FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Alaska Airlines Canadian MasterCard (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1342349-alaska-airlines-canadian-mastercard.html)

bajacondo Sep 8, 2012 8:51 am

RBC has Westjet MC. Can't see them taking Alaska MC on as well.

robsaw Sep 9, 2012 12:08 am

Originally Posted by bajacondo (Post 19276752)
RBC has Westjet MC. Can't see them taking Alaska MC on as well.

Why not? RBC VISA have BA and Cathay Pacific and Avion cards can transfer to AA.

bajacondo Sep 9, 2012 8:50 am

Well, hopefully RBC will take on Alaska MC. Then I'll get another card.

Toronto1970 Sep 19, 2012 3:28 pm

I just got off the phone with the MBNA fraud department. (My card was part of a potential merchant leak, so they wanted to issue me a new number. I told them just to cancel the account since I haven't used it since they took the on-line access away).

Take this news for what it's worth, since I doubt call centre staff is privy to much confidential information, but he said that he had heard that the Alaska account was sold to RBC at the same time as the Shoppers business. So fingers crossed that RBC will indeed come out with a new and improved card soon.

dwman90 Sep 19, 2012 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by Toronto1970 (Post 19346392)
I just got off the phone with the MBNA fraud department. (My card was part of a potential merchant leak, so they wanted to issue me a new number. I told them just to cancel the account since I haven't used it since they took the on-line access away).

Take this news for what it's worth, since I don't doubt call centre staff is privy to much confidential information, but he said that he had heard that the Alaska account was sold to RBC at the same time as the Shoppers business. So fingers crossed that RBC will indeed come out with a new and improved card soon.

I know it may or may not be true, but I cannot contain my excitement right now. :D

yerffej201 Sep 20, 2012 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Toronto1970 (Post 19346392)

Take this news for what it's worth, since I doubt call centre staff is privy to much confidential information, but he said that he had heard that the Alaska account was sold to RBC at the same time as the Shoppers business. So fingers crossed that RBC will indeed come out with a new and improved card soon.

Wait, I thought the AS was sold to TD. That was in a letter I got a few months ago.
They're with RBC now? Wow, way to monopolize. :td:

bajacondo Sep 20, 2012 12:33 pm

Just spoke to RBC Card Services and the agent was not aware of any purchase of the Alaska Mastercard.. I also thought TD was involved in the sale of MBNA cards I guess time will tell:confused:

Toronto1970 Sep 20, 2012 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by yerffej201 (Post 19352205)
Wait, I thought the AS was sold to TD. That was in a letter I got a few months ago.
They're with RBC now? Wow, way to monopolize. :td:

TD bought MBNA, but a few cards (such as Alaska and Shoppers) didn't go with the deal.

Before everyone gets TOO excited, remember that I was just repeating what one call centre person said he had heard. So it's hearsay of hearsay (no matter how much I'm hoping it's true!)

bajacondo Sep 20, 2012 7:39 pm

Shoppers is now with RBC.

mplflyer Sep 22, 2012 2:52 pm

Orphan child of mastercard

I was actually going to call and cancel this card yesterday as it was time for renewal. I decided to check the charges on the auto system on the phone first, and unfortunately there is a $900 charge from an agency in London I used in August which is either an error or needs to be disputed. I called the agency in London, but it was already the weekend there so I can't find out anything until Monday. Obviously I can't cancel the card now, and my $75 fee has also just posted :(. I waited on hold 20 minutes to speak to a person at MasterCard about the charge, and they can't even tell me how much it was in GBP until my next statement, and if I can't get it sorted out with the agency in London, I have to wait until my next statement to start a dispute process:mad:

I am becoming really concerned as to the level of service I will receive from MC if I do need to dispute the charge. I don't recall ever having a 20 minute hold with a credit card company before. I also anticipate problems getting my annual fee refunded when I do cancel the card.

