New York City (JFK/EWR)
Boston (BOS)
Toronto (YYZ)
Chicago (ORD)
Vancouver (YVR)
Los Angeles (LAX)
San Francisco (SFO)

Notes and tips:

You cannot book CX award flights on alaskaair.com.

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...rs/cathay.aspx

Award Travel on Cathay Pacific

Book Your Award Travel: To use Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan™ Miles on Cathay Pacific, call Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily
Both BA and JL websites can be used to search for CX partner inventory. JL is typically a more accurate engine. BA should only be used on a per-segment basis (in other words, do not search for LAX-BKK, search for LAX-HKG, then HKG-BKK). Note that AS award availability is only for 330 days, the BA engine will show availability to 365 days.

There are mixed reports on getting a CX stopover outside of HKG. By rule, HKG is the only allowed stopover. Stopovers are not allowed on intra-Asia award bookings (you will need a North American segment to be able to book a stopover).

All CX awards except for the intra-Asia award must either originate or end in HKG or North America. If you wish to fly Middle East/India/Europe/Asia/Australia to a CX destination beyond your initial flight to or from HKG that is not a North American destination, it will be two awards: XXX-HKG and HKG-YYY. CX intra-Asia awards do not include a stopover.

CX releases availability close in. If you do a change where you book another cabin and upgrade to F (which often may be the only way to get F on CX), you will be charged the $125 rebooking fee (waived for MVPG+).

*Have the AS CSR perform the search one leg at a time (Transoceanic first). That might yield more results than the whole itinerary at once.*

The CX forum has a FAQ on the CX experience.

Award eligible Destinations
By region.

(Dragon Air is not allowed on AS award)

Africa
Johannesburg (JNB)

Asia
Bangkok (BKK)
Beijing (PEK)
Cebu (CEB)
Denpasar (Bali) (DPS)
Fukuoka (FUK)
Ho Chi Minh City (SGN)
Hong Kong (HKG)
Jakarta (CGK)
Kuala Lumpur (KUL) [Ends 30 April]
Manila (MNL)
Osaka (KIX)
Sapporo (CTS)
Seoul (ICN)
Shanghai (PVG)
Singapore (SIN)
Surabaya (SUB)
Taipei (TPE)
Tokyo (HND)

Australia/NZ
Adelaide (ADL)
Auckland (AKL)
Brisbane (BNE)
Cairns (CNS)
Melbourne (MEL)
Perth (PER)
Sydney (SYD)

India/Middle East

Bahrain (BAH)
Chennai (MAA)
Colombo (CMB)
Delhi (DEL)
Doha (DOH) [Discontinued as of Feb 2016]
Dubai (DXB)
Hyderabad (HYD)
Malé (MLE)
Mumbai (BOM)
Riyadh (RUH)
Tel Aviv (TLV)

Europe (To/from HKG only. NA is separate award)

Amsterdam (AMS)
Barcelona (BCN)
Düsseldorf (DUS)
Frankfurt (FRA)
London (LHR, LGW)
Manchester (MAN)
Milan (MXP)
Paris (CDG)
Rome (FCO)
Zurich (ZRH)
Print Wikipost

CX (Cathay) Award availability

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2015, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Small point - when I've modified seat assignments using QR, my known traveler number falls out. Naturally, if originating on CX this won't matter, but if taking an AS (or AA) connecting flight, it means you don't get Pre. There's probably a way to reattached the KTN, and maybe this was just a fluke. But figured I'd mention it. BTW, 2A is the best CX seat as FAs will rarely walk by unless serving you. Problem with 1A is you might get somebody needy behind you, meaning there will be tons of foot traffic by your seat. IIRC, 2A also has an additional window?
Ive only done CX 1 once and it was a couple years ago (my first intl F flight) I did notice some FAs uses the A side aisle to get back and forth from J, i think they did it to compensate the other side since they were less private. Ive never combined an AS flight with a partner on anything international so no need to worry about the trusted traveler number falling out for me

Originally Posted by nevansm
Anyways, word to the wise, always feed segments one by one after finding them on other sources and you should be all set.
Sorry I should have told you that you will need agents to look segment by segment to get the CX awards to work right after looking up segment by segment on BA site. I had that happen once on a BOS-JFK-SFO-LAX-ANC F booking. They couldn't see the BOS-JFK-LAX when i tried to drop the SFO leg. Once they added JFK to the search criteria it came up.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Small point - when I've modified seat assignments using QR, my known traveler number falls out. Naturally, if originating on CX this won't matter, but if taking an AS (or AA) connecting flight, it means you don't get Pre. There's probably a way to reattached the KTN, and maybe this was just a fluke. But figured I'd mention it. BTW, 2A is the best CX seat as FAs will rarely walk by unless serving you. Problem with 1A is you might get somebody needy behind you, meaning there will be tons of foot traffic by your seat. IIRC, 2A also has an additional window?
Yes 2A has an extra window but one needs to call CX to get the 2A. I have found calling CX is not as easy as in the past - long hold time, indifferent agents. Ironically the US call center has a shorter hold than the HKG number but still a long hold. Somewhere I also read about people initially were assigned to 2A got removed and they did not find out until much later when they went in to check their seats.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has anyone used the QR site to select seats lately?

Just did a change on existing AS awards. On QR site the new flight correctly showing up, but I could no longer find the function to change seats.

i have not received new e-tickets from AS yet. The agent said it would take a while for the new tickets to come. One PNR has upfared and date//flight changed. The other PNR has date/flight changed only.

Saudi site gave an error on the old ticket numbers directly copied from AS site. In the past even a ticket is exchanged, Saudi site would still pull up the ticket details and would give the coupon status as exchange.

The last time I used Saudi site for this purpose was in 2014 with UA issused 016 tickets. Saudi site was a godsent tool to monitor UA tickets being issued correctly. I dont know if Saudi site can still up other issuers' tickets.

I have not checked the AS tickets on Saudi site before the change. The failure to pull up the AS tickets on Saudi site worries me.

EDIT
Got the new tickets. Apparently AS tickets are not pullable on Saudi site. CheckMyTrip has the new tickets.

Last edited by Happy; Jan 8, 2016 at 9:42 pm
Old Jan 11, 2016, 5:48 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
I am having problems getting AS to see CX award availability. Decided to not to anything complex and just a simple SFO-HKG. One the BA site I can see several days with P/E, J and F availability. I call AS to book and they can only see P/E for all of the days where I can see lots of J and some F.

So, I call AA, and they have no problem seeing the inventory so I book the ticket with my AA miles.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 5:58 am

Location: in your favourite lounge, clearing the whole buffet
Programs: LH Maximizer of the year, BA Blue Label killer
If I book an intra-Asian flight with connecting in HKG, e.g. BKK-HKG-ICN, will this count as one journey with 12500mi for the whole ticket or 12500mi for each sector?
Old Jan 11, 2016, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by fqtv_kraven
If I book an intra-Asian flight with connecting in HKG, e.g. BKK-HKG-ICN, will this count as one journey with 12500mi for the whole ticket or 12500mi for each sector?
Should be a single award I think.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 11:17 am

Hi -

As long as your layover is less than 24 hours, you will only be charged for one redemption.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Orwaid
Hi -

As long as your layover is less than 24 hours, you will only be charged for one redemption.
Correct. No stop-over allowed on intra-regional partner award.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 12:52 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
I'm thinking hard about going to Australia early next year, but the problem is I only have enough miles for a one-way redemption in QF J or F. So, given what I've heard here, heading home via CX (maybe even with a HKG stopover) on a last-minute redemption once I've earned those extra miles sounds tempting. Since I don't want to find myself having to buy a last-minute one-way Y fare, though, I'm curious whether you all have any tips on securing space in advance. Will I be safe if I just wait until a week or so before my return and keep my schedule flexible, or should I book a Y or Y+ award home farther in advance? And in that case, would I be able to upfare to J or F closer to departure if space were to appear?
Old Jan 12, 2016, 3:37 pm

On CX awards, can you have your stopover in YVR on a one-way award?
Old Jan 12, 2016, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by yerffej201
On CX awards, can you have your stopover in YVR on a one-way award?
Did you read the wiki, conveniently at the top of every page of the thread?

There are mixed reports on getting a CX stopover outside of HKG. By rule, HKG is the only allowed stopover.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by jinglish
I'm thinking hard about going to Australia early next year, but the problem is I only have enough miles for a one-way redemption in QF J or F. So, given what I've heard here, heading home via CX (maybe even with a HKG stopover) on a last-minute redemption once I've earned those extra miles sounds tempting. Since I don't want to find myself having to buy a last-minute one-way Y fare, though, I'm curious whether you all have any tips on securing space in advance. Will I be safe if I just wait until a week or so before my return and keep my schedule flexible, or should I book a Y or Y+ award home farther in advance? And in that case, would I be able to upfare to J or F closer to departure if space were to appear?
Book a Y or Y+ if you can...if you're gold or 75k, you can change to J or F subject to availability without any charges or fees (except maybe tax differences).
Old Jan 13, 2016, 1:38 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Did you read the wiki, conveniently at the top of every page of the thread?
Missed that. sorry!
Old Jan 13, 2016, 6:19 pm

Programs: AS MVPGold 75K
Traveling soon. I'm in first and daughter in business LAX-HKG (hoping an award seat will open in first). Curious if she will be allowed to come and sit with me for a bit in the guest seat in my spacious seating area and perhaps have a drink with me. I know if she was in first it wouldn't be problem at all and in fact could have meals together etc. But not sure if they even let a business passenger into the first class area.

Anyone experience split class seating when traveling with family and know if they allow this?

Getting excited for two weeks of adventures!
Old Jan 13, 2016, 6:33 pm

the answer is no.

I would recommend putting your daughter in row 11, while you sit in row 2. You will need status to book row 11 in advance. 12 may be available. This way she is within earshot in the event of an emergency (row 2 and 11 are separated by a curtain).

You will be allowed to look in on your daughter. In fact, you'll be able to walk through the entire airplane en route to HKG.

Your experience may differ flying back to the U.S. In that direction, my experience is crews ask F pax not to leave their cabin, due to U.S. regulations. Once or twice this hasn't been enforced, but of my 7 or so CX F roundtrips I've had free reign flying to HKG, but not flying home.

Under no circumstance will your daughter be allowed up to F. It will irritate the flight crew, it will put them and you in an incredibly awkward position for even posing the question. I'd fear an awkward flight if you get off on the wrong foot by asking.

I hope this helps. I know you asked the question innocently enough, but I think you'll find it touches a nerve with people on FT.

Enjoy the vacation, and I hope you both get up front. 1A/2A best for people traveling together, as there's less foot traffic on that side of the cabin.

Jamie

Last edited by jamienbaker; Jan 13, 2016 at 7:01 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.