FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Alaska nears $2B bid for Virgin America (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1757016-alaska-nears-2b-bid-virgin-america.html)

SJC ORD LDR Apr 3, 2016 11:10 am

Originally Posted by dayone (Post 26428074)
VX's load factors increased when it moved from DFW to DAL. How is competing against WN at DAL less desirable than competing against AA's 7 BOS flights at DFW?

B6 could increase service to BOS, add JFK and sublease gate space to DL.

VX might have had better load factors, but that doesn't make for a profitable flight. As for what might happen to the DAL gates, who knows. Maybe they are better off selling them to DL (or another carrier) for top dollar and keeping their Metroplex operation at DFW.

Eastbay1K Apr 3, 2016 11:40 am

Originally Posted by AndyPatterson (Post 26429536)
It would be interesting to see if AS could sustain a two-tier first class airline, with some routes (transcons) getting the VX planes with their fancy seats, and all other routes getting stuck with regular AS first. Some other airlines have done this with their JFK-LAX/SFO routes -- can AS make it work on the DCA-SEA/PDX/LAX routes?

Do not forget that AS is upping its F game soon with a seat / pitch much better than the current one but not as good as the VX seat. The 2 products won't be as far off as they currently are.

airplanegod Apr 3, 2016 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by MVF Trekker (Post 26428118)

B6 and AS are different type of airlines and not compatible IMO. B6 is a low cost airline such as NK and WN. AS is not. B6 and WN would make a better match.

AS and VX are different types of airlines as well, yet everyone seems to think this merger is actually going to happen.

I hope if this does happen AS has the decency to IMMEDIATELY remove the "Proudly all Boeing" decals and change their name and logo to "Virgin America".

Eastbay1K Apr 3, 2016 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by airplanegod (Post 26430035)
AS and VX are different types of airlines as well, yet everyone seems to think this merger is actually going to happen.

I hope if this does happen AS has the decency to IMMEDIATELY remove the "Proudly all Boeing" decals and change their name and logo to "Virgin America".

You are correct. This all remains spekalashens and rumers. I doubt that if I sent Brad an email and promised "it will just stay between you and me so you can tell me" that he would answer.

As for Proudly All Boeing decals, well, just because one is a part of the AAG doesn't mean it is Alaska Airlines, even if the Alaska name appears on the aircraft. :p

dayone Apr 3, 2016 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR (Post 26429760)
VX might have had better load factors, but that doesn't make for a profitable flight. As for what might happen to the DAL gates, who knows. Maybe they are better off selling them to DL (or another carrier) for top dollar and keeping their Metroplex operation at DFW.

Has, not "might have had." AS was not profitable at DFW. Can you cite a source that it is not profitable at DAL?

The DAL gates, if shed, may find their way back to the city.

CDKing Apr 3, 2016 1:52 pm

Wow lots of bitter people on the AS forum all of a sudden. Maybe its better off if VX just declares bankruptcy and every one loses their jobs. What is it with Branson and failing airlines these days? He has sure needed a few bailouts recently.

eponymous_coward Apr 3, 2016 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by dayone (Post 26430143)
Has, not "might have had." AS was not profitable at DFW. Can you cite a source that it is not profitable at DAL?

The DAL gates, if shed, may find their way back to the city.

They almost certainly would. Don't see why AS wouldn't consider moving to DAL. They fly in 4-5 flights a day to DFW, that's not really maximizing the use of one gate. I would think they could fit that kind of operation in at DAL along with the existing VX operation.

CDKing Apr 3, 2016 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by jiburi (Post 26418019)
While I hope AS is successful being the winner, VX isn't decided on their decision to sell. The company isn't broken and is still making a profit.

They have rarely made a profit and as soon as the price of fuel goes up, the airline would go belly up. That or AS will buy and dismantle it. Either path will lead to the same destination.

SJC ORD LDR Apr 3, 2016 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward (Post 26430487)
They almost certainly would. Don't see why AS wouldn't consider moving to DAL. They fly in 4-5 flights a day to DFW, that's not really maximizing the use of one gate. I would think they could fit that kind of operation in at DAL along with the existing VX operation.

I really don't see them moving out of DFW, the biggest hub of their closest partner for DAL. But, we'll see what happens.

Edgerfly Apr 3, 2016 3:06 pm

Who else is dumping all their stock money into Alaska come open Monday?

JPat Apr 3, 2016 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Edgerfly (Post 26430767)
Who else is dumping all their stock money into Alaska come open Monday?

Yikes! The WSJ is now reporting that the bidding has pushed the purchase price up to apps $2.5B. That's an enormous premium to the MV of VX earlier in the week....

SJC ORD LDR Apr 3, 2016 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by JPat (Post 26430807)
Yikes! The WSJ is now reporting that the bidding has pushed the purchase price up to apps $2.5B. That's an enormous premium to the MV of VX earlier in the week....

That's crazy. Is VX really worth that much?

BearX220 Apr 3, 2016 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR (Post 26430919)
That's crazy. Is VX really worth that much?

The real question now is, is keeping JetBlue at bay on the west coast worth that much? For AS the answer is yes. They're buying more than VX. They're buying critical national mass and long-term survival.

airplanegod Apr 3, 2016 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing (Post 26430465)
Wow lots of bitter people on the AS forum all of a sudden. Maybe its better off if VX just declares bankruptcy and every one loses their jobs. What is it with Branson and failing airlines these days? He has sure needed a few bailouts recently.

AS should've been shut down after the crash of Alaska 261 but that's for another thread...

airplanegod Apr 3, 2016 4:21 pm

This would also be a case where I would support a hostile Delta takeover of AS.