FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Status Matched, do I get points bonus? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1622132-status-matched-do-i-get-points-bonus.html)

Raybdbomb Oct 20, 2014 5:33 pm

Status Matched, do I get points bonus?

I just got a Gold 75k status match from my Southwest A+ CP, and I've seen a few pieces of paper so far that say when you get Gold 75k, you get a 50k point bonus.

I didn't get this bonus, is it something I can request, or is it out of the question?

slopeboy40 Oct 20, 2014 5:59 pm

Are you sure that it's Gold 75K and not just Gold? You would be the first I ever heard of getting matched to 75k.

I stand corrected, I see they are now matching to 75K. That sucks.

PDXPremier Oct 20, 2014 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by slopeboy40 (Post 23708055)
Are you sure that it's Gold 75K and not just Gold? You would be the first I ever heard of getting matched to 75k.

I stand corrected, I see they are now matching to 75K. That sucks.

+1....wow, definitely the first person I've ever seen status matched to 75K

ken98230 Oct 20, 2014 6:12 pm

There have been a few reports of 75K status matches in the status match thread. No bonus points so far though.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...tus-match.html

United757 Oct 20, 2014 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by Raybdbomb (Post 23707965)
I just got a Gold 75k status match from my Southwest A+ CP, and I've seen a few pieces of paper so far that say when you get Gold 75k, you get a 50k point bonus.

I didn't get this bonus, is it something I can request, or is it out of the question?

Absolutely unreasonable and out of the question, IMO.

CDKing Oct 20, 2014 8:09 pm

No and Thank god.

beckoa Oct 20, 2014 8:29 pm

Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Really? Its bad enough AS is status matching to 75K...but bonus points?

I urge everyone who got 75K to write to AS in regard to reducing the benefits of this so called 'elusive tier'.

CDKing Oct 20, 2014 8:41 pm

Now if only AS would stop giving away MVPG Upgrade coupons to status matchers and add a challenge requirement. These straight matches need to go. No one else does straight matches these days,

Please tell me OP that you didn't match so you can get a free trip on AS dime? The bonus is for putting your butt in seat

ctporter Oct 20, 2014 9:07 pm

Put me in the category of Shocked and not happy about hearing that someone can be status matched at the 75k tier let alone get the bonus without a single mile flown on AS :td:

eponymous_coward Oct 20, 2014 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by ctporter (Post 23708751)
Put me in the category of Shocked and not happy about hearing that someone can be status matched at the 75k tier let alone get the bonus without a single mile flown on AS :td:

And every UA FTer on the planet immediately cashes in for 50K towards an EK/CX F ticket. ;)

(Hey, they know how to work the system from before the CO merger: "My reading light's broken! $500 voucher, please!")

It's bad enough that I suspect we'll see people do these strictly so they can MVPG upgrade that Hawaii trip they're going to take out of SJC/SAN/SEA/SMF/OAK with their spouse... and not fly on AS at all other than that one trip. Oh, well.

redtigeriii Oct 20, 2014 10:52 pm

Well, this really makes me question my decision to go after Alaska status the "old fashioned way" rather than doing a status challenge through US Air. Had I known they'd match up to 75k and give out upgrade certificates as well, I probably would of gone that route instead. Sigh. That'd be even more infuriating if they give out 50k bonus miles on top of all that.

MagicCarpetRider Oct 20, 2014 11:07 pm

Nobody receives bonus points on a Status Match.

duvaljd Oct 20, 2014 11:59 pm

I think the worst part is the match from Southwest. I'm fine with the match if it guarantees him the exit row 17F on the 700's and nothing else same as Southwest. Moving up not so much should have to earn it.

If Alaska does give him the 50k(hope not) why not throw in some companion certs for making the switch, don't want him to have to go backwards.

Congrats, but do remember Alaska is starting to board like Southwest so get to the gate early so you get in your seat and hopefully get your bags(4) up early. Never mind you will be the person standing at the gate 1 hour before at the front remembering that A1 pick, just remember don't take the first available. You have to be assigned the seat. Who cares though everybody switches everybody these days.

Raybdbomb Oct 21, 2014 1:06 am

Originally Posted by CDKing (Post 23708654)
Now if only AS would stop giving away MVPG Upgrade coupons to status matchers and add a challenge requirement. These straight matches need to go. No one else does straight matches these days,

Please tell me OP that you didn't match so you can get a free trip on AS dime? The bonus is for putting your butt in seat

No, not just for a free trip -- I'm a 50+ segment/year traveler. Considering switching from southwest to alaska out of PDX.

But I wouldn't refuse 50k bonus points...

slopeboy40 Oct 21, 2014 2:14 am

I don't dare tell my 75K wife about this, she'd be furious.