I get the feeling this AS MasterCard is the unwanted child of both AS and MasterCard. AS has the card buried so deep on their website, they obviously don't care to promote it anymore. I'm worried this card company won't go to bat for me in this dispute. I hope I'm wrong.

yerffej201 Sep 22, 2012 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by mplflyer (Post 19365451)
I was actually going to call and cancel this card yesterday as it was time for renewal. I decided to check the charges on the auto system on the phone first, and unfortunately there is a $900 charge from an agency in London I used in August which is either an error or needs to be disputed. I called the agency in London, but it was already the weekend there so I can't find out anything until Monday. Obviously I can't cancel the card now, and my $75 fee has also just posted :(. I waited on hold 20 minutes to speak to a person at MasterCard about the charge, and they can't even tell me how much it was in GBP until my next statement, and if I can't get it sorted out with the agency in London, I have to wait until my next statement to start a dispute process:mad:

I am becoming really concerned as to the level of service I will receive from MC if I do need to dispute the charge. I don't recall ever having a 20 minute hold with a credit card company before. I also anticipate problems getting my annual fee refunded when I do cancel the card.

I get the feeling this AS MasterCard is the unwanted child of both AS and MasterCard. AS has the card buried so deep on their website, they obviously don't care to promote it anymore. I'm worried this card company won't go to bat for me in this dispute. I hope I'm wrong.

Ya, it's really a mess. It's a decent MC, for the few places that don't take Visa/Amex (which are relatively non-existent) but there is the rare case.
And the companion cert is still sorta worth something.

braffy Sep 24, 2012 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by yerffej201 (Post 19367214)
And the companion cert is still sorta worth something.

Not to mention the 25K sign-up bonus, and the 2x BR passes. And the card is quite churnable... in fact no need to cancel your previous card since they will allow you to hold more than one card simultaneously (each with its own companion cert and sign-up bonus).

Main drawback compared to the US version of the card (besides the already discussed 'orphan' status and lack of online access) is the higher annual fee which is not waived for the first year.

yerffej201 Sep 25, 2012 12:09 am

Originally Posted by braffy (Post 19379056)
Not to mention the 25K sign-up bonus, and the 2x BR passes. And the card is quite churnable... in fact no need to cancel your previous card since they will allow you to hold more than one card simultaneously (each with its own companion cert and sign-up bonus).

Main drawback compared to the US version of the card (besides the already discussed 'orphan' status and lack of online access) is the higher annual fee which is not waived for the first year.

You can have 2 cards at once? Did not know that.

braffy Sep 25, 2012 8:18 am

Originally Posted by yerffej201 (Post 19379257)
You can have 2 cards at once? Did not know that.

Me neither. I happened to be talking with a CSR about a balance transfer promotion and said it wouldn't work for me since I also use the card for regular spending. He said, why not get a second account, and use one for the balance transfer and one for spending. I was surprised, but he assured me that he's seen it a number of times before, and that there was no restriction against this. So I gave it a shot (mostly for the 25K points bonus and companion cert, both of which are quite useful for me). I applied, had to call reconsideration only because my original card was already at $25K CL and that's the max total they will extend for any one individual. I agreed to reduce the CL on my original card to $20K, they immediately approved the second card for $5K and all the bennies posted without a hitch.

yerffej201 Sep 25, 2012 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by braffy (Post 19380723)
Me neither. I happened to be talking with a CSR about a balance transfer promotion and said it wouldn't work for me since I also use the card for regular spending. He said, why not get a second account, and use one for the balance transfer and one for spending. I was surprised, but he assured me that he's seen it a number of times before, and that there was no restriction against this. So I gave it a shot (mostly for the 25K points bonus and companion cert, both of which are quite useful for me). I applied, had to call reconsideration only because my original card was already at $25K CL and that's the max total they will extend for any one individual. I agreed to reduce the CL on my original card to $20K, they immediately approved the second card for $5K and all the bennies posted without a hitch.

So you need to talk to an agent. Can't just apply online?
Was thinking to add to churn if so.