Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AeroMexico I fare

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2017, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

AeroMexico I fare

Will I really not get credit for an AeroMexico I fare?
It's not on the earning chart, but it's paid business class so it would be surprising to get 0 miles for it.
Has anyone done this and gotten credit (either by manually sending in the boarding pass, or automatically)?
I can change it to DL but of course I'd rather not.
Thanks.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 5:58 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HH Gold
Without someone that's actually gotten credit on an I fare it's hard to know for sure but as the "business" cabin pays out 25% COS+100% EQM on all fares. This isn't some type of industry or corporate rate? A deeply discounted fare class is the only thing that would make me think you wouldn't get credit.

Experience has been this isn't the first fare class snafu. If you search this forum VX had same issue recently.

Save boarding pass, send in if issue.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 6:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by pdubak
Save boarding pass, send in if issue.
Unfortunately, sending in your boarding pass won't help if the fare class isn't eligible. You may want to reach out to Alaska Customer Care prior to flying to check. Or perhaps you'll get a nice rep and they'll give credit retroactively.

What I'd do: Put in your Alaska FF#, see if it automatically posts. If you get past 14 days and it hasn't posted, send an email with the receipt and boarding pass. If still no credit, reach out to Delta for the retroactive credit. That way you give Alaska two chances for posting, but can still get credit with Delta if the escalation doesn't work.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.

It's not a "weird" fare inasmuch as they sell these on aeromexico.com. For this trip it was like $450 in economy and $600 to fly up front, so I went for it...

I asked Alaska via twitter DM and the rep thought it was weird that they didn't have it listed on their chart, and said they could research further after I fly if I don't get credit.

If I know Alaska won't give me credit for this, I figure I can save a lot of phone calls by just changing it when I check in. But it seems at least 50/50 odds that I can get Alaska credit, so I'm not going to worry about it for now.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP; Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
No credit

I flew AeroMexico I fare business class in Jan 2016 SFO-MEX-EZE return and no credit posted. When I emailed the boarding passes to Alaska they stated the fare was ineligible to earn any credit. I even called in to cust service and no dice.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 8:03 am

Programs: United MM, Alaska MVP, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
So happy to have these forums.

I'm traveling to Puerto Vallarta in June and was considering booking a business class ticket departing TIJ on AM. The flight was on a 787 AM dreamliner to MEX.

A quick check after reading these posts showed that it was indeed an I fare and I will be flying out of SAN instead.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 2:19 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K Aeroplan 25K HHonors Gold Marriott lifetime Plat IHG Plat Hertz Pres Club
Has anyone been able to "upgrade" an I fare to D or higher

The ineligibility of the Aeromexico I fare (advance purchase Business) is perplexing. For example, AM I fares earn 150% on Delta. This is simply a contractual flaw in the AS-AM agreement. MileagePlan customer service says there is no rationale for the exclusion. This fare class is simply inelegible. While at least getting credit for Y would be logical, MileagePlan seems pretty inflexible on this (because no contract compensation from AM).

I recently purchased an Aeromexico ticket through Amex where the fare class is not transparent at booking. I later received the electronic ticket receipt from AM and discovered the dreaded I class fare code.

Has anyone been able to "upgrade" the I class ticket (obviously for $$$) with Aeromexico to D or higher to get AS accrual? I have previously done this with DL (where it was pretty easy and not that much $) but was wondering if any FlyerTalkers had an experience to share.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 1:02 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by getoffthe grid
The ineligibility of the Aeromexico I fare (advance purchase Business) is perplexing. For example, AM I fares earn 150% on Delta. This is simply a contractual flaw in the AS-AM agreement. MileagePlan customer service says there is no rationale for the exclusion. This fare class is simply inelegible. While at least getting credit for Y would be logical, MileagePlan seems pretty inflexible on this (because no contract compensation from AM).

I recently purchased an Aeromexico ticket through Amex where the fare class is not transparent at booking. I later received the electronic ticket receipt from AM and discovered the dreaded I class fare code.

Has anyone been able to "upgrade" the I class ticket (obviously for $$$) with Aeromexico to D or higher to get AS accrual? I have previously done this with DL (where it was pretty easy and not that much $) but was wondering if any FlyerTalkers had an experience to share.
I don't have direct experience but ITA Matrix can help you determine the price differential. The jump from I to D to C to J can be substantial. Replicate your itinerary in Matrix Airfare Search. Under Destination click on Advanced Controls, enter AM+ for the Routing Codes and F bc=d for the Extension codes. What we are asking the search engine is to return fares for any number of segments on Aeromexico in booking class D between your orgin and destination. The Extension code for booking class will override whatever cabin is selected below so no need to select Business Class or higher. Select your already confirmed segments and compare the final price with that you already paid for I. If you are comfortable with the differential a call to either Amex or AM directly should suffice. I don't think they would be unhappy taking more money for the seat(s) they already sold.

Cheers! 😊
Old Aug 6, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: Alaska 75K Aeroplan 25K HHonors Gold Marriott lifetime Plat IHG Plat Hertz Pres Club
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I don't have direct experience but ITA Matrix can help you determine the price differential. The jump from I to D to C to J can be substantial. Replicate your itinerary in Matrix Airfare Search. Under Destination click on Advanced Controls, enter AM+ for the Routing Codes and F bc=d for the Extension codes. What we are asking the search engine is to return fares for any number of segments on Aeromexico in booking class D between your orgin and destination. The Extension code for booking class will override whatever cabin is selected below so no need to select Business Class or higher. Select your already confirmed segments and compare the final price with that you already paid for I. If you are comfortable with the differential a call to either Amex or AM directly should suffice. I don't think they would be unhappy taking more money for the seat(s) they already sold.

Cheers! ��
Thank you so much for the advanced ITA Matrix tips. While my fare differential from I to D is $200 (at the top of the tolerance range), the I class also comes with an additional $200 change fee.

It is ironic that this flaw in AM-AS mileage accrual will result in me opening a DL SkyMiles account (after 30+ years of business travel). I can perhaps use the 150% mileage accrual for AM I class on DL as a head start on a status match challenge. Thanks again for your advice.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Thank you so much for the advanced ITA Matrix tips. While my fare differential from I to D is $200 (at the top of the tolerance range), the I class also comes with an additional $200 change fee.

It is ironic that this flaw in AM-AS mileage accrual will result in me opening a DL SkyMiles account (after 30+ years of business travel). I can perhaps use the 150% mileage accrual for AM I class on DL as a head start on a status match challenge. Thanks again for your advice.
Before you do that: sometimes on upfaring, the change fee will be waived. It's at least worth asking about, if you've not already done so.

Agreed that the I fare on AM is an anomaly and it would be great if AS would be forthcoming with an explanation and its efforts to fix. All you ever hear is that I was an old discounted economy bucket which made the absence of credit understandable. But it's been several years at this point which suggests (a) intransigence by AM, or (b) a lack of initiative by AS...or, most likely, a little of both.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 8:35 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold

I would still call Aeromexico and explain your situation. Tell them you are loyal to Alaska Airlines and chose to fly Aeromexico because they are an Alaska Partner. Explain that you would like to credit your flights to Alaska but the class you booked is not eligible and you knew you were booking a business class itinerary but the fare class you were booking was unknown until after you purchased it through Amex. I would politely ask them if they would waive the change fee if you paid the fare difference to D. Perhaps a supervisor could authorize it? If needed, suggest that allowing a good will exception would ultimately result in additional revenues for their company as you could not afford to pay both the upgrade and pay the the change fee too. It would be a win win for both parties. It doesn't hurt to ask, if you don't the answer will always be no. 🤔

I just returned from Europe on a paid J fare on AA booked during Black Friday weekend last year. Of course there were schdule changes several times in the 8 months from booking until flight day resulting in a misconnect on my return requiring an overnight on on the last day of my vacation. Originally AA wanted to get me home on Iberia but that wasn't acceptable as I was crediting to AS. I spoke with a supervisor and upon detailing everything they allowed me to change my return origin from Spain to Italy and change my return date as well. They waived the $1000 Change Fee ($500 x2) and I paid a $149 fare differnce.

Worth a try,! Better AS EQMs than Delta Sky Pesos.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 2:53 pm

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Yeah - it is clearly an overlooked booking class. I would not hurt to send a note to AS. Perhaps if enough flyers bring it to their attention, then someone may act to fix it.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 1:59 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Does AM still credit to MP?

I fare issues aside, do AM still reliably post mules to AS/MP. Looking at a YVR-MEX-MTY in J next week and want to make sure I don't waste the miles by virtue of AM not being a "real" partner.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Frequentlander
I fare issues aside, do AM still reliably post mules to AS/MP. Looking at a YVR-MEX-MTY in J next week and want to make sure I don't waste the miles by virtue of AM not being a "real" partner.
If they don't post, you simply send in the BPs / receipt and AS will post them. Very simple.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 2:36 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
If they don't post, you simply send in the BPs / receipt and AS will post them. Very simple.
Thanks.

And thanks for not pointing out the semi-hilarious mules/miles typo!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.