Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Question about AA/AS benefits on AS flight tomorrow morning

Old Dec 24, 11, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Hello all,
I'm relatively new to AS, having just moved to PDX a year ago. I'm set to achieve AS MVP this year, but just barely, with my last flight from HNL-PDX getting me over the hump on 12/30.
I am AA gold, and am wondering whether I may use my AAdvantage number to get my bags checked in for free and then simply change the ticket back to the AS number when at the gate (having already checked in)... I have some preferred seats for the flight, but don't really care all that much if I end up losing them, but saving the dough on the flights would be nice...

Any thoughts/experiences? This would be a one time (r/t) deal, as once I'm MVP I won't need to worry about the baggage fee, so just trying to figure out how to make it work this time...

Thanks!
Old Dec 24, 11, 10:53 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
since nobody has responded yet I'll take a stab,

you could try what you've suggested, I think gate agents should be able to change your FF# after you've checked in, though you might have a simpler time checking in with your AS # and flashing your AA credentials, charm, and good cheer at the manned check in counter to waive the bag fees. If that doesn't work, you could have them enter your AA number, legitimately waive your fees, and then try to switch back at the gate.
Old Dec 25, 11, 12:55 am

Programs: AS MVP,Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Gold, Starbucks Gold card
I believe that the FF number must match the benefits you want. So, if you want the free bags with your AA card, that has to be in the record. I believe that the agents are being instructed to not change FF #'s. Try it though. Report with the results.
Old Dec 25, 11, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Phone agent told me hypothetically I could change the ff no at the gate, but that was with no mention of the benefits swap. I'll give it a shot and let you all know. Thank you!
Old Dec 26, 11, 11:40 pm

Programs: AS 75K, AA EXP, Hilton Gold
AS to AA or vv

Last year when I was AA EXP but nothing on AS, I flew SEA-LAX-JFK on AS and AA. I had to pay to check my bag leaving SEA, but on the return from JFK it was free. AS cut me no slack.
Old Dec 27, 11, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by bkkth View Post
Last year when I was AA EXP but nothing on AS, I flew SEA-LAX-JFK on AS and AA. I had to pay to check my bag leaving SEA, but on the return from JFK it was free. AS cut me no slack.
The reciprocity between AS and AA is very new.
Old Dec 30, 11, 1:23 am
Original Poster

FYI: worked without a hitch upon my departure from PDX: checked in online, dropped the bag at the first class desk, and went to the gate. Gate agent didn't bat an eye at the request to change my ff#.

Thank you again!
Old Jan 2, 12, 3:24 am

Programs: UA life 1K, 2MM; AA Life Pt 3mm; DL nada now!; AS nada now; BA, FD, CX, LH, DD, Amex Pt, Diners
Oh interesting

Originally Posted by jnagar View Post
FYI: worked without a hitch upon my departure from PDX: checked in online, dropped the bag at the first class desk, and went to the gate. Gate agent didn't bat an eye at the request to change my ff#.

Thank you again!
I tried to change my # from DL to AS after checkin on line for DL metal and ticket (no bag fiddles or any funny stuff involved) and it was not possible. The Crown room says it is locked once you check in. I called the mileage people at DL and they confirmed it. I know you can change CO to UA mid travel (though it is irrelevant now and also it back dated a CO to UA after travel to my annoyance) so there are different operational approaches I guess from airline to airline.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: