Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS and AA Partnership Changes (Effective 1 January 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Link to Official AS Blog Post

Major points from this thread and from missydarlin:

• Effective Jan 1, 2018, domestic AA-marketed flights will not earn any Mileage Plan miles. AS-marketed, AA-operated codeshares will continue to earn AS miles at the AS earning rate (ie a minimum of one mile earned per mile flown). Domestic flights marketed by other partners (eg BA) and operated by AA will no longer earn AS miles. Post-Jan 1 flights booked prior to Jul 6, 2017 may be submitted for mileage credit.
  • International AA flights (including US-Canada and US-Mexico) will continue to earn AS miles. Domestic AA flights which connect to international flights will not earn miles. It will remain impossible to book international AA-operated flights through Alaska to get an AS codeshare or an AS-operated domestic feeder flight.
  • Reciprocal elite status benefits (waived checked bag fees, preferred/MCE seat assignments, priority boarding) between AA and AS go away Jan 1, 2018. Seat assignments made prior to Jan 1 for post-Jan 1 flights will remain.
  • The reciprocal lounge access arrangment between AA and AS will not change.
  • AA will remain a mileage redemption partner of AS with only relatively minor tweaks to the award chart (some increases, some decreases).

Link to share your feedback with Alaska Airlines:

https://www.alaskaair.com/feedback

Discussion in the American Airlines forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...an-2018-a.html
Print Wikipost

AS and AA Partnership Changes (Effective 1 January 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2017, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by golfingboy
This is quite common among other carriers... Scott Kirby, when he was with AA, shared that 50% of AA's revenue comes from 87% of customers who flies once per year and the other 13% is responsible for the other half.

In other words, those 13% generate 6.7 times more revenue for the airline and flies AA more than twice a year.

I don't know if the math is similar for AS but I'd think if AA did something to cause many of the 13% to change their relationship with AA it would have serious impact to their bottom line. This happened to UA during Jeff Smisek's final years and they are still trying to recover from it.
Yup, and given AS's relative size, it's not uncommon for people to credit OALs when flying AS (and vice versa). The DL or AA FFer would fly AS from time to time and vice versa.

And now that they have SFO and LAX, the market of high volume travelers is much more significant. These customers need frequency and breadth of network. AS's marketing in the Bay Area has been around how the network of partners plus them makes them a viable airline. Losing DL and now AA is a massive hit. It's a disproportionately big hit in the Bay Area and LAX since we have no codeshares on AA metal out of SFO/LAX, and limited proper AS service out of SFO.

As far as I can tell, you cannot connect from VX to AA on a single ticket, even if the VX flight is coded as AS. That means the bulk of SFO or LAX AS/VX service that would get you to an AA hub (ORD/DFW/JFK/PHL, they don't serve MIA/PHX/CLT) is unusable for AS connections. So despite AS claiming to have codeshare options out of ORD/DFW/etc. on AA, the two major customer bases that they paid dearly for are simply unable to use them.

If AS wants to try to bridge this gap, they need SFO-DFW/MIA/ORD/JFK on AS metal with connectivity to AA codeshares.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
How exactly are they chasing a customer base in California? AA/DL FFers that might have chosen AS due to the partnership are now out. UA/WN loyalists would not choose AS. VX flyers are being alienated as the VX product continues to degrade and the replacement will be worse...

At this point, AS is losing more than they are gaining through the acquisition.
Remember the main gain that motivated the VX deal: JetBlue didn't get it. AS bought itself a little scale and a little time. Had B6-VX occurred, it would have been an existential threat to AS. Everything else was secondary, including all your valid points.

So, the good news is, AS/VX and B6 will have roughly co-equal scale. The bad news is, AS/VX presents a giant digestion challenge that was repelling customers in California anyway, and has just been made worse throughout Alaskaland.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Next question, what about AA-coded AS-operated domestic flights? Will we really get no miles for those, despite being AS-operated?

I see AS metal flights that are much cheaper on the AA code than the AS code.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by channa
Hypothesis: you won't be rewarded for source-shopping lowest price.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Next question, what about AA-coded AS-operated domestic flights? Will we really get no miles for those, despite being AS-operated?

Will these continue to exist after Jan 1st?
Old Jul 8, 2017, 11:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Baze
Will these continue to exist after Jan 1st?
Afaik code sharing isn't going away. So probably yes.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220
I'd say this week's news means they're definitely taking their loyalists for granted now. The hypotheses that if you're in SEA and need to go MHT or CHO or GRR, you just won't go, or you'll pay more to fly AS on its one flight per day to the nearest AS station and drive 100-200 miles, or you'll tear up the Internet trying to find rare AS/AA codeshares at premium prices and surrender to their schedule... the assumption that you'll be fine earning zero miles on AA flights to international gateways... all that seems to me to assume a hell of a lot of blind loyalty.

I just don't think it's there. AS doesn't hold that many face cards, there aren't that many real captive customers as you say, and the air is about to get far rougher.
This is an interesting discussion and one point that's been ignored is that there can be different definitions of loyalist. Customers that are primarily loyal to Mileage Plan may be profitable, particularly if they have a credit card, but they are fickle. Their loyalty and satisfaction depends on AS' partners.

