Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS and AA Partnership Changes (Effective 1 January 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Link to Official AS Blog Post

Major points from this thread and from missydarlin:

• Effective Jan 1, 2018, domestic AA-marketed flights will not earn any Mileage Plan miles. AS-marketed, AA-operated codeshares will continue to earn AS miles at the AS earning rate (ie a minimum of one mile earned per mile flown). Domestic flights marketed by other partners (eg BA) and operated by AA will no longer earn AS miles. Post-Jan 1 flights booked prior to Jul 6, 2017 may be submitted for mileage credit.
  • International AA flights (including US-Canada and US-Mexico) will continue to earn AS miles. Domestic AA flights which connect to international flights will not earn miles. It will remain impossible to book international AA-operated flights through Alaska to get an AS codeshare or an AS-operated domestic feeder flight.
  • Reciprocal elite status benefits (waived checked bag fees, preferred/MCE seat assignments, priority boarding) between AA and AS go away Jan 1, 2018. Seat assignments made prior to Jan 1 for post-Jan 1 flights will remain.
  • The reciprocal lounge access arrangment between AA and AS will not change.
  • AA will remain a mileage redemption partner of AS with only relatively minor tweaks to the award chart (some increases, some decreases).

Link to share your feedback with Alaska Airlines:

https://www.alaskaair.com/feedback

Discussion in the American Airlines forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...an-2018-a.html
Print Wikipost

AS and AA Partnership Changes (Effective 1 January 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
This is bad news, but I hope AS builds itself a east coast or midwest hub to become a truly national carrier. There are so many cities east of the Rockies that need to be served where AS/VX currently do not fly, or do not fly with good schedules.
Maybe something for the medium to long term but counting on this is pure folly for the next few years. They already have their hands full with VX and dealing with competition on the West Coast. The East Coast already has a lot more incumbent players. AS is giving up on premium traffic between the coasts already. It would take a lot of resources they don't have to open up an operation of any size outside of the West Coast.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by ryandc99
This is a huge question that we need the answer to.
Missy did answer it in the consolidated questions thread, no miles will be earned on domestic flights when connecting to an international flight.

All these partners with AS and almost no benefits with any of them. Pretty disappointed with Alaska right now. This is a huge loss. Other airlines cover most of Alaska's route network, so it may make sense to switch. Will lose some mileage earning (the flights AS would have otherwise operated) but would still get access to OK seats worldwide and other benefits.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 12:11 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by alphaeagle
Missy did answer it in the consolidated questions thread, no miles will be earned on domestic flights when connecting to an international flight.

All these partners with AS and almost no benefits with any of them. Pretty disappointed with Alaska right now. This is a huge loss. Other airlines cover most of Alaska's route network, so it may make sense to switch. Will lose some mileage earning (the flights AS would have otherwise operated) but would still get access to OK seats worldwide and other benefits.
Wow. This is a complete gutting of the AA relationship with this. I am glad I moved on to Delta.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: MVPGold 75K
I am still beyond words. I assumed that when part of international ticket you would get miles. I fly almost business so this is a no no. I have to seriously think it over.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 12:14 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Alaska Lounge, HHonors Silver, Bonvoy Gold, National Executive
What are the baggage rules for a flight that starts with an AS marketed AA segment? I tend to fly AS SEA-ORD connecting to AA ORD-CID, sold as an AS codeshare. I assume outbound as an MVPG I would get two bags free. On the return, since I start the trip with AA, but on an AS codeshare, would I have to pay for my bags?
Old Jul 6, 2017, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by alphaeagle
So then you have to put your AS number in there, get credit for the INTL legs only, then later contact AA for AA credit for the domestic legs? An administrative headache on top of it...
Old Jul 6, 2017, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
AS is really doubling down on being the go-to airline for the west coast. Perhaps this is a viable strategy, but the competition from WN and DL is formidable and the latter offers a comprehensive home-metal international network and a true alliance.

A compounding issue is that while there are a lot of domestic road warriors, there aren't that many high value ones who concentrate 90% of their flying in the ANC-LAX corridor. The VX acquisition isn't going to allow for a rapid expansion in the east except for JFK, DC, and FLL.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by lg20
What are the baggage rules for a flight that starts with an AS marketed AA segment? I tend to fly AS SEA-ORD connecting to AA ORD-CID, sold as an AS codeshare. I assume outbound as an MVPG I would get two bags free. On the return, since I start the trip with AA, but on an AS codeshare, would I have to pay for my bags?
Most likely. I hope that AA and AS will in fact allow the reciprocal elite checked bag fee waiver to continue on codeshare flights, since they're treating codeshares quite differently than partner prime flights (a situation that has never been the case with AS's partnerships before). However, I don't know of any reciprocal checked bag fee waiver in the US that has been like that before and there's no indication in the materials from either AA or AS that this will be the case. So I'd be pretty sure that it will be the standard situation: your ticketed allowance and bag fees will be determined by the ticketing carrier, and any waivers of checked bag fees will be applied by the airline you check in with each day (ie the operating airline for your first segment).
Old Jul 6, 2017, 12:20 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Earnings on pre-7/6 bookings

From the blog:

Caitlin Goettler, Staff Writer
July 6, 2017
Hi Chris – if you’ve booked an American marketed and operated flight prior to July 6, 2017 for travel in 2018, you’ll still be able to earn miles. Just submit a mileage credit request after your flight. As an elite member, if you book on American this year and select a preferred seat for a flight in 2018, it will still hold.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by channa
So then you have to put your AS number in there, get credit for the INTL legs only, then later contact AA for AA credit for the domestic legs? An administrative headache on top of it...
Can you really split an itinerary (PNR) like that?
Old Jul 6, 2017, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
if certain flights on your record come back "declined" for credit from one carrier, you can submit them to another carrier for consideration, generally speaking.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
It's noteworthy that this takes effect on January 1, 2018, the day VX's Elevate program ceases to exist. So either AS thinks that their network is now viable enough for their primary customer base (those based between SAN and AK inclusive) that they don't need AA as a full partner anymore or AA isn't willing to hand out miles and status benefits to the much-larger set of CA-based flyers who had been VX customers but are now AS customers (since CA-based flyers are AA's market in a way that WA, OR, and AK-based flyers aren't).
Old Jul 6, 2017, 12:33 pm

Premier status match just submitted to UA. Buh bye Alaska.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
You wouldn't "split" it, you would post the declined segments to another carrier manually.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 12:42 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Alaska Lounge, HHonors Silver, Bonvoy Gold, National Executive
Originally Posted by ashill
It's noteworthy that this takes effect on January 1, 2018, the day VX's Elevate program ceases to exist. So either AS thinks that their network is now viable enough for their primary customer base (those based between SAN and AK inclusive) that they don't need AA as a full partner anymore or AA isn't willing to hand out miles and status benefits to the much-larger set of CA-based flyers who had been VX customers but are now AS customers (since CA-based flyers are AA's market in a way that WA, OR, and AK-based flyers aren't).
My read on this whole situation is that this is another requirement for merger approval, since it matches with the codeshare changes on AA flights. There's not really a great business case from either AA or AS to do this. I don't know that there's a ton of AA fliers that really just credit everything to AS, and if there are, they aren't costing them a ton. The reciprocal elite benefits can't cost more than the drive in revenue, so it's kinda a lose lose for both. That's why it seems as if this is more a ramification of merger approval.

AS isn't yet situated to be a full competitor to the big three, so hopefully this pushes them to do more non-NW regional flying, since that's really the biggest loss here. Or, find some way to make AS codeshares on AA have the old benefits. They're usually expensive enough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.