FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   AS Bank of America Visa (Personal and Business) - 2017 and Later (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1869418-bank-america-visa-personal-business-2017-later.html)

John Wang Jan 1, 2017 5:47 pm

AS Bank of America Visa (Personal and Business) - 2017 and Later

Of course I already used the last one on October before it got expired. But I haven't got the new one after 19 days past the original expiration date. Is it normal? First time to celebrate my credit card anniversary so I really don't know...

philemer Jan 1, 2017 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by John Wang (Post 27690087)
Of course I already used the last one on October before it got expired. But I haven't got the new one after 19 days past the original expiration date. Is it normal? First time to celebrate my credit card anniversary so I really don't know...

I think the Companion Fare discount is only a 1st year benefit. Not positive though. I always cancel my cards before the 2nd yr fee becomes due.

jinglish Jan 1, 2017 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by philemer (Post 27690966)
I think the Companion Fare discount is only a 1st year benefit. Not positive though.

That is absolutely not true.

majortom421 Jan 2, 2017 12:29 am

When will my companion fare discount code show up in my My account profile?

The code is automatically added into the primary cardholder's My account profile.

Visa Signature® consumer credit card holders should see their code after making $1,000 or more in purchases in the first 90 days of account opening. The companion fare discount code will be credited to the primary cardholder’s Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan account approximately two billing cycles after qualifying, and then on an annual basis dependent on your enrollment anniversary date.

Platinum Plus and World Elite credit card holders should see the code within 4-6 weeks after the first eligible purchase made on the account, and then on an annual basis dependent on enrollment anniversary date.

Effective June 13, 2016: For business credit card accounts, the companion fare discount code is issued after making $1,000 or more in purchases in the first 90 days of account opening. The companion fare discount code will be credited to the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan account approximately within the first two billing cycles after qualifying, and on each anniversary thereafter. Individual Level Earning Plan cardholders will receive one companion fare discount code per account each year. Only one companion fare discount code will be provided each year to a company in the Business Level Earning Plan.

WebTraveler Jan 2, 2017 7:25 am

When were you billed for the annual fee? When did that statement cut off?

My most recent companion ticket did not arrive in my box until around 10-23-2016 when I was awarded the miles for that months statement in my Alaska account.

My annual fee was charged 9-30-2016; ,my statement closed 10-16-2016. The miles for the month and the companion code showed up on the same date, about 10-23.

philemer Jan 2, 2017 8:25 am

Originally Posted by jinglish (Post 27690993)
That is absolutely not true.

Thanks for clarifying. Good to know!! As mentioned above I always cancel the card before the next AF comes due and then apply for another one. Love those 25K>30K pt bonuses each year.

ryandc99 Jan 3, 2017 9:12 pm

Hello Everyone,
I have cleaned up numerous posts on this thread and re opened the thread for everyone.

I would like to remind everyone of the flyertalk rules that prevent personal attacks and inflammatory posting.

Ryandc99, Moderator Alaska Airlines

PV_Premier Jan 13, 2017 4:14 pm

has anyone else recently seen a delay in the posting of their miles for January CC statements? my statement closed on 1/7 and still the miles for purchases haven't shown up. usually they get them in there within a couple of days.

Dieuwer Jan 16, 2017 12:01 pm

I think Alaska should offer a companion cert OR miles as annual bonus.

CurbedEnthusiasm Jan 16, 2017 1:08 pm

I currently have two AS personal Visas open. What's the best way to churn a third? I was thinking that I should lower the CL on card #1, wait a month, close it, and then wait a couple months to open card #3 (leaving me with card #2 and #3 open). Is that a good plan?

philemer Jan 16, 2017 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by CurbedEnthusiasm (Post 27770919)
I currently have two AS personal Visas open. What's the best way to churn a third? I was thinking that I should lower the CL on card #1, wait a month, close it, and then wait a couple months to open card #3 (leaving me with card #2 and #3 open). Is that a good plan?

Click on the link in the wiki and that thread will give you a little more info on your "strategery". :) But, probably not going to happen as BofA has cracked down on multiple AS cards. Have you thought about canceling both and then reapplying in a couple months?

sdsearch Jan 17, 2017 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by CurbedEnthusiasm (Post 27770919)

No. Lately people are getting denied for the personal if they even have one other personal card open!

The best way is to apply for the business card. You don't have to actually have a business, just answer that your business name is your name, you are sole proprietor, the minimum number of employees (if they don't accept 0 say 1), $0 income, 0 years in business. Also see this thread if you've never done it before:
With the business card application, you either get approved and will get a 30k bonus or you get denied. Nice and simple.

With the personal card application, you run a high risk at this point of being approved but only for a tiny credit limit, which would "doom" you to only a 5k bonus.

Wouldn't you rather be sure that you'll get 30k if you're approved? There's no such assurance with the personal card, especially if you have any open, especially if you haven't reduced credit lines to the bare minimum and then waited a month or two before closing, etc.

So, yes, do reduce the CL on both your existing cards than no more than you need (keeping in mind you never want to use more than 30% of any personal card's credit limit, because your credit score will start going down if any of your cards have over 30% per-card utilization). But then whether you close those personal cards or not is less important, if it's the business card you'll apply for next.

(Of course, this is all assuming you don't also have a business AS card already. I'd assume you would have mentioned that already if you did?)

PV_Premier Jan 24, 2017 7:38 am

If using the AS signature visa to purchase AS miles, do you get 3x bonus on the mileage purchase cost?

My guess is not, since the vendor is technically points.com and not Alaska Air, but I figured it was a "maybe" situation that was worth asking about...:o

Calculon Jan 24, 2017 7:40 am

Originally Posted by PV_Premier (Post 27809964)
If using the AS signature visa to purchase AS miles, do you get 3x bonus on the mileage purchase cost?

My guess is not, since the vendor is technically points.com and not Alaska Air, but I figured it was a "maybe" situation that was worth asking about...:o

You do not.

ChurningMan Jan 24, 2017 10:15 am

A friend of mine was recently declined for Opening his 3rd AS card. He had 2 existing and has not opened a CC since June. Reason was Too many inquiries in the past 12 months....