FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Question about AA/AS benefits on AS flight tomorrow morning (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1294835-question-about-aa-benefits-flight-tomorrow-morning.html)

GallyChef Dec 24, 2011 7:41 pm

Question about AA/AS benefits on AS flight tomorrow morning

Hello all,
I'm relatively new to AS, having just moved to PDX a year ago. I'm set to achieve AS MVP this year, but just barely, with my last flight from HNL-PDX getting me over the hump on 12/30.
I am AA gold, and am wondering whether I may use my AAdvantage number to get my bags checked in for free and then simply change the ticket back to the AS number when at the gate (having already checked in)... I have some preferred seats for the flight, but don't really care all that much if I end up losing them, but saving the dough on the flights would be nice...

Any thoughts/experiences? This would be a one time (r/t) deal, as once I'm MVP I won't need to worry about the baggage fee, so just trying to figure out how to make it work this time...

Thanks!

evoG Dec 24, 2011 9:53 pm

since nobody has responded yet I'll take a stab,

you could try what you've suggested, I think gate agents should be able to change your FF# after you've checked in, though you might have a simpler time checking in with your AS # and flashing your AA credentials, charm, and good cheer at the manned check in counter to waive the bag fees. If that doesn't work, you could have them enter your AA number, legitimately waive your fees, and then try to switch back at the gate.

oneLnot2 Dec 24, 2011 11:55 pm

I believe that the FF number must match the benefits you want. So, if you want the free bags with your AA card, that has to be in the record. I believe that the agents are being instructed to not change FF #'s. Try it though. Report with the results.

GallyChef Dec 25, 2011 6:12 am

Phone agent told me hypothetically I could change the ff no at the gate, but that was with no mention of the benefits swap. I'll give it a shot and let you all know. Thank you!

bkkth Dec 26, 2011 10:40 pm

AS to AA or vv

Last year when I was AA EXP but nothing on AS, I flew SEA-LAX-JFK on AS and AA. I had to pay to check my bag leaving SEA, but on the return from JFK it was free. AS cut me no slack.

Points Scrounger Dec 27, 2011 9:57 am

Originally Posted by bkkth (Post 17696159)
Last year when I was AA EXP but nothing on AS, I flew SEA-LAX-JFK on AS and AA. I had to pay to check my bag leaving SEA, but on the return from JFK it was free. AS cut me no slack.

The reciprocity between AS and AA is very new.

GallyChef Dec 30, 2011 12:23 am

FYI: worked without a hitch upon my departure from PDX: checked in online, dropped the bag at the first class desk, and went to the gate. Gate agent didn't bat an eye at the request to change my ff#.

Thank you again!

UAAAPeter Jan 2, 2012 2:24 am

Oh interesting

Originally Posted by jnagar (Post 17714281)
FYI: worked without a hitch upon my departure from PDX: checked in online, dropped the bag at the first class desk, and went to the gate. Gate agent didn't bat an eye at the request to change my ff#.

Thank you again!

I tried to change my # from DL to AS after checkin on line for DL metal and ticket (no bag fiddles or any funny stuff involved) and it was not possible. The Crown room says it is locked once you check in. I called the mileage people at DL and they confirmed it. I know you can change CO to UA mid travel (though it is irrelevant now and also it back dated a CO to UA after travel to my annoyance) so there are different operational approaches I guess from airline to airline. :rolleyes: