FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Alaska Airlines Canadian MasterCard (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1342349-alaska-airlines-canadian-mastercard.html)

robsaw Feb 8, 2013 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface (Post 20154037)
As I said there, it's a bargain at $0 even with the reductions in online access and comp. cert.

It is back to $75 fee now at the on-line application.

CrownRoyalForever Feb 10, 2013 1:33 am

Originally Posted by AMRivlin (Post 19796002)
I am US Citizen living in Canada with a valid SIN/credit report.

I will alternate years with each card, on off, paying 1 annual fee for 25-30k per year. I guess that is my definition of reverse churning.

Do you keep your Mileage Plan address in the U.S. or do you change it each year to match the CC applications?

Cheers

reggie108 Feb 12, 2013 1:58 pm

i applied for this card, with the "no annual fee" application on Jan 29 2013, i received the card today (feb 12), read through the pamphlet and it said the annual fee is $75.

Activated the card and called customer service to confirm, agent was adamant that the card fee was $75. I have the print out from my Jan 29 2013 application which states "no annual fee"

Agent did not budge, i told him to cancel the card, which he complied with.

not impressed.

Finkface Feb 12, 2013 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by reggie108 (Post 20233949)
i applied for this card, with the "no annual fee" application on Jan 29 2013, i received the card today (feb 12), read through the pamphlet and it said the annual fee is $75.

Activated the card and called customer service to confirm, agent was adamant that the card fee was $75. I have the print out from my Jan 29 2013 application which states "no annual fee"

Agent did not budge, i told him to cancel the card, which he complied with.

not impressed.

I did exactly the same. Card arrived today - $75 fee. I told them, as you did, that I had screen shots. The agent told me to fax them in and they would look at it but would likely not waive the $75 fee as 'the value you receive from all the bonuses is worth more than $75'. Just faxed in my copies as well as a transcript of an online chat with someone about this same subject who confirmed he also saw the $0 annual fee. Will follow up tomorrow. I see the companion cert and the bonus miles are already in the AS account. I wonder what will happen there? Have they pulled yours back, Reggie108?

reggie108 Feb 12, 2013 10:28 pm

[QUOTE=Finkface;20234568Have they pulled yours back, Reggie108?[/QUOTE]

When i requested to cancel, the agent asked me if i used the companion cert yet, i replied no. He placed me on hold for about 2 mins to complete the cancellation.

I logged into my mileage plan account and as of right now the cert is still there, along with the 2 entries (feb 1)for the bonus points of 10k and 15k. I would assume that the agent is aware of these and will claw them back. He might have already clawed them back, but the system is slow to catch up. He was certainly aware of them.

It was a slow day for me, i wrote them a letter, attached the print out of the "no annual fee" application, and also included the cancelled (cut up) card that came today.

Finkface Feb 12, 2013 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by reggie108 (Post 20236772)
When i requested to cancel, the agent asked me if i used the companion cert yet, i replied no. He placed me on hold for about 2 mins to complete the cancellation.

I logged into my mileage plan account and as of right now the cert is still there, along with the 2 entries (feb 1)for the bonus points of 10k and 15k. I would assume that the agent is aware of these and will claw them back. He might have already clawed them back, but the system is slow to catch up. He was certainly aware of them.

It was a slow day for me, i wrote them a letter, attached the print out of the "no annual fee" application, and also included the cancelled (cut up) card that came today.

I will update you if I get any joy from the manager tomorrow after they have seen my fax. Maybe I should be booking a flight tonight? :)
I would be satisfied if they honored the $0 for even the first year. If they do, feel free to PM me for my details if you want to take it further but it sounds as if you have already cancelled and can't go back now.

reggie108 Feb 12, 2013 11:05 pm

Before i hung up on the agent, he told me in his chipper voice that "if i change my mind i have 90 days to re instate the card"

But whatever, I don't need to do business with a bank that is clearly in the wrong. I have sent them the letter for review, if they would like to contact me about it and try to work it out, i am listening, but the ball is in their court.

I am not expecting anything to happen.

yerffej201 Feb 12, 2013 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by robsaw (Post 20211807)
It is back to $75 fee now at the on-line application.

Darn, missed it!
It'll be interesting if they actually honor though...

Finkface Feb 12, 2013 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by yerffej201 (Post 20237073)
Darn, missed it!
It'll be interesting if they actually honor though...

I'm not holding my breath. She made it pretty clear that it was unlikely.

robsaw Feb 13, 2013 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by reggie108 (Post 20236913)
But whatever, I don't need to do business with a bank that is clearly in the wrong.

The wrongness here may simply be an error by someone updating their website. I always assumed this was a mistake and there is general nothing either morally or legally wrong with a business correcting a mistake. Sort of like the thread elsewhere on here about the ethics of those that take advantage of obvious fare publication errors. If BofA would have honoured the mistake I would have said "good on them" but I wouldn't say they were wrong for declining to proceed with a legitimate mistake.

pokee Feb 13, 2013 1:25 pm

Not cool...they should be honoring their mistake...all reputable companies do.

On a flight with AS on Friday, they were totally PUSHING these credit card applications to both Americans and Canadians. Even the pilot got in on the action! It was really WEIRD to hear the pilot asking passengers to apply for a credit card. Almost unprofessional! Just fly the plane, okay?

yerffej201 Feb 13, 2013 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface (Post 20237079)

Isn't it cancel card, get pro-rata refund, keep miles?

jackal Feb 13, 2013 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface (Post 20237079)

They'd be wrong not to. I would have held out for a bit more before canceling the card.

Finkface Feb 13, 2013 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by jackal (Post 20244258)
They'd be wrong not to. I would have held out for a bit more before canceling the card.

Well they have restored my faith. I called today and the rep (a different one) reviewed the notes in the file and they have honored the $0 annual fee. The adjustment had already been made and the account is showing a zero balance owing. I was shocked and told him I was impressed with their customer service. I did not have to argue, talk to a supe, threaten to cancel or anything. Just the conversation with the rep yesterday, which was very cordial, and the faxing in of my screenshots. Well done on their part. Now if only we could get online access back.....

robsaw Feb 14, 2013 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface (Post 20244312)
Now if only we could get online access back.....

I think waiving the $75 annual fee due to their error will be easy compared to getting online access back. As the only BofA CC product in Canada, which has a very limited distribution potential, my guess is that the card could easily die whenever their agreement with AS is up for renewal. Hence, no incentive to bring on-line access back. The thing is, back before BofA tookover and integrated with MBNA there was a Canadian AS VISA card that had on-line access through the usual BofA website. I believe part of the issue is that MBNA Canada (now owned TD) still handles all the AS Mastercard processing.