Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What Year Does a Late-Night NYE Flight Credit To?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What Year Does a Late-Night NYE Flight Credit To?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2018, 6:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by soartoday
Old thread, but wondering if anyone has more recent experience or data points for AS.

Looking at a red-eye flight that departs Anchorage 11:55PM on December 31, 2018. Will it credit to 2018 based on scheduled departure time in local time zone (even though it will be 2019 already in PST?
A SDC *should* work in this case as the flight is past 10 PM... but two issues: Flights to/from ANC are *full* around the holidays. So there may not be space on a later flight. Second, this is in late December. I would not be surprised to see another schedule change

Best of luck.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 6:12 pm

Programs: AS Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Starriott LTPP
Originally Posted by beckoa
A SDC *should* work in this case as the flight is past 10 PM... but two issues: Flights to/from ANC are *full* around the holidays. So there may not be space on a later flight. Second, this is in late December. I would not be surprised to see another schedule change

Best of luck.
Thanks for the responses! I'm actually trying to make sure that the flight *does* credit to the current/prior year, even though it lands in 2019. Hopefully no SDC needed!
Old Nov 9, 2018, 7:26 am

There is no harm in contacting AS. However, as far as I know, that would be of no avail.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: Alaska 100k
It is based on time zone of departure. I've taken the KOA-SEA redeye and it posts on the date you departed Hawaii.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Given that you want the miles to post in 2018 you could try emailing customer service asking if they would please confirm that the miles will post based on the planned departure time, regardless of any delay.

Then, for what its worth, you at least have confirmation of their policy in writing if something goes wrong.

In 2016 I hit MVPG based on a new years eve flight home (early in the day) and it will take a few days for the status to post so there will be a gap in your status. For me it meant i dropped down to MVP for a couple days, but that didn't impact any of my existing bookings/seats.

One nice benefit was my GGU codes posted in Jan 2017 with an expiration of Dec 2018 since they're good through the end of the next year. Given how hard it can be to find GGU space, it was nice having a two year window
Old Dec 4, 2021, 2:39 pm

In the air at Midnight - Do EQM count for Dec 31 or Jan 1?

Apologies in advance; I did a search and couldn't find the answer.

I'm looking at a flight that leaves Hawaii early evening of December 31 and lands early morning of January 1 (12:30am PST). Anyone know if those EQM will count towards 2021 or 2022 for elite qualification?
Old Dec 4, 2021, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
Apologies in advance; I did a search and couldn't find the answer.

I'm looking at a flight that leaves Hawaii early evening of December 31 and lands early morning of January 1 (12:30am PST). Anyone know if those EQM will count towards 2021 or 2022 for elite qualification?
Your departure date and time is determinative; doesn’t matter what date you land.
Post 13 of this thread is still correct.
FlyerDigits likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 10:00 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Your departure date and time is determinative; doesn’t matter what date you land.
Post 13 of this thread is still correct.
Anyone know if this is local time of flight departure? Or, time the airline generally operates under for sales, cutoff dates, etc.??
Old Dec 4, 2021, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by mtofell
Anyone know if this is local time of flight departure? Or, time the airline generally operates under for sales, cutoff dates, etc.??
The time of departure from the airport that you are departing; not the time in some other city or somewhere else where you are not departing from.
mtofell likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2022, 12:26 am

Status qualification NYE flight

I’m taking a Cathay pacific flight that leaves HKG Jan 1 2023 but arrives in US Dec 31 2022… If the flight counts toward my 2022 Alaska elite status, I’ll hit MVP Gold 100 status. Unfortunately, my dates aren’t flexible. Does alaska use departure time or arrival time to determine elite eligibility? I’d assume departure time, but given the weird time zone issues I’m wondering what they’ll do in my case.
Old Nov 26, 2022, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
what’s to wonder about?

as mentioned at least once upthread, the time and date *AT THE POINT OF ORIGIN* govern

this flight will *NOT* credit to 2022 since it *DEPARTS HKG* on 1 Jan 2023
Old Nov 26, 2022, 8:45 pm

Well I was wondering because my example isn’t exactly the same as any of the examples above: I land in the US in 2022. I don’t think any of the examples above involve traveling back to the previous year and landing in the previous year. I’d have thought there’d be a common sense exemption for a case like this but sounds like not.
Old Nov 26, 2022, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
departure time governs

period. dot. end of story.
anteater likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2022, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
departure time governs
period. dot. end of story.
And generally means scheduled departure and not actual departure, which could be after midnight (at least in the ffp's I have looked at)
Old Nov 27, 2022, 3:29 pm

It’s definitely based on scheduled departure, having had this happen on a delayed SEA-LAX 31DEC flight a few years back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.