FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Paid Upgrade - now available for all fares (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1375375-paid-upgrade-now-available-all-fares.html)

OverThereTooMuch Aug 9, 2012 9:26 am

Paid Upgrade - now available for all fares

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/tra...tClassUpgrades

Announced in the e-statement today:

We're making it easier for you to upgrade to First Class. Paid Upgrades, starting as low as $50, may be available for customers beginning at 24 hours before departure. If space is available, you can upgrade to First Class when you check in through the Web, at the Kiosk or at an airport ticket counter. Paid upgrades will now be available on all fares including award tickets.

baliktad Aug 9, 2012 9:41 am

Hmm. Not sure if I like this one. It's hard to begrudge AS money by saying they should restrict paid upgrades from people who are willing to pay money, but this seems like a cheap shot.

Because elites should all be upgraded anyway at this point, the biggest impact to elites is limiting the same-day change options. Now all customers have a shot at a U seat starting at T-24, but I can only switch to a new flight starting at midnight.

Edit: AS lists W (coach award tickets) as eligible for paid upgrades:

Paid Upgrades are subject to availability, do not include stopovers, and exclude industry discounts. Prices are based on one-way trip miles, as shown above, unless otherwise noted. The link to upgrade to First Class during Web Check-In will only appear if First Class seats are still available for purchase. Fare categories are booked in Y, YAS, S, B, M, H Q, L, V, K, G, T, and W classes of service.

CDKing Aug 9, 2012 10:25 am

I guess this explains why all of a sudden AS fixed the OLCI upgrade loopole so quick? Will the TOD upgrade be offered ahead of Elite upgrades ala United? or after all elites are upgraded?

If award tickets can now be upgraded, why cant award tickets be eligible for complimentary MVP upgrade?

steadyASshegoes Aug 9, 2012 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by baliktad (Post 19089127)
Hmm. Not sure if I like this one. It's hard to begrudge AS money by saying they should restrict paid upgrades from people who are willing to pay money, but this seems like a cheap shot.

Because elites should all be upgraded anyway at this point, the biggest impact to elites is limiting the same-day change options. Now all customers have a shot at a U seat starting at T-24, but I can only switch to a new flight starting at midnight.

Edit: AS lists W (coach award tickets) as eligible for paid upgrades:

I agree. Why not simply make all fare classes eligible at the gate? At T-24 it's going to result in fewer SDC first class seats for elites. I really hate having to make the choice between a first class seat and an earlier flight in coach. At the very least, bring back SDC at T-24 for elites, to allow us to counter-act this change (and they can sell the FC seat we vacate, to lessen the revenue impact). That would also lessen the problem with DL elites upgrading before SDCing Alaska elites.

I'm afraid this is the first step in adopting a United-style upgrade system, which would be a troubling development indeed.

beckoa Aug 9, 2012 12:34 pm

Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.0.583 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by CDKing
I guess this explains why all of a sudden AS fixed the OLCI upgrade loopole so quick? Will the TOD upgrade be offered ahead of Elite upgrades ala United? or after all elites are upgraded?

If award tickets can now be upgraded, why cant award tickets be eligible for complimentary upgrade?

I don't know but I'm a bit scared by this move :(

Will even U space be required?

And upgrades on award tickets for elite shouldn't cost $$$...

Seattlenerd Aug 9, 2012 12:43 pm

New U fare display

Worth noting that AS has also simultaneously announced a change to the fare display to show various types of upgrades that will be rolled out this month:

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/abo...::new-features

alphaeagle Aug 9, 2012 2:04 pm

With this change I would hope they do two things for elites:

-Extend the SDC to 24 hours before the flight.
-Allow complimentary upgrades on award tickets, a lower priority would be fine.

Really hope that "U" space is still required for these buy-ups, or it will cut down on gate upgrades.

ANC Aug 9, 2012 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Seattlenerd (Post 19090488)
Worth noting that AS has also simultaneously announced a change to the fare display to show various types of upgrades that will be rolled out this month:

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/abo...::new-features

wonder if they in the proccess have managed to fix the glitch of 2 MVPs flying together in which if there are 2 U seats open you both should upgrade, not get some error message that only gold can upgrade a companion or whatever it usually says. I sure as heck hope so.

ANC Aug 9, 2012 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing (Post 19089441)
If award tickets can now be upgraded, why cant award tickets be eligible for complimentary MVP upgrade?

start directing these types of things to the head bean counter @:-) All things degradation of AS seem to point to one person @:-) All was calm in the hen house until someone came along and wanted to ruffle up the feathers, stick out their chest, and make a name for themselves. Theyve succeeded at making their name known to me.....and I dont spell it quite like he does. At this point I wouldnt care if DL tried to do a hostile takeover. Id have no objections. Ive used others this year more than AS for the first time in a long time and if I dont make even MVP again this year then so be it. I havent used AS since March

pdxasflyer Aug 9, 2012 5:12 pm

So what happens when Rev Mgmnt doesn't release U space until T-24 (or after)? Is the upgrade list full of elites carried forward - and applied - prior to making paid upgrades available everyone?

Given my experience and the number of AS elites these days, I can recall few flights where there were even F seats left for paid upgrades.

CDKing Aug 9, 2012 5:15 pm

I received the following on my facebook complaint:

I spoke with Rick Rasmussen (Director Loyalty Marketing) this morning about your first post... We have a very clear policy that we do not sell paid upgrades to anyone if there is an MVP, MVP Gold or MVP Gold 75k traveling on a paid ticket waiting for a First Class upgrade. We upgrade all elite customers on revenue tickets before we will sell any paid upgrades.

Seattlenerd Aug 9, 2012 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing (Post 19092178)

I spoke with Rick Rasmussen (Director Loyalty Marketing) this morning about your first post... We have a very clear policy that we do not sell paid upgrades to anyone if there is an MVP, MVP Gold or MVP Gold 75k traveling on a paid ticket waiting for a First Class upgrade. We upgrade all elite customers on revenue tickets before we will sell any paid upgrades.

^^^

That's quite definitive. And Rick is the one who should know.

pdxasflyer Aug 9, 2012 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing (Post 19092178)

^Indeed. Since U space is required for the above, then hence U space would have to be required for paid upgrades.

So, other than making Award ticket upgrades for elites complimentary and moving up SDC to T-24, what is the big deal on this one? Are those the only two issues folks see with this?:confused:

missydarlin Aug 9, 2012 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by pdxasflyer (Post 19092265)
^Indeed. Since U space is required for the above, then hence U space would have to be required for paid upgrades.

So, other than making Award ticket upgrades for elites complimentary and moving up SDC to T-24, what is the big deal on this one? Are those the only two issues folks see with this?:confused:

It really isn't a big deal. Paid upgrades used to be available for any fare at the time of check in... but in an attempt to stem the flow up queue jumping, they put the H and above requirement on it (until the gate) to give the elites a better chance and getting their upgrades.

Now that the loophole has been closed, and the upgrade processor runs til much closer to departure, there is no reason to have the H+ restriction anymore.

hgdf Aug 9, 2012 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by steadyASshegoes (Post 19090314)
I agree. Why not simply make all fare classes eligible at the gate? At T-24 it's going to result in fewer SDC first class seats for elites.

If I understand correctly, all that's required for SDC is F inventory.