Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Changing flight and paid upgrade...can I avoid the $25 change fee?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2012, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Platinum

My son without status was flying home and had to change his flight. He was charged $25 to change his flight.
He asked me to check him in to get him a seat, and I was offered a paid upgrade for $50, which was a no-brainer as he was checking bags.
My question is should he have been able to change flight and upgrade to avoid the change fee? In the past, when I have to make a change (prior to departure day), I've been able to avoid change fees by upgrading to First class.
I realize this is a different scenario, but I wanted to find out if it's worth a call to customer care?
Old Jul 29, 2012, 9:45 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
The paid upgrade you were offered was specific to a particular flight, and is not a way to avoid a past or future change fee. Even after upgrading, a flight change would still incur a $25 same-day change fee, since upgrading to first does not make your ticket flexible or exempt you from change fees.

You've paid the right amount in this situation and no refund is necessary. I would be glad that AS has such flexible policies and reasonable fees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.