Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

How Do You Book Flights With AS That Show Phantom Availability?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How Do You Book Flights With AS That Show Phantom Availability?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2017, 5:50 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by greendx
I'm getting this error trying to book a flight on QF. Seeing availability for my flights via AA.com as well. Would both AS and AA be showing same phantom availability?

I've already called AS but was unable to get anywhere.

Do you see availability on QF?
Old Nov 5, 2017, 6:53 pm

Yes I can see award space on QF as well. Really frustrating not being able to use my AS miles.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 12:34 am

Yes I can see award space on QF as well. Really frustrating not being able to use my AS miles.
How many seats does QF show and how many are you looking for? What class? What is your routing, date of travel? Many have reported that AS is only able to see one less than what other websites see. Is it possible that what you see on QF is Phantom? I haven't booked international QF but have had no problem with domestic QF.
Have you checked ExpertFlyer?

Feel free to PM me if you like.

James
Old Nov 6, 2017, 7:19 am

F award. I don't know if QF shows phantom on their own metal, not familiar with their search engine. I am able to see 1 more seat than I am looking for on my desired route via AS, AA, and QF. I've checked and attempted to book multiple routes. Trying to book a simple 1 way TPAC segment.

While I've been able to book QF J via AS, I've never been able to book QF F via AS, always get the same error. The difference this time is that I am actually able to see the same award space via AA and QF while in the past I've only been able to see it via AS.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 8:04 am

F award. I don't know if QF shows phantom on their own metal, not familiar with their search engine. I am able to see 1 more seat than I am looking for on my desired route via AS, AA, and QF. I've checked and attempted to book multiple routes. Trying to book a simple 1 way TPAC segment.

While I've been able to book QF J via AS, I've never been able to book QF F via AS, always get the same error. The difference this time is that I am actually able to see the same award space via AA and QF while in the past I've only been able to see it via AS.
It is rare to see more than one F on QF. Have you tried BA? You didn't mention ExpertFlyer. How about calling AA to see if they can actually book it? We are doing a 7 week RTW in J&F on miles starting Jan 3rd, ie no interest in your flights. lol

I have offered a few general suggestions and now offering a few more. Without more details it will be hard to further assist. If you are comfortable providing more details I would be happy to investigate further.

Thanks,

James
Old Nov 6, 2017, 8:28 am

I don't believe that BA shows QF space. No access to EF. Not going to have time to call AA. I know how rare it is to see even 1 seat on QF F. There are 2 seats showing on SYD-DFW JUL 9th.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 9:12 am

I don't believe that BA shows QF space. No access to EF. Not going to have time to call AA. I know how rare it is to see even 1 seat on QF F. There are 2 seats showing on SYD-DFW JUL 9th.
ExpertFlyer is showing no availability for your date and +/- 3 days.

There is only Y on 9, 10, 11, 12. No PE, J, or F
Old Nov 6, 2017, 9:28 am

Hmm okay thanks for checking. Guess it's phantom all around.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 9:42 am

Programs: UA, AS
EF shows no QF availability on 7/9 except in economy. EF also shows no availability within 3 days on either side except in economy. QF does show availability so what I suspect is going on here is that the space AS is showing is the QF space they reserve for their own members but there is no partner space available.

In general QF partner space for First or Business seems to be very rare on this route. Complain to AS. If they show space and it is not bookable they have a bug that needs to be fixed. The best case outcome is that they get to book space shown by QF to its own members like they are showing as available. Do not expect AS IT to fix this anytime soon. They have not shown much competence in fixing bugs in a timely manner (EK).
Old Nov 6, 2017, 10:14 am

Sucks not being able to book QF F but not the end of the world. I guess it's good to know that EF is an accurate tool to confirm space.

I've mostly used AS miles for CX awards and that's been getting more difficult. Had an issue in July where I needed to return home from Japan immediately and was on AS award on CX 2 days later. Called to change to a JL flight leaving in a 7 hours and they didn't see space. Luckily I had enough AA miles to redeem for the same award and booked it minutes later.

AA is not perfect either, often times have to HUCA half a dozen times to get an agent to book a CX award.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 11:26 am

Sucks not being able to book QF F but not the end of the world. I guess it's good to know that EF is an accurate tool to confirm space.
It would be interesting to know if AS can book when EF shows space. I have seen EF show an occasional 1F on QF from the US but never two. I have seen 2 Biz but that is also very rare. Premium Economy has better availability.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
It would be interesting to know if AS can book when EF shows space. I have seen EF show an occasional 1F on QF from the US but never two. I have seen 2 Biz but that is also very rare. Premium Economy has better availability.
I was able to book JFK-LAX-MEL-BNE in J using AS miles including a stopover in MEL all online about 6 weeks ago.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 12:30 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
I had the same issue with HU last year when booking a trip for the wife and I - got all teh way to payment and it would error out. I waited 24 hrs and tried again, same issue. Waited another 24 hrs and it booked straight away.

Not sure what the issue was, but persistence and patience got the job done.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 6:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
QF F is there. Was able to book 4 seats this year.

However it's not available at T-330 like most carriers. It's a few months behind. Not sure why (and AFAIK this was not always the case).
Old Nov 6, 2017, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa
QF F is there. Was able to book 4 seats this year.
This was one seat on 4 different flights, not 4 seats on one flight, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.