FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Airbus A319/20/21N Reconfiguration/Retirements Tracking Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1871515-airbus-a319-20-21n-reconfiguration-retirements-tracking-thread.html)

CalanMan Nov 20, 2018 8:29 am

Originally Posted by LeoNYC10 (Post 30447331)
Or are you saying they repainted the planes but kept the internals the same (i.e., the screens, etc.)? It is my understanding that they reconfigure and repaint all at once.

Originally Posted by PDXPremier (Post 30447363)
It's my understanding that the painting and reconfiguring of the internals are NOT happening at the same time....they are obviously making great progress on the re-painting...the internals seems to be a much slower process.

PDXPremier is correct here. I’ve flown on half a dozen Alaska-on-the-outside, VX-on-the-inside A320s in the last few months. If you look at the wiki of this thread, you’ll see that about half the 320s are in this state.

Just like the planes that have yet to be painted, safety cards and magazines are all Alaska, and rows have been renumbered, but I’ve yet to see a reconfigured interior with different seats/bulkheads/lighting.

CalanMan Nov 20, 2018 8:38 am

Originally Posted by LeoNYC10 (Post 30447371)
I still don't understand their thinking: they had a unique, wonderful product...

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun (Post 30447729)
They didn't ask you...

Can we please keep this thread on-topic? There are plenty of threads on FT for editorial about this. The mods have already graciously cleaned up the this one so it can continue to be about tracking fleet transition progress.

Tracer_SEA Nov 20, 2018 8:52 am

Any updates on when the first reconfigured A320 will enter service?

CalanMan Nov 20, 2018 9:07 am

Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA (Post 30448824)
Any updates on when the first reconfigured A320 will enter service?

No idea, but my hunch is that the first time we see it will be during Investor Day next week.

Putzy Nov 20, 2018 10:39 am

It's currently scheduled to leave GSO on the 28th, the day after Investor Day.

VXforever Nov 22, 2018 11:48 pm

N622VA just took off from LAX to GSO around 10:30pm 11/22. As it has been repainted at VFV already, I can only assume it's going to GSO for cabin mods.

Eurynom0s Nov 23, 2018 4:00 am

Originally Posted by isaac.chambers (Post 30434880)
Just to reiterate - there are NO airbuses flying with the reconfigured hard product yet. IF you have a 319/320/321 - it will be virgin seats/seatpitch, Red IFE, purple/pink mood lighting, but will order all food/drinks through the FA. I just flew from ORD this past monday and can say it was pretty decent flight with plenty of drink runs and attentive service in Y. The ordering through red is going away - but its not terrible tho. (yea - i said it....coming from the VX side of the "merger")

It's not just the seatback ordering. Live TV is long gone, for instance. For most people PROBABLY won't matter but worth pointing out for those who literally haven't been on a VX Airbus since VX flights stopped being operated under the separate callsign.

Putzy Nov 23, 2018 7:51 am

N622VA is at GSO (Haeco) for unscheduled maintenance. Its interior mod is scheduled for 3Q of 2020.

isaac.chambers Nov 23, 2018 9:40 am

Originally Posted by Putzy (Post 30458819)
N622VA is at GSO (Haeco) for unscheduled maintenance. Its interior mod is scheduled for 3Q of 2020.

Interesting....according to AS website - end of 2019 should be the target date for completion of the mods too.

beckoa Nov 23, 2018 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by isaac.chambers (Post 30459046)
Interesting....according to AS website - end of 2019 should be the target date for completion of the mods too.

Sounds like this may need updating... AS webfolks do have fingers in many projects currently.

SNAnghbr Dec 1, 2018 6:35 am

I am wondering if anyone knows why the A320 reconfiguration seems to be take longer that the 737-700. Since it started 3 700s have been done but we have yet to see one A320. Seems very odd to me.

jhurwitz Dec 1, 2018 1:53 pm

N621VA is re-entering service tomorrow (AS1960 SFO-SAN); I see no recent flights for this aircraft, and am unsure when it left GSO.

Meanwhile, N840VA appears to be scheduled to fly GSO-SFO today, and then re-enter service on Monday (AS1953 SAN-SFO? something appears to be missing from this schedule).

Could either of these be the first reconfigured A320s?

rustykettel Dec 1, 2018 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by SNAnghbr (Post 30486990)
I am wondering if anyone knows why the A320 reconfiguration seems to be take longer that the 737-700. Since it started 3 700s have been done but we have yet to see one A320. Seems very odd to me.

Maybe prioritization or availability of the aircraft? Pure speculation but the unreconfig -700 lack PC seats that AS can sell, whereas the Airbus fleet has at least some. Nor do they have seat power.

Manoa Chris Dec 2, 2018 9:00 am

Originally Posted by jhurwitz (Post 30488193)
N621VA is re-entering service tomorrow (AS1960 SFO-SAN); I see no recent flights for this aircraft, and am unsure when it left GSO.

Meanwhile, N840VA appears to be scheduled to fly GSO-SFO today, and then re-enter service on Monday (AS1953 SAN-SFO? something appears to be missing from this schedule).

Could either of these be the first reconfigured A320s?

It's really odd to see aircraft going out for a few weeks, presumably for heavy checks, and not getting the seats torn apart. And just slow overall... especially with the schedule slack that September/October afforded. Any chance Alaska is considering something more drastic - like ditching the Airbii altogether?

isaac.chambers Dec 2, 2018 9:04 am

N621VA has not left GSO as of this morning. I do not see anything scheduled now. Who knows....but I agree that these cabin mods are a little bit longer on the 320 versus the 737. However, remember this is a complete gut of current seats and IFE. New installation of seats. So I guess the first prototype may take longer. But I’m amazed that N628VA has been out of service for over 2 months....that’s a long time not making money.