FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Blogger on thinly-veiled AS/WN Battle for California (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1864359-blogger-thinly-veiled-wn-battle-california.html)

notquiteaff Oct 14, 2017 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by jinglish (Post 28930067)
I wound up having an absolutely miserable experience involving a 3.5-hour delay on my connection from MDW and winding up with the middle next to me being taken by a C-group boarder who clearly wasn't using deodorant. My experience was miserable, and I have no intention of flying them anytime soon ....

Wait... the other airlines have no delays ever and let you select seat mates based on whether they use deodorant? ;)

I'd argue that WN actually has a slight advantage regarding undesirable seat mates: you can opt not to sit next to certain people when you board. No guarantee, but better than the complete lottery at other airlines. Unless you think undesirable seat neighbors are only boarding towards the very end.

Disclaimer: I don't live in a LUV market, and when I did (SFO) I only flew them very occasionally (when they actually were cheaper, had better timings or flew a real jet where I needed to go), but I don't hate them. They tend to do a good job offering transportation.

Would I fly them to Hawaii? No. I would want the extra leg room of UA E+ or AS Premium Class.

diver858 Oct 14, 2017 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward (Post 28932061)
Are people not allowed to have preferences that differ from yours, and participate on FT forums should they think both WN and AS are worthy of their custom?

Comment was not directed toward you. The last time I checked, the first amendment was still in force, we are all free to voice our opinions.

With that said: My comment was directed to someone who clearly had a subjective bias against AS, not obvious why they would participate in such a discussion. From posts in other forums, such comments are not unusual, so I am a bit surprised by the sensitivity.

jinglish Oct 14, 2017 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff (Post 28932317)
Wait... the other airlines have no delays ever and let you select seat mates based on whether they use deodorant? ;)

I'd argue that WN actually has a slight advantage regarding undesirable seat mates: you can opt not to sit next to certain people when you board. No guarantee, but better than the complete lottery at other airlines. Unless you think undesirable seat neighbors are only boarding towards the very end.

Naturally I've experienced delays flying AS, including one even longer than the one on WN... but the current QX fiasco aside, AS has consistently been noted by FlightStats as the most punctual US carrier. And when delays do happen on a connection, I'll at least be stuck at a decent airport like PDX, SEA, or SFO T2, where I don't need to have PP to not be miserable and get more than thirty minutes of internet. WN has left me to twiddle my thumbs at... MDW and OAK. Yippee.

I've found that seatmates aren't much of a lottery for me. Even as an MVP I've only missed one upgrade in the last year, but when I do wind up in coach on AS I'm in 6A or 6F; when I've flown AA I've gotten free MCE at check-in; and on DL before the split I'd get a preferred seat and even the odd F upgrade. So if I even have an occupied middle seat next to me, I'm usually sitting with other elites who I'd think are at least slightly less likely to smell bad but, more importantly, are experienced travelers who know what they're doing--when we got to PDX at one in the morning, Mr. Needs Old Spice also spent a good twenty seconds fumbling with his belongings as if he hadn't noticed the ten rows ahead of him disembarking, trapping me in the window seat and holding up the aisle. And in this thread we've been listing all the reasons why WN is particularly appealing to the infrequent traveler! I suppose A-List status with WN could help since I could consistently grab a window seat at the front of the plane, but given my travel patterns and the fact that WN has no international partners, I'd never qualify.

And I do actually think that WN's C-listers are at least a bit more likely to be undesirable seatmates, simply because they're probably checking in at the airport instead of using OLCI. On an airline for which check-in time is so important, savvy non-elites are either checking in right at the cutoff or buying up to the A group. I've encountered kettles who don't even know you can skip airport check-in.

jinglish Oct 14, 2017 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by diver858 (Post 28932452)
The last time I checked, the first amendment was still in force, we are all free to voice our opinions.

Given that FlyerTalk isn't run by a government entity, the first amendment actually doesn't apply at all, for what it's worth.

My comment was directed to someone who clearly had a subjective bias against AS

So a 75K who suggested that he might sometimes fly an airline that could offer him more than just SEA/PDX connections and seasonal Hawaii service has a clear bias against AS? Seems reasonable. :rolleyes:

not obvious why they would participate in such a discussion.

...says the person who has started multiple threads on the WN board by insulting WN flyers and telling them how terrible their airline of choice is.

3ur0tr45h Oct 14, 2017 7:47 pm

My comment was directed to someone who clearly had a subjective bias against AS, not obvious why they would participate in such a discussion. From posts in other forums, such comments are not unusual, so I am a bit surprised by the sensitivity.

I don't have a subjective bias against AS...I'm a G75k! I think my views on the current situation at AS are pretty objective. I'm a west coast business traveler with over 100 segs on the year and I'm based out of BLI. AS is the only game here. I used to be based in PHX and split my travel between AS & WN. There are objective benefits to each but if you look at it, AS is getting worse and WN is getting better.

The way I see it, AS was a 8/10 but due to QX issues & general deterioration of service & amenities I would rate it at a 6/10. WN was a 4/10 but with nice new seats, free wifi, better service, frequency they are easily a 6/10. Not to mention they are now running the 737 MAX!

Also, I actually like the boarding process at WN. It may get ugly at times but they do give you the option to opt out of that for a very small fee and it's a non-issue for elites. The boarding process for AS REALLY gets under my skin as a 75k. All the seemingly random boarding groups, lack of consistency in calling the groups, crowding at the gate, group jumpers, etc. When the GA says "now boarding MVPs, Alaska Golds and Gold 75k, American Platinum & platinum elite, Virgin Elevate, etc...." and you get rushed by 50 MVPs hovering around the gate.

Then there's the issue of QX. This isn't an issue for everyone but it's a huge issue for me as every trip I take includes at least two QX segs. There have been multiple times where my BLI/SEA segs have been canceled or I've been priced out because they increased the prices by 400% due to their issues. This crap keeps me up at night before a 5am departure.

At the end of the day, I'm as loyal to AS as they are to me.

worldwidedreamer Oct 16, 2017 12:21 pm

I've always liked the overall Alaska product, and as a SFO-based flyer feel that the combination of AS+VX will most likely convince me to shift the part of my travel budget that currently goes to UA (I'm usually Gold or Plat)---even though much of my UA travel is global and AS does not really offer partner lounge access and anecdotally I've had much difficulty getting partner points/EQMs to post.

At the same time, WN offers a very compelling product: gate to gate fast wifi free for elites, easy to change flights, big planes everywhere and the Mrs. travels free.

diver858 Oct 17, 2017 11:07 am

https://slickdeals.net/f/10636592-fr...only-targeted?

Appears that WN is upping the ante, veil is becoming increasingly thinner...