FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   How is a $25 discount really $14? [Resolved] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1853386-how-25-discount-really-14-resolved.html)

Eujeanie Jul 12, 2017 7:13 pm

How is a $25 discount really $14? [Resolved]

I recently claimed a baggage guarantee, and since we have so many miles I opted to take the $25.

I'm looking at a fare of $79, so I figured the $25 discount would bring the fare down to $54.

Wrong.

When I "shop" using the discount code, the $79 fare shows as a $65 fare, so only a savings of $14.

Why?

flyupfrnt Jul 12, 2017 7:20 pm

That's odd. I generally get additional value from E-certs because they seem to lower the taxes associated with the ticket as well.

PDXPremier Jul 12, 2017 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie (Post 28553587)
I recently claimed a baggage guarantee, and since we have so many miles I opted to take the $25.

I'm looking at a fare of $79, so I figured the $25 discount would bring the fare down to $44.

Wrong.

When I "shop" using the discount code, the $79 fare shows as a $65 fare, so only a savings of $14.

Why?

Even if you have a lot of miles, 2,500 miles is generally considered to be worth more than $25 :) I think of it this way...would I rather have $25 or the amount of miles a non-elite flyer would earn (almost) on a trans con flight from PDX to EWR?

Eujeanie Jul 12, 2017 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by flyupfrnt (Post 28553599)
That's odd. I generally get additional value from E-certs because they seem to lower the taxes associated with the ticket as well.

Well my math was a little off (I fixed it) but it's still not a $25 discount.

Finkface Jul 12, 2017 7:39 pm

2 Attachment(s)
The discount is off the base fare, which is $59.53 in my example. So,you take the $25 off the base fare and add the taxes and fees (which are slighly less on the discounted ticket). It says right on the summary 'Discount does not apply to taxes, fees and charges'. So look at your fare breakdown for the base fare. For example:

dayone Jul 12, 2017 7:40 pm

Prorated on a round trip or two fares?

sullim4 Jul 12, 2017 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier (Post 28553612)
Even if you have a lot of miles, 2,500 miles is generally considered to be worth more than $25 :) I think of it this way...would I rather have $25 or the amount of miles a non-elite flyer would earn (almost) on a trans con flight from PDX to EWR?

Interesting... I always take the cash. I can't fly on miles - I need as many as I can for status!

Eujeanie Jul 20, 2017 8:37 am

In full disclosure I figured out what I did wrong - what an idiot I am. :rolleyes:

Yes, it was a case of using the $25 certificate on 2 tickets...that's it! So it divided it up between the two, $14 should have been $28 (not sure how that worked, but I think someone else mentioned they also got more).

I just used it for one ticket that was $99 (including tax) and it brought it down to $72 (including tax), so a savings of $27 (don't know why, but not complaining).

Then I used the other one for the other person.

Since we have so many miles stockpiled, if it happened again (late luggage) I would again take the cash - less cash out of my pocket, the better I like it.

But I have a question...if the fare should go down, can I claim the Best Price Guarantee? I mean, does the fare have to go below $72, or just below $99?

OO-SLC-CR9 Jul 20, 2017 9:27 am

Originally Posted by Eujeanie (Post 28583791)
But I have a question...if the fare should go down, can I claim the Best Price Guarantee? I mean, does the fare have to go below $72, or just below $99?

In my experience it has to go below $72. I also take the cash over the miles.

Eujeanie Jul 20, 2017 9:35 am

Originally Posted by OO-SLC-CR9 (Post 28584007)
In my experience it has to go below $72. I also take the cash over the miles.

Oh poop. I hoped it would be the "fare" went down, not how much I paid went down. But that's ok, I got a good price for that route from here.

rune87 Jul 20, 2017 10:26 am

I just did a low fare claim on a cert. Its what the original fare is prior to using the cert. So in your case if the fare dropped to $80 you would get $19 back, effectively making your ticket about $50.

Baze Jul 20, 2017 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by sullim4 (Post 28553825)
Interesting... I always take the cash. I can't fly on miles - I need as many as I can for status!

There are other uses for miles. Don't have to use them for flying.

sbm12 Jul 20, 2017 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by Baze (Post 28584829)
There are other uses for miles. Don't have to use them for flying.

Perhaps, but they're rarely worth more than a penny in those scenarios.

SpicyMorale Jul 20, 2017 9:45 pm

I had $50 get bumped up closer to $60, my gf had $200 get beefed up too.

beckoa Jul 20, 2017 11:46 pm

Yes, it was a case of using the $25 certificate on 2 tickets...that's it! So it divided it up between the two, $14 should have been $28 (not sure how that worked, but I think someone else mentioned they also got more).

Glad this got straightened out ^

Since we have so many miles stockpiled, if it happened again (late luggage) I would again take the cash - less cash out of my pocket, the better I like it.

I go back and forth on this, sometimes cash, sometimes miles. I've been collecting a few vouchers recently, so lately it's been miles. I also find miles easy to claim via an email.

As long as the base of your airfare is above the discount voucher, you should get $ back with a GARR.