Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

SF Bay Area Fire Waiver expanded / extended

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SF Bay Area Fire Waiver expanded / extended

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2017, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
Further waiver through the 15th.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Also doesn't help that I am 5 miles south of SFO, which would make for a really sucky drive to OAK or SJC on a Friday afternoon.
You can take BART to OAK or the train to SJC, fwiw.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
You can take BART to OAK or the train to SJC, fwiw.
^

Sure, I lived on the Peninsula for 20+ years

But I still have to dispose of my rental car after I finish work tomorrow, so that would either mean driving to SFO (and then take BART and/or Caltrain) or drive straight to some other airport (changing the drop-off location).

Frankly, the more I watch local TV news, the less I am stressed out about it because in the big picture my flight getting delayed or cancelled or me misconnecting in PDX is just an inconvenience. I'd love to get home on time so I can proceed with my plans for the weekend... but if that doesn't happen, I will be okay.
missamo80 likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 6:50 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
SMF to the Bay Area is a long drive, especially to SF and Silicon Valley. Are the roads along this route at risk?
Depending on the time of day, and Caldecott Tunnel backups et al, 80 to 24 to 4 to 160 to 5 can be an alternative. At this moment, Google Maps shows it only 20 minutes longer. And the drive from Antioch to I-5 is pretty and calming.

https://goo.gl/maps/mbyHXCMTewt
Old Oct 12, 2017, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Waiver now extended to the 19th. Smart proactive move.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 11:13 pm

So I just called to change my flight and she said there would be an additional fare difference, as my flight tomorrow isn't cancelled.
Is that how this works?
Old Oct 12, 2017, 11:18 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by s0ssos
So I just called to change my flight and she said there would be an additional fare difference, as my flight tomorrow isn't cancelled.
Is that how this works?
Not usually. Did you discuss the waiver that's in place ?
Old Oct 12, 2017, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Is that how this works?
It shouldn't. Did you try it online?
Old Oct 12, 2017, 11:20 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Is that how this works?
Travel To/From

Santa Rosa (STS)
Sacramento (SMF)
San Francisco (SFO)
San Jose (SJC)
Oakland (OAK)

Tickets Purchased On/Before

October 9, 2017

Original Travel Dates

October 9 - October 19, 2017

Exception Policy

We will waive the change fees and the difference in the price of the ticket if the new travel is booked to or from the affected cities in the same cabin and completed on or before October 19, 2017. Additional taxes and fees may apply. You may request a refund if you choose not to travel at all. Tickets must be exchanged or refunded on or before October 19, 2017.

Assuming your flight is to/from one of the affected airports & within the dates, HUACA. There is no requirement stated in the waiver for your flight to be cancelled first.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
It shouldn't. Did you try it online?
Yes. It shows a fare difference.

But in reading the waiver it seems the agent was completely wrong.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Yes. It shows a fare difference.

But in reading the waiver it seems the agent was completely wrong.
Call again. This is the hour the "A Team" picks up many of the calls. If you get the same answer, ask to have the call sent to a supervisor (as long as your ticket qualifies, i.e., issued no later than the 9th).
Old Oct 12, 2017, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The news earlier tonight said the CHP was advising big rigs to find alternate routes around I80 near Fairfield.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Call again. This is the hour the "A Team" picks up many of the calls. If you get the same answer, ask to have the call sent to a supervisor (as long as your ticket qualifies, i.e., issued no later than the 9th).
My ticket was issued over a month ago. But I think I actually got the same person, who sighed when I mentioned the website and said it is wrong, how it should be on a daily basis (I doubt it) but said cause the website says it she'll honor it.

You are right. Their "A Team" is on
Old Oct 13, 2017, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Baze
The news earlier tonight said the CHP was advising big rigs to find alternate routes around I80 near Fairfield.
One of the big electronic traffic signs on the NB side of 101 on the peninsula displayed a warning that big rigs should avoid I-80 near Fairfield. That was Wednesday eve.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 8:53 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
My ticket was issued over a month ago. But I think I actually got the same person, who sighed when I mentioned the website and said it is wrong, how it should be on a daily basis (I doubt it) but said cause the website says it she'll honor it.

You are right. Their "A Team" is on
I hate sounding like a broken record, but please please please send feedback through the Contact Us page on the website. It's sad to say, but at least she honored what it said on the website unlike the JAL mileage mess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.