Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

How is a $25 discount really $14? [Resolved]

Old Jul 12, 2017, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold

I recently claimed a baggage guarantee, and since we have so many miles I opted to take the $25.

I'm looking at a fare of $79, so I figured the $25 discount would bring the fare down to $54.

Wrong.

When I "shop" using the discount code, the $79 fare shows as a $65 fare, so only a savings of $14.

Why?

Last edited by Eujeanie; Jul 12, 2017 at 7:23 pm
Old Jul 12, 2017, 7:20 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
That's odd. I generally get additional value from E-certs because they seem to lower the taxes associated with the ticket as well.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I recently claimed a baggage guarantee, and since we have so many miles I opted to take the $25.

I'm looking at a fare of $79, so I figured the $25 discount would bring the fare down to $44.

Wrong.

When I "shop" using the discount code, the $79 fare shows as a $65 fare, so only a savings of $14.

Why?
Even if you have a lot of miles, 2,500 miles is generally considered to be worth more than $25 I think of it this way...would I rather have $25 or the amount of miles a non-elite flyer would earn (almost) on a trans con flight from PDX to EWR?
Old Jul 12, 2017, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyupfrnt
That's odd. I generally get additional value from E-certs because they seem to lower the taxes associated with the ticket as well.
Well my math was a little off (I fixed it) but it's still not a $25 discount.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 7:39 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
The discount is off the base fare, which is $59.53 in my example. So,you take the $25 off the base fare and add the taxes and fees (which are slighly less on the discounted ticket). It says right on the summary 'Discount does not apply to taxes, fees and charges'. So look at your fare breakdown for the base fare. For example:
Attached Images   

Last edited by Finkface; Jul 12, 2017 at 7:58 pm Reason: Removed my disc. code - don't want you dirty rats to steal it!
Old Jul 12, 2017, 7:40 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Prorated on a round trip or two fares?
Old Jul 12, 2017, 8:34 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Even if you have a lot of miles, 2,500 miles is generally considered to be worth more than $25 I think of it this way...would I rather have $25 or the amount of miles a non-elite flyer would earn (almost) on a trans con flight from PDX to EWR?
Interesting... I always take the cash. I can't fly on miles - I need as many as I can for status!
Old Jul 20, 2017, 8:37 am
Original Poster

In full disclosure I figured out what I did wrong - what an idiot I am.

Yes, it was a case of using the $25 certificate on 2 tickets...that's it! So it divided it up between the two, $14 should have been $28 (not sure how that worked, but I think someone else mentioned they also got more).

I just used it for one ticket that was $99 (including tax) and it brought it down to $72 (including tax), so a savings of $27 (don't know why, but not complaining).

Then I used the other one for the other person.

Since we have so many miles stockpiled, if it happened again (late luggage) I would again take the cash - less cash out of my pocket, the better I like it.

But I have a question...if the fare should go down, can I claim the Best Price Guarantee? I mean, does the fare have to go below $72, or just below $99?
Old Jul 20, 2017, 9:27 am

Programs: All the Programs...
But I have a question...if the fare should go down, can I claim the Best Price Guarantee? I mean, does the fare have to go below $72, or just below $99?
In my experience it has to go below $72. I also take the cash over the miles.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OO-SLC-CR9
In my experience it has to go below $72. I also take the cash over the miles.
Oh poop. I hoped it would be the "fare" went down, not how much I paid went down. But that's ok, I got a good price for that route from here.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
I just did a low fare claim on a cert. Its what the original fare is prior to using the cert. So in your case if the fare dropped to $80 you would get $19 back, effectively making your ticket about $50.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sullim4
Interesting... I always take the cash. I can't fly on miles - I need as many as I can for status!
There are other uses for miles. Don't have to use them for flying.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 1:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Baze
There are other uses for miles. Don't have to use them for flying.
Perhaps, but they're rarely worth more than a penny in those scenarios.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 9:45 pm

Programs: AS (75K+ miles flown) | Marriott Rewards | MLife Sapphire | Identity Silver | Hertz Gold Plus |
I had $50 get bumped up closer to $60, my gf had $200 get beefed up too.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 11:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Yes, it was a case of using the $25 certificate on 2 tickets...that's it! So it divided it up between the two, $14 should have been $28 (not sure how that worked, but I think someone else mentioned they also got more).
Glad this got straightened out ^

Since we have so many miles stockpiled, if it happened again (late luggage) I would again take the cash - less cash out of my pocket, the better I like it.
I go back and forth on this, sometimes cash, sometimes miles. I've been collecting a few vouchers recently, so lately it's been miles. I also find miles easy to claim via an email.

As long as the base of your airfare is above the discount voucher, you should get $ back with a GARR.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.