Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

737-400 Combi Retirement Discussion [Consolidated Discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 7, 2017, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bmvaughn
Info in first post
Print Wikipost

737-400 Combi Retirement Discussion [Consolidated Discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2017, 12:03 pm

This was in the Fairbanks paper today:
http://www.newsminer.com/news/alaska...ign=user-share

Wonder which flight on the 18th it'll be?
Old Sep 25, 2017, 12:06 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by beaver
This was in the Fairbanks paper today:
http://www.newsminer.com/news/alaska...ign=user-share

Wonder which flight on the 18th it'll be?
Old Sep 25, 2017, 3:26 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
booked 3 pax on flight 61 sea-jnu and flight 66 jnu-sea.

somebody tell me why I just did that? We are huge AVGEEKS.

But read there are regular offensive odors from prior or current cargo loads (and weak stomach when around seafood or odors).

Can anyone on this forum share their experiences with this combi related to cabin smell? The paper linked above even warns about reindeer poop odor.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by expert7700

But read there are regular offensive odors from prior or current cargo loads (and weak stomach when around seafood or odors).

Can anyone on this forum share their experiences with this combi related to cabin smell? The paper linked above even warns about reindeer poop odor.
I think that was a highly unusual circumstance not typical of most Combi flights. Unless you are worried about potential B.O. from fellow passengers...
tod701 likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 6:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Haven't noticed a special combi odor...
Old Sep 25, 2017, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa
Haven't noticed a special combi odor...
Me neither. It was far more fun on the old -200s when the wall would jiggle around.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 9:39 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan MVP 75K
I grew up flying on the combis and I've never noticed any odors
Old Sep 26, 2017, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K

uh, methinks you answered your own question
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:18 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100K, Avis Presidents Club, Life Member VFW Post 10029
Flew ANC-OTZ yesterday morning on AS 157 (N765AS Combi). OTZ is my work home. Pushed back, started engines, taxied to the runway, after getting to the runway we turn off and go back to the gate. After we get to the gate the captain announces that they are having issues with the fuel gauge. Fast forward an 1hour or so, the captain says we are good, need to top off but we will have an extra passenger with us, the mechanic as they don't want to get to Kotzebue and break down again. I know they fly mechanics to some remote destinations in Alaska and I have seen AS planes broken in OTZ for days on end till they can fix it. FA stated that this plane has gone mechanical several times in the last few days. (I didn't look to see) but I know her as I fly this route 2x a month. I've been on combi's for 7 years, always makes for an interesting flight.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 5:44 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Alaska Air Cargo introduces world's first converted 737-700 freighter

From email just received

Alaska Air Cargo today began a new chapter in its business, introducing the first converted Boeing 737-700 cargo aircraft. The aircraft is the first of its kind in the world and was converted from an all-passenger to an all-freight aircraft. The aircraft is entering commercial service today, carrying goods from Seattle to the state of Alaska.

"This one-of-a-kind aircraft marks the beginning of a new era at Alaska Airlines," said Wayne Newton, Alaska Airlines vice president of airport operations and customer service. "With an all-freight fleet, our cargo business is now a stand-alone operation, allowing us to better focus on the needs of our cargo customers."

The aircraft was converted over 19 months in Tel Aviv by Israel Aerospace Industries. Alaska pilots flew the converted plane from Tel Aviv to Belfast, Ireland on Sept. 6. From there, the plane touched down on U.S. soil in Bangor, Maine and continued on to Greensboro, North Carolina, for scheduled maintenance. The aircraft was painted in Victorville, California before arriving in Seattle.

Alaska will take delivery of two more converted 737-700 freighters, allowing the new, all-cargo fleet to carry 15 percent more capacity overall. Currently, Alaska operates one 737-400 freighter and four 737-400 combi aircraft, which carry both passengers and cargo. Alaska plans to retire its entire 737-400 combi fleet by Oct. 18.

"The new freighter will transform our cargo business and allow us to provide more efficient and consistent service," said Jason Berry, Alaska Air Cargo managing director. "Now we can move more freight than ever before, and optimize schedules to meet the needs of our cargo partners."

State of Alaska

Initially, the new fleet of all-freight aircraft will primarily serve the state of Alaska, and provide regular, scheduled service to 17 communities across the state. Independent of Alaska Airlines' passenger operation, Alaska Air Cargo will provide more scheduled freight service than any other carrier in the state, and connect customers to 100 destinations across the airline's route network.

Freighter facts

Nonstop range of 3,200 miles
Maximum net payload of 42,000 pounds
Though smaller in size, the 737-700 freighter can carry 10,000 more pounds of cargo per plane compared to Alaska's current 737-400 freighter.

The registered tail number for Alaska's converted freighter is N627AS; aircraft N626AS and N625AS are currently undergoing the conversion process in Tel Aviv.

Editor's note: An image of the converted 737-700 freighter is available for download at www.alaskaair.com/newsroom.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by dave1013
From email just received

The aircraft is entering commercial service today, carrying goods from Seattle to the state of Alaska.
Believe this is the "first" flight? http://flightaware.com/live/flight/A...000Z/KSEA/PAKT
Old Sep 28, 2017, 1:04 am

Programs: Alaska 100K, Hyatt Gl, Marriott Ti/LTP
Booked the husband and myself on 10/18 Flight 66 ANC-CDV-YAK-JNU-SEA. Should be a fun time. Hope it sticks as the final flight. See y'all there!
Old Sep 28, 2017, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
With all this talk of 737-400 retirement, does anyone here happen to know when Alaska plans to retire its last 737-400? We're not talking Combi now but rather full passenger configured aircraft. The last one I can find (so far) at Alaskaair.com is AS 64 on November 4th.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 7:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
With all this talk of 737-400 retirement, does anyone here happen to know when Alaska plans to retire its last 737-400? We're not talking Combi now but rather full passenger configured aircraft. The last one I can find (so far) at Alaskaair.com is AS 64 on November 4th.
This year. Although the freighter may make it into early 2018.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 12:09 am

Programs: MP, BR

Just flew on one last week and didn't notice any odor. Now I can say I'm one of the last people to fly on the Combis

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.