Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What should my strategy be for booking 6 seats?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2017, 3:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold

Anyone know how many seats are in each bucket?

We have 4 flying from PDX.

And then us 2 flying from EUG to PDX, connecting with them to our final destination.

I'd hate to book the 4 of them and then find out the fare had jumped way up for us.

Or would I be better off booking us 2 first...then the 4 of them? Same thing, want the low price for all.

These right now are wide open flights 11 months from now.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Anyone know how many seats are in each bucket?
ExpertFlyer.com
Old Jun 20, 2017, 5:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is a ton of missing detail.

1. What is your final destination?
2. Is your final destination on AS?
3. Is PDX-Final Destination to be booked on the same ticket as EUG-PDX?

Depending on the answers to these questions, there are different approaches which don't require going through the rigamarole of EF and then finding out that someone else has snagged the seats while you are online and waiting to hit Send.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 7:09 am
Original Poster

1. PHX
2. Yes
3. Yes

They will be on the PDX-PHX nonstop, and we'll fly from EUG, meet them in PDX, and continue all together on the same flight.

And then the return will be the reverse. We'll all fly together PHX-PDX, they'll get off and go home, we'll get off and get on a PDX-EUG flight.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 7:30 am

If you can provide the date and flight number, someone can check the inventory on EF. Otherwise, you can manually check the price per ticket for one person on the desired flight, then adding an additional person to see if the price per person remains the same. Repeat, all the way to six passengers. That will provide your answer.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
married segment fare, if applicable, on EUG-PDX-PHX might put a small wrench in your plan about discerning the number of seats on PDX-PHX.

you should pay attention to the # of seats in the lowest inventory code as well as the ones above it for PDX-PHX. what you want to avoid is seeing something like K4/H4/M6, because if you buy two tickets on EUG-PDX-PHX, you'll likely drive that PDX-PHX down to K2/H2/M4, pushing all 4 of your PDX-PHX tickets into a much more expensive M fare bucket.

depending on the availability you might have to play with this a bit to optimize potential cost.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 8:11 am
Original Poster

No worries, I just did it!

I never thought to check 6 psgrs from PDX-PHX and when I did that they were all there, so first I booked us 2 from EUG, then went back and booked the 4 of them from PDX, all for the same low price.

Thanks anyway for all your help!
Old Jun 20, 2017, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
No worries, I just did it!

I never thought to check 6 psgrs from PDX-PHX and when I did that they were all there, so first I booked us 2 from EUG, then went back and booked the 4 of them from PDX, all for the same low price.

Thanks anyway for all your help!
I don't know how much you care about seating, but keep in mind, if the other 4 passengers are not elite and you (+1) are, you and your +1 will potentially get upgraded into F, but I guess you can tell the other 4 in PDX that the upgrade is your "travel agent fee" for being the one to book the tickets
Old Jun 20, 2017, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I don't know how much you care about seating, but keep in mind, if the other 4 passengers are not elite and you (+1) are, you and your +1 will potentially get upgraded into F, but I guess you can tell the other 4 in PDX that the upgrade is your "travel agent fee" for being the one to book the tickets
Right now we're in the exit row, and they are behind us in 18.

IFFFF...we do get upgraded, I'm going to ask if the kids can sit in F and we'll sit next to the grandkids in 18. If they say no, then you're right, that's our fee for not just booking but also paying for the tickets.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 1:57 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
IFFFF...we do get upgraded, I'm going to ask if the kids can sit in F and we'll sit next to the grandkids in 18. If they say no, then you're right, that's our fee for not just booking but also paying for the tickets.
Just swap boarding passes before boarding. Maybe let the FA know. Or not.

You'll have to give up your free drink or chocolate () since you'd be sitting without status.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rustykettel
Just swap boarding passes before boarding. Maybe let the FA know. Or not.

You'll have to give up your free drink or chocolate () since you'd be sitting without status.
No cocktails or chocolate and jammed into 18? How will we survive!
Old Jun 20, 2017, 4:36 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
No cocktails or chocolate and jammed into 18? How will we survive!
I dunno, but be sure to come back afterwards to post how they wouldn't give you drinks, the chocolate, upgrades, and the PC snacklet so AS is clearly headed into the lav.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.