. Up until this month, I could always get weekday direct flights between SFO and WAS (IAD and BWI always, sometimes DCA) for 12,500 miles. Now, since the miles devaluation, the minimum is $30k for Y. And that's on flights that are 40-50% empty, 48 hours out.

Long story short, AS miles are now worth 1/2 to 1/3 of what they were last month. HUGE devaluation.

to be clear, this cannot be attributed to full summer flights. The flights are no more full than in the winter or spring. It's just a massive upcharge.
Unless there is serious customer blow back, expect restricted access to continue. They are basically planning for zero growth next year and below inflation level cost increases which means cost cutting and nickel and diming people to try to make up for management's short comings. They seemed very happy with themselves in that they figured out that offering too much saver award space was costing them money and that closing this loophole helps them achieve their revenue/cost cutting goals. Given that they have a very steep hill to climb not growing (which would help them absorb additional labor and other costs which are already forecast to go up) and maintaining profitability, look for less award space and basic economy coming in December or sooner if they can get the IT issues worked out sooner.
Originally Posted by milypan
I can understand wanting to reduce saver award availability, but it doesn't help them if those seats just go out empty. Presumably they'll also be more aggressive in offering very low fares when necessary, with BE restrictions in place to help price discriminate and prevent higher WTP customers from taking advantage of said fares?

So far in this thread:

"OMG, can't get any seats EVER!"

"AS is evil!" (from usual suspects)

(attach some screenshots rebutting the original assertion)

"Oh, but what I meant was... (way way less hyperbolic case)"

Good times...
jinglish likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 12:36 pm

Did you actually look at availability? Obviously not. Can you get an award at a low level? Mostly yes but as has been mentioned above only because AA has been opening up space. Nearly every day on the AS non-stop it is 70,000 miles in F and 30,000 in Y while AA can be found for 25,000 in F. That is what the whole thread is about. Your post only proves that AA has released more award space while adding nothing to the topic at hand which is AS restricting awards on their own metal.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NWplatinum
The ones I always always could find saver space was SEA-ALL OF CA, now it’s all 20,30k for coach

All I can say is you must be really bad at using the AS award view by calendar.

Old Jul 26, 2018, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did you actually look at availability? Obviously not.
Mostly yes but as has been mentioned above only because AA has been opening up space.
Let's explain this again. It is impossible to book an AA domestic award for (any amount) + $6 using AS miles. AA awards incur a $12.50 partner fee one way. If you see "12.5k+$6" on a domestic redemption as low fare using the calendar, that's on AS metal. "12.5k+$19" is AA or AA/AS, that includes a partner fee and the TSA fee.

Expecting the next objection: yes, I know F has been clamped down on. I suspect too hard (although AS transcon F has NEVER been in huge supply from SEA/PDX, EWR is always a reasonably difficult get, for instance). SEA-LAX in F isn't exactly amazing revenue for AS (it's like $200-300ish as a P fare), if someone wants to spend 25k miles on it, sure, knock yourself out, AS is kind of being ridiculous there. (Though I would point out that as AS elite in W on their XXX-LAX/SFO-HKG CX F award is reasonably likely to get an upgrade).

I never expected this to be the state of affairs forever, though:

https://onemileatatime.boardingarea....award-tickets/

Quite frankly if you're giving away multiple seats on your premium product close in, which should in theory be your most expensive tickets (close in and best cabin), that's a screwup that is low hanging fruit for revenue management to fix at some point. At best AS is washing some mileage off the books (at like a penny or two per mile, so like $250-500 in disappearing funny money) instead of getting even $600 in cash for that.

But FT is all over that kind of stuff because, duh, FlyerTalk.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jul 26, 2018 at 1:06 pm
Old Jul 26, 2018, 5:20 pm

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott

This might also explain why awards are tight. I hope people grabbed these when they were around!

Alaska Airlines customers this spring got an unusual benefit. After merging the Alaska and Virgin America reservations system in April, the combined airline mistakenly opened its award inventory, offering 40 percent more availability at the lowest levels than a year ago. And customers, including American Airlines’ loyalists, who have access to free seats on Alaska, pounced on them.

It was enough to affect the carrier’s second quarter earnings, executives admitted Thursday on Alaska’s second quarter earnings call.

“We were way too open,” said Andrew Harrison, the company’s chief commericial officer. “We are about generosity but we have the inventory misaligned with the demand.”
https://skift.com/2018/07/26/alaska-...ny-free-seats/
Old Jul 26, 2018, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I do admit it was way too easy to find saver on VX, as soon as those flights were available for award booking. Like almost every flight was available. That was long before the April merging of the programs.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 5:58 pm

I do admit it was way too easy to find saver on VX, as soon as those flights were available for award booking. Like almost every flight was available. That was long before the April merging of the programs.
Exactly. This was well documented well over a year ago. Maybe they just noticed it--or perhaps it is just an excuse for their relatively poor performance.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AA had bad numbers too. And they were tight on award space until recently. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old Jul 27, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
A couple of data recent points:

AS is far more likely to open transcon A bucket availability as departure nears (even during busy summer travel periods) than is AA to open U bucket availability on similar routes. Teo years in a row that I have used AS as the transcon to build an AA biz award to europe, utilizing AS PDX-SEA-JFK and finding space about two weeks out which is when AA starts to open US-EU biz space.

AS can be extremely generous on its own routes even for holidays. Second year in a row that I have gotten SEA-BZN for Christmas, this year only 5k per ticket. And it’s even better, i needed 8 tickets and Expert Flyer was showing W5 and As..com was showing 3 at 5k and wanted 7.5k if i bought all 5 in one transaction. Needless to say i bought 3 for 5k, went back and got two more and wow, they were only 5k. Then, guess what, another 3 also for 5k. So 8 people for 40k total when EF showed only 5 available. I guess AS was automatically refilling the W bucket each time I bought. But getting them all for 5k each, what a steal.

Also worth pointing out that you really have to repeatedly scour (or set EF alerts) as i find AS award inventory randomly comes and goes. There was no award space SEA-BZN in late December just a couple of days ago but then a boat load. AA is the same, you can either pay cash, winge about availability problems or do the work to find awards.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 9:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Eponymous blew up the Y debate with screenshots and the +6 explanation. I find plenty of SFO-WAS Y @ 12.5K as well.

However I think we are all agreed that the F award avail is just brutal combined with the recent increase. Understood now that they had too much availability out there and need to recoup. Hopefully they course correct back the other way and soon. Or at least make a pool available for MVP75s.

The paid F still makes no sense, I keep having to fly other carriers that are far cheaper and often 2-3x cheaper

I am sitting on way too many AS miles (650K) thinking this was the program I wanted to be in and burning miles elsewhere. I need to start burning these AS miles and fast. And we're all 4 months away from figuring out what to do in 2019 - it may no longer be AS when you look at what you earn and how it can be redeemed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.