Customers that fly AS because the network fits their travel patterns are the type of loyal customers AS really wants. AS gets more control over these customers' experience and whether their satisfied or not. These customers will not be as fickle and will almost certainly be higher margin.

I think the evolution of the airline means that some previously loyal customers will be willingly let go in exchange for targeting more suitable customers that actually earn status with butts in AS seats.

Yup, and given AS's relative size, it's not uncommon for people to credit OALs when flying AS (and vice versa). The DL or AA FFer would fly AS from time to time and vice versa.

And now that they have SFO and LAX, the market of high volume travelers is much more significant. These customers need frequency and breadth of network. AS's marketing in the Bay Area has been around how the network of partners plus them makes them a viable airline. Losing DL and now AA is a massive hit. It's a disproportionately big hit in the Bay Area and LAX since we have no codeshares on AA metal out of SFO/LAX, and limited proper AS service out of SFO.
Why is AS at a greater disadvantage to customers in the Bay Area and LAX than VX was prior to the merger? VX had no domestic partners and less network utility.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by fly18725
Why is AS at a greater disadvantage to customers in the Bay Area and LAX than VX was prior to the merger? VX had no domestic partners and less network utility.
But we knew that "going in" and VX was a secondary program for many of us, or if it was the primary program, we had a secondary program. AS was the other program for many of us. It was bad enough that I had to join DL earlier this year just to bank a pittance of time-to-time points. Now I may have to add a OW member.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 2:53 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
A bit off topic, but thanks to someone I believe in this thread, I became aware of the 25,000 point JFK to LAX transcons and booked one for my GF for an upcoming trip

I'm doing a work trip to CA and have to fly from LAX to SFO. I wasn't aware that Alaska elites (I'm a matched MVP Gold) didn't get preferential seats. If I book Virgin on that flight, can I still credit it to AA this year?
Old Jul 8, 2017, 2:57 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by Adelphos
If I book Virgin on that flight, can I still credit it to AA this year?
Nope - only AS metal can be credited to AA.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 4:58 pm

So any AA flights booked after July 6th for the rest of 2017, still earns on AS right?
Old Jul 8, 2017, 4:58 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by alphaeagle
I was thinking of all sorts of scenarios where this wouldn't be devastating. If they announced they were increasing benefits on all other partners. Or they placed an order for 787s for their own international flying along with 100 more 737 MAXs and E175s for QX to start a Midwest hub.
Be careful what you wish for. If AS introduces long-haul international flights, it will be much harder for them to retain a distance-based rewards program. The stage lengths are too long, and the competition to Europe and Asia has become very fierce.

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
This effectively removes AA as a viable international partner for me. I cannot get to DFW or MIA on AS from here, and even if I could, it couldn't be on an AS-issued ticket if it were to be one PNR. And there's no way I'm going through the hoops of baggage claim and re-checking on 2 PNR trips because of this new policy.
I don't really get why the domestic-leg exclusion is the straw that breaks the camel's back. The vast majority of AA fares sold these days only earn 25-50% miles anyway. If that didn't already deter you, why now? Are you always booking premium cabins or last-minute fares?
Old Jul 8, 2017, 5:28 pm

Programs: AS 75K, UA Plt
Originally Posted by milypan
I don't really get why the domestic-leg exclusion is the straw that breaks the camel's back. The vast majority of AA fares sold these days only earn 25-50% miles anyway. If that didn't already deter you, why now? Are you always booking premium cabins or last-minute fares?
I fly international business, I and D fares, where the connecting flights yield 150% EQMs. That is why this matters.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fly18725
VX is a niche carrier and never positioned itself beyond that.

Based on AS's own marketing, they've been saying us + the partners = the big network. They're positioning themselves, at least in the Bay Area, as a viable alternative to UA for everything. They're after the frequent traveler who many need to go anywhere. And up until they lost AA, that was for the most part, true.

But that just changed with losing AA domestic. They literally took the vast majority of secondary markets off the map for Bay Area customers since there's no viable way to get there from the Bay Area.

Now if you only go to Top 10 major domestic markets (minus MIA and ATL), this announcement is a non issue. But then again, those people were not likely flying AA to begin with.

Remember that much of what AS serves out of SEA is not practical for SFO/LAX customers. SEA is too far out of the way to connect, not to mention, they often don't price those as connections even if you were willing to tolerate the inconvenience. Midwest/East Coast that require a connection are often better served on UA, AA, or DL over AS. That wasn't a problem with the AA partnership. That is a problem now.

They've made their program very difficult to use for many high-volume travelers.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 6:24 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by milypan
I don't really get why the domestic-leg exclusion is the straw that breaks the camel's back. The vast majority of AA fares sold these days only earn 25-50% miles anyway.
A lot of west coast flyers qualify on segments. I can personally live with 50% RDM as long as I get the full segment. AA (or DL) has always rounded out my
qualification journey nicely. Anyway, with 500 mile minimum, there are quite a few destinations where you're only losing a few hundred miles anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.