FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Alaska Airlines Canadian MasterCard (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1342349-alaska-airlines-canadian-mastercard.html)

Finkface Aug 13, 2013 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by Toronto1970 (Post 21266586)
What on earth is the difference between an "Alaska Airlines mile" and an "Alaska Airlines World Elite mile"? I realize that the card is a "World Elite" card, but that doesn't change the type of Alaska miles earned (?!?!?!)

I just spoke to them and there is no difference between a regular Alaska mile and a World Elite Alaska mile. They are exactly the same and the AS program doesn't change at all. She said they just call them World Elite miles because they come from a World Elite MasterCard instead of a Platinum MasterCard. And the only 2 differences in the programs are concierge service and price protection. Everything else is exactly the same as the Platinum card program. But hey, for 10,000 miles each and a shiny black card, I went ahead and upgraded both of my cards.

jason_stn21 Aug 13, 2013 8:38 pm

Anyone know if this upgrade to World Elite will result in a change to your number or an inquiry on your bureau?

Finkface Aug 13, 2013 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by jason_stn21 (Post 21268310)
Anyone know if this upgrade to World Elite will result in a change to your number or an inquiry on your bureau?

It will change your card number and your pin won't carry over but no inquiry. I was upgraded on the spot, no waiting, no inquiry. She said it was because it is only offered to select customers who are pre-screened (not pre-approved). Individual income over $70K and/or household income over $120K and other factors so no inquiry was necessary. She read me the disclosure which is the same as in post #144 and there was no consent for inquiry. I did my husband's upgrade online and again, it was instant with no delay that one usually gets when an inquiry is made. Your old account is closed and a new card sent. She put me on hold to check when the old account would be closed and came back to say the old card is valid until I activate the new one. Everything will be moved over to the new card (charges, miles earned etc.) except pre authorized payments. I have to change those manually. And call in to select a new pin.

jerryhung Aug 13, 2013 10:36 pm

Only came across this card due to this thread

so in general, is the card worth it for East Coast pax?

I'm YYZ-based, so closest Alaska route (for companion) is probably ORD-SEA (I'm in Waterloo and can fly YKF-ORD for 4500 Avios one-way)

25K Alaska, at 1.5 cents (using @lucky's valuation) is about $375
- $75 annual fee = $300 value on sign up PLUS the not-sure-how-useful companion

How would this compare to the WestJet card in Canada?
They're very similar, $99 annual fee, $250 signup, $99 companion
http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/credit-c...astercard.html

Enjoy a welcome bonus of $250 WestJet dollars‡ and an annual round-trip companion flight for $99 with your first purchase1

todd-r Aug 14, 2013 9:05 am

Originally Posted by jerryhung (Post 21268841)
is the card worth it for East Coast pax?

I recently moved from Vancouver to Toronto. Still have this card and use it where AMEX (SPG) is not taken. The annual fee is lowest for a premium card.

Alaska has great partners and redemption amounts are not over the roof. Also, scam-charges (aka fuel surcharges) are only levied on BA awards.

The companion ticket is of little value to me now so have given to friends/family who live on the west coast.

pokee Aug 14, 2013 10:43 am

I've been waiting to apply for this card once online access was restored, so the time is NOW! BUT...there is the World Elite black card and then the 'regular' card (where current cardholders get a 10K bonus to 'upgrade' to). Do you think if I apply for the 'regular' card today, I'll get the black World Elite one? If not, would it be possible to get the extra 10K bonus to upgrade to the new black world elite card after I activate the 'old' card?

vanculloden Aug 14, 2013 11:01 am

I'm YYZ-based, so closest Alaska route (for companion) is probably ORD-SEA (I'm in Waterloo and can fly YKF-ORD for 4500 Avios one-way)

The problem with the west jet card is that the companion pass is only valid for the continental US and Canada. No Hawaii, Alaska, Mexico, etc...I regularly fly to Mexico, so it's useless.

Seems odd to have a special travel credit card and then make it useless for half your destinations...

vanculloden Aug 14, 2013 11:03 am

I never had an MBNA login or anything before, how do I get access to this new online area? And where is the link for the upgrade to the black card?

vanculloden Aug 14, 2013 11:04 am

The companion pass is only valid for the continental US and Canada. So it is useless for anyone who wants to travel to Hawaii, Mexico, Alaska, etc...

Seems stupid to have an 'elite' travel card and then make half your destinations off limits...

Finkface Aug 14, 2013 11:10 am

Originally Posted by vanculloden (Post 21271888)
I never had an MBNA login or anything before, how do I get access to this new online area? And where is the link for the upgrade to the black card?

Just go to their log in page https://www.onlineaccess.ca/NASApp/N...s/LoginDisplay and click 'enroll' instead of 'sign in'. Have your card ready as they will ask you a bunch of information. I didn't have all of it (like last payment amount) but if you fill in most of the fields, they will connect you to a page to choose a log in name, sitekey and password.

As for the black card, you have to be pre-qualified based on income and other factors. If you are, you will see the banner offering you the opportunity to upgrade. See post #147 above. Click on 'view my rewards account' and the banner will be there if you qualify. Accept the terms and click accept and you will get instant approval. I called only because I wanted to know what a 'World Elite Mile' was and she read me the terms over the phone and clicked submit for me.

vanculloden Aug 14, 2013 11:23 am

Originally Posted by Finkface (Post 21271945)
Just go to their log in page https://www.onlineaccess.ca/NASApp/N...s/LoginDisplay and click 'enroll' instead of 'sign in'. Have your card ready as they will ask you a bunch of information. I didn't have all of it (like last payment amount) but if you fill in most of the fields, they will connect you to a page to choose a log in name, sitekey and password.

As for the black card, you have to be pre-qualified based on income and other factors. If you are, you will see the banner offering you the opportunity to upgrade. See post #147 above. Click on 'view my rewards account' and the banner will be there if you qualify. Accept the terms and click accept and you will get instant approval. I called only because I wanted to know what a 'World Elite Mile' was and she read me the terms over the phone and clicked submit for me.

Thank you. It worked. And that big blue banner is there. They like me! They really like me!

vanculloden Aug 14, 2013 11:27 am

One other question for you guys. Do points expire? I notice on my points collected page there is a line where it says 842 points have been 'cleared from the system'?

bevvy5 Aug 14, 2013 1:42 pm

Odd that one of my cards gave me an option to upgade to the black card and one didn't. Oh well, 10K miles is better than a kick in the head.

Finkface Aug 14, 2013 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by bevvy5 (Post 21273055)
Odd that one of my cards gave me an option to upgade to the black card and one didn't. Oh well, 10K miles is better than a kick in the head.

Same here but I was planning to cancel one in January anyway so I just did it while I was on the phone with them.

jerryhung Aug 17, 2013 4:14 pm

GCR is now offering $75 rebate on application, making this card 1st year free, woo hoo
http://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/d...aska-Airlines/

Cash Back Rebate: $75.00

Apply Today - Alaska Airlines MasterCard

•25,000 Bonus Miles upon approval††

•An annual coach Companion Fare every year from $118 (USD)($99 base fare, plus taxes and fees from $19)‡

•1 mile per $1 spent on every eligible purchase‡

•3 miles per $1 spent on Alaska Airlines tickets, cargo purchases, in-flight purchases and vacation packages‡

•Redeem miles for flights to over 700 destinations worldwide

•$50 off a new Board Room membership initiation fee2

•Secure 24-hour online access to your account information

•International acceptance at millions of locations

•Click to learn more about Enhanced security and protection with Chip & PIN technology and PayPass

* Visit Alaska Airlines MasterCard website application page for further details

* PLEASE READ TO MAKE SURE YOU GET A CASH BACK REBATE

• Click link above. Do not browse or leave application page before it is completed.
• Please click from GCR again if session expires.
• Must apply online.
• Cash Back Rebate will be paid upon card approval.