Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Early boarding for gate checks

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2011, 1:39 am

Programs: AC*E35
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
So basically the gate is becoming the new ticket counter....just haul your bag past the old ticket counter, through security, and to the gate....*bingo*, you just saved $20!
Yeah that's what it seems like. Because evidently it's better for the airline to get more bags out of the cabin for OTD etc.

But that begs the question, is it fair for those who paid to check bags?
Old Jul 9, 2011, 2:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
This will probably mess up w&b with the ETOPS Hawaii flights as probably many will take advantage of this, and when the bag is sent below it adds weight to the calculation, opposed to being carried onboard where it counts as that individuals weight. Saw this request for AS137 PDX-ANC tonight but did not stick around to see how it worked. I stopped into the boardroom for a brew and some soup while the preboarding occured.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 7:50 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by highlander88
But that begs the question, is it fair for those who paid to check bags?
Sure, it's fair.

Folks that already checked their bags chose to do so because they:
  1. Had a bag that was too big to take on board
  2. Had a bag that was too heavy for them to lift
  3. Had too many bags to take on board
  4. Or chose not to take the bag on board for convenience purposes

The fact that someone else is offered a "deal" to gate check a bag doesn't impact those folks at all. It's a completely independent decision.

And, if it helps get the plane out on time, then they've received an ancillary benefit from the gate-check process.

And don't minimize the hassle factor of getting the bag back upon arrival. The gate-checkers went to the airport with the full expectation of a carryon bag. Now they need to head to baggage claim to retrieve their gate-checked bag.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Jsty
At this point the only real drawback of gate-checking to get on-board early is that you now rule out any chance of getting that last-minute upgrade.
Not necessarily. Many gate agents handle upgrades by the book
Old Jul 9, 2011, 10:35 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by dgreen12
Sure, it's fair.

Folks that already checked their bags chose to do so because they:
  1. Had a bag that was too big to take on board
  2. Had a bag that was too heavy for them to lift
  3. Had too many bags to take on board
  4. Or chose not to take the bag on board for convenience purposes
Or had liquids greater than 3 oz, a knife, or any other non-security-friendly item. (A bottle of wine or two is the most common reason I check, and I'll bring my chef's knife if I'm on a moderately long trip and don't trust the kitchen I'll be using, even in an otherwise-carryon bag.)
Old Jul 9, 2011, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by ashill
Or had liquids greater than 3 oz, a knife, or any other non-security-friendly item. (A bottle of wine or two is the most common reason I check, and I'll bring my chef's knife if I'm on a moderately long trip and don't trust the kitchen I'll be using, even in an otherwise-carryon bag.)
Yeah I actually agree. Reason why I check luggage.

Oh and another thing. This brings up the point that the airlines cause their own problem by charging separately for baggage, which I think is silly and just creates the daily mess in the overheads

Last edited by jackal; Jul 9, 2011 at 7:57 pm Reason: Merging consecutive posts
Old Jul 14, 2011, 10:59 pm

So for the record, HNL departing flight staffed by DL agents, the boarding order was:

1. Families/needing assistance
2. First Class
3. MVP Gold/75K
4. GATE CHECK
5. Rows 25-xx
Old Jul 15, 2011, 12:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
This brings up the point that the airlines cause their own problem by charging separately for baggage, which I think is silly and just creates the daily mess in the overheads
It is silly, but the travelling public created the silliness.

As a group, we have demonstrated our ability, time after time, to choose the lowest fare without regard to baggage benefits or fees.

The only reason AS began charging a baggage fee was because the general public didn't differentiate between an airline with no baggage fees and an airline with a baggage fee.

If AS (without baggage fees) was $10 more than Delta with a baggage fee, AS didn't get the ticket revenue even though their package price/value was better than Delta's.

So I guess the current predicament is "shame on us".
Old Jul 15, 2011, 12:16 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by jimmychang
Well, consider this a free gate check offer. I think it was only free for elite members before if the overhead was not full? Early boarding or not of course is up to you.
This isn't accurate. Gate check has always been free...as long as you are gate checking something that is part of your normal carryon limit (size and # of pieces) If however, you are trying to carry-on more than you are allowed, we charge you $25 instead of the $20 you would have paid if you had checked it when you were supposed to (at the counter)

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
So basically the gate is becoming the new ticket counter....just haul your bag past the old ticket counter, through security, and to the gate....*bingo*, you just saved $20!
As stated above, its only free if it fits within the normal carryon limitations
Old Aug 17, 2011, 4:16 pm

I flew BUR-SEA last week. I'm AA Gold, so I board right after first class does. But I went to check about gate-checking my bag anyway because it was heavy. The gate agent mistakenly thought I was AS gold. It turns out there is a difference in what happens to gate checked bags depending on elite status.

If you are NOT at elite status your bag will be checked and you will retrieve it at baggage claim. If you are (and i think it may only be Gold and above), your bag will be given back to you as you get off the plane.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 6:00 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
So for the record, HNL departing flight staffed by DL agents, the boarding order was:

1. Families/needing assistance
2. First Class
3. MVP Gold/75K
4. GATE CHECK
5. Rows 25-xx
Sorry for asking this a month after your post but did they just skip over the MVP/Partner Elites category completely? That should come after MVP Gold/75K.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 9:52 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Westcoaster
Sorry for asking this a month after your post but did they just skip over the MVP/Partner Elites category completely? That should come after MVP Gold/75K.
It wouldn't surprise me. Last year before MVP gold, I noticed that a lot of the time, they don't call for MVPs, especially at airports without an AS operated counter. My worst luck being at Orlando. If they go straight to general boarding, you can just walk down the first class side of the boarding line, and the agent will let you through before anymore from general boarding. You can also get in the First Class/ MVP Gold line near the end and often they will call for MVP's before they scan your ticket, or just let you go through.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 2:47 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by kwl747
It wouldn't surprise me. Last year before MVP gold, I noticed that a lot of the time, they don't call for MVPs, especially at airports without an AS operated counter. My worst luck being at Orlando. If they go straight to general boarding, you can just walk down the first class side of the boarding line, and the agent will let you through before anymore from general boarding. You can also get in the First Class/ MVP Gold line near the end and often they will call for MVP's before they scan your ticket, or just let you go through.
Thanks for the ideas. The lack of consistent preboarding with both AS and QX has been my single biggest disappointment with MVP status. I have called, e-mailed, and snailmailed multiple times all to no avail. I always get the response that official company policy is to offer preboarding every time. But they don't bother to enforce this with their GAs so the "company policy" business is like some French pastry -- all show and no go. The GAs seem free to do whatever they want and management really doesn't seem to care.

Maybe they'll be consistent with offering preboarding for gate checks because it helps them get what they want -- everyone on the plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.