Wiki Posts
Search

AS Fare Classes/Buckets

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2017, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 100k
AS Fare Classes/Buckets

I posted this chart in the flame-free thread a few days back and it seems like it has been helpful for members just joining this forum to better understand the Alaska Airlines fare classes.

So to make it easier to search, I am posting it in its own thread.

-------------------------

Below are all of the fare classes I have encountered and what they mean. It also lists whether or not they are upgradable and refundable.

Please note, this only applies to AS/QX/OOdbaAS metal only.

Upgrade waitlist priority is presently as follows: Y, B, H, K, M, L, V, S, N, Q, O, G, T. See the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...ades-work.html thread for more information.

This chart exists because information about fare classes is scattered around the Alaska website. I found it helpful to have all of this in one place.

Note that there is some overlap between current revenue and award fares - namely D, Y, N fares. There may be more classes that overlap, but it's hard to see until a ticket has been booked.

I'll try to keep this post updated if any of this changes.

Sources:
EDIT 4/4/18 - I finally got around to updating this.
EDIT 11/10/21 - updated for 2021

Last edited by PABE; Nov 10, 2021 at 1:19 pm
Old Jan 12, 2017, 2:11 pm
formerly known as felinaar

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Two suggestions:

(1) Sort the fares by upgrade hierarchy, i.e., so the award fares are interspersed with the revenue fares, since some awards will upgrade before inexpensive paid tickets.

(2) Add columns for Premium Class upgrade eligibility, not just first class.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 3:59 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I thought this was super secret stuff that us normal folks could never see. Are you even allowed to share this information? Now that I have read it, do I need to worry about Federal Agents knocking at my door?
Old Jan 17, 2017, 12:04 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, AA, BA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG, Hertz 5*
Thanks sturges for posting this information - very handy.

A question that hasn't been answered here, and one that applies to my current situation:
How are award upgrades processed where it is an international partner award in First or Business? For example, we're flying BA from LAX to LHR, but for the AS segment to get to LAX, they put us in the Main Cabin in W. Now, we're subject to A space opening up. If that happens before the various U space windows open for the elite levels, does ours get processed first?

Paging missydarlin...
Old Jan 17, 2017, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by pdxasflyer
Thanks sturges for posting this information - very handy.

A question that hasn't been answered here, and one that applies to my current situation:
How are award upgrades processed where it is an international partner award in First or Business? For example, we're flying BA from LAX to LHR, but for the AS segment to get to LAX, they put us in the Main Cabin in W. Now, we're subject to A space opening up. If that happens before the various U space windows open for the elite levels, does ours get processed first?

Paging missydarlin...
If A opens before U and you are on the A waitlist, you should clear instantly.

If A opens simultaneous to U, I would guess that you would clear at the same time as the instant upgrades, probably with the lowest MVPG priority. But I really don't know.

In either case, I would be dubious about the possibility of clearing automatically and you might want to consider monitoring with EF. Of course, since A almost never opens, maybe it isn't worth the money for EF in this case.

Many thanks to the OP for making this a standalone thread.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:13 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, AA, BA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
If A opens before U and you are on the A waitlist, you should clear instantly.

If A opens simultaneous to U, I would guess that you would clear at the same time as the instant upgrades, probably with the lowest MVPG priority. But I really don't know.

In either case, I would be dubious about the possibility of clearing automatically and you might want to consider monitoring with EF. Of course, since A almost never opens, maybe it isn't worth the money for EF in this case.

Many thanks to the OP for making this a standalone thread.
That's my understanding as well, though the second part (bolding mine) is what I'm most curious about. Regardless, I'm monitoring with EF and have an alert set. Still, if the first scenario you describe occurs, I wouldn't get the notification since they would move me into the A space, eliminating it (ostensibly).
Old Apr 3, 2018, 9:21 am

I made a sortable table at https://cwsi.net/alaska.htm Also working on a miles calculator.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA1K, VXgold
Originally Posted by ComAirKid
I made a sortable table at https://cwsi.net/alaska.htm Also working on a miles calculator.
Awesome!
"W" should be listed as award in the web link version.

I presume when I search for award space using partner miles (e.g., using KrisFlyer miles for AS flight), I would need to look for W inventory. Can anyone confirm this? Any other classes work also?
brizone likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by artieb78
Awesome!

I presume when I search for award space using partner miles (e.g., using KrisFlyer miles for AS flight), I would need to look for W inventory. Can anyone confirm this? Any other classes work also?
Done, Thanks
Old Apr 3, 2018, 4:16 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Done, Thanks
"Economy" cabin name is misspelled. Otherwise looks great!
Old Apr 3, 2018, 8:15 pm

Done, thanks.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 100k
I forgot about this thread. I went and updated the OP finally to reflect Premium and fare class order. I think it makes a bit more sense now.

Looks good! Thanks for making that.

Originally Posted by artieb78
Awesome!

Correct, W is what AS partners generally see.

Originally Posted by jsguyrus
I thought this was super secret stuff that us normal folks could never see. Are you even allowed to share this information? Now that I have read it, do I need to worry about Federal Agents knocking at my door?
Old Apr 4, 2018, 2:30 pm
formerly ASTechGuy

If it's helpful, 'E' isn't a revenue class - it's used to allocated inventory for Employees (hence the 'E') traveling confirmed for personal/leisure trips.
ComAirKid, maradori and PABE like this.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 9:37 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Very nice sturges and ComAirKid! ^^
Old Apr 10, 2018, 8:27 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, DL Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Scottrick
Two suggestions:

(1) Sort the fares by upgrade hierarchy, i.e., so the award fares are interspersed with the revenue fares, since some awards will upgrade before inexpensive paid tickets.

(2) Add columns for Premium Class upgrade eligibility, not just first class.
How do I sort by upgrade hierarchy?